Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
There was a shooting in New Orleans? This wouldn't be the first time that happened, but I think you made this thread to be spiteful because it went down on MLK day, not to report a shooting in New Orleans . Not racist, just to be spiteful.
No. It's just pitiful that blacks can't all come together and behave themselves on "their day"... because MLK day is sure as heck NOT my holiday. As an Asian, it means nothing at all to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 AM

73,062 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. It's just pitiful that blacks can't all come together and behave themselves on "their day"... because MLK day is sure as heck NOT my holiday. As an Asian, it means nothing at all to me.
Well, if it wasn't for Dr. King, you wouldn't have been able to vote. Last time I checked, it was because of Dr. King's movement that people of all races were granted the right to vote. It isn't just "Black people's day". It's for everyone.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:28 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, if it wasn't for Dr. King, you wouldn't have been able to vote. Last time I checked, it was because of Dr. King's movement that people of all races were granted the right to vote. It isn't just "Black people's day". It's for everyone.
Actually, I didn't need Dr. King's movement in order to vote because I am an Asian who was born in the US. And that was a right going back to before WWII.

Quote:
Asian Pacific Americans born on American soil were American citizens and had the right to vote. When 77,000 Americans of Japanese ancestry were put in American concentration camps during World War II, however, their right to vote was not allowed.
History of Voting Rights in America » Cobb-LaMarche 2004 - Ballot Recount

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,708,498 times
Quote:
So, you're not a humanist then?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 AM

73,062 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Actually, I didn't need Dr. King's movement in order to vote because I am an Asian who was born in the US. And that was a right going back to before WWII.

History of Voting Rights in America » Cobb-LaMarche 2004 - Ballot Recount
Actually, you might want to read this: http://www.advancingequality.org/files/vra_kit.pdf

Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,708,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Simple. Because you don't want to address that aspect of it. If it had not been for Africans selling their fellow Africans into slavery? Then their decendents would still be in Africa...and all that implies. Perhaps even still slaves, since it still exists in some parts of the continent. Am I wrong? If so, how and why?
You're partly correct, but it still took a buyer. And those buyers treated that new human property they purchased with violence, humiliation and then even continued that violence/humiliation against them after they were no longer property, but were allowed to be human(just like the white man). Also, we're talking about this country, TexReb, not the African continent who has seen its fair share of white colonization which has helped contribute to its unstableness. Nobody is wrong here, TexReb. It's just that there are more variables to the situation than I think your eyes are being able to see, at this moment in time. The cute ad hominem "marxist line" was just too darn cute, too, in one of your post to me. I can tell this info is troubling to your psyche, since you feel it's stomping on your proud confederate roots. Don't let it be, though, because awareness is one of our greatest gifts. It helps us to grow as an individual, and then as a species.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,228,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I feel in my gut that this thread was started mainly out of spite. I know the OP's history. Something tells me this was more out of spite than any concern for the victims of such shootings. He could have picked better things to say. It was a tragedy that this happened at all, and especially on Dr. King Day. It was, especially when you consider that Dr. King stood for nonviolence. He made things work through nonviolence.

That being said, I have a feeling that this thread was started mainly to spite Dr. King Day, and to spite Blacks. If it wasn't, I would have heard more concern out of the OP than I did. Instead, I heard some stupid joke that went along the line of "SHM they're living the dream". Sounds more like an insult masqueraded as a joke.
We all know the OP doesn't give a flying **** about who was affected. It was spite. As for Edward, you tell us to stop worry about motivation and address the issue. We try to but he runs his ****ing mouth about "blacks did this and blacks did that". I'm well aware of the issue, but as I've said before It does not matter how much I talk about it, I cannot be inside every black person's brain. Those blacks are a small population of the black race but yet some how we are ALL expected to take the heat for their actions.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I didn't realize guns weren't supposed to go off on MLK Day. Are they supposed to jam or something?

Criminality doesn't take a day off.
SMH here. The LACK of respect for what Dr King had to say by the hood rats. If it was a KKK rally and some white Klucker got offed; it'd bother me less.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
I'm glad you brought up family cause that's the greatest impact, but do we honestly know how the black family got broken up, it wasn't drugs nor poverty but prison. The whole prison industrial complex is what tore the Black Community apart, just by taking the father away from the child.
Uh; what did the "fathers" DO to wind up in prison?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
forget the content of character, most blacks and hispanics enjoy crime. i am hispanic and i see it first hand. put a bunch of hispanics and blacks in a community and crime rate increases. that is just the way it is. we tend to behave like animals when we are all together.
Uh; more like LOW CLASS people: nacos, N words and PWT. Middle class people DON'T want that kind of drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies