Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 AM

989 posts, read 2,762,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Good morning. I actually have a life to tend to. Was that facts ot propaganda?

I saw this on the internet this morning and thought it got it just about right.

"At this rate, 20 years from now reading, writing and arithmetic will be completely removed from public school curriculum and in its place will:

1st period: birth control
2nd period: Johny has 2 daddies
3rd period: Mary has 2 mommies
4th period: sexual positions for the pre teen
5th period: types of abortions
6th period: transgendered make great parents
7th period: heterosexuals and the far right: both must be educated
8th period: sexual toys

Get your kid out of public school NOW."
That may help explain some of your contentions in this thread on sex-ed. The proposed schedule would probably not even fill one single day of instruction unless you were the type of person who sat down and obsessed about them on ridiculous points (why spinning the toy counter-clockwise yields better results 101) ....How long could you talk about different abortions? I don't even think a medical school could hold an hour a day for nine months.

Is it possible that you don't like public schools as much because they have stricter standards and won't respond as much to a parent walking in and complaining about anything and wanting it changed (not just sex ed but spelling tests, etc)?

I kinda thought that learning how to get along with others was a lesson that they still teach in school, and that sort of requires that you learn to live and let live a little and not demand that the world does everything your way.

Besides, the "teach sex ed is a good idea"" crowd is a lot bigger than the "prayer in school folks", and at least you can have some statistics to show the benefits of sex ed.... AND they only propose teaching it for a short time each year, not "every day for the rest of your life".

As for the math and science aspect of your argument... I wonder what a world would be like filled with a bunch of home-schooled kids who perfectly match your beliefs (or any single individual, for that matter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 11:40 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
I sure wish I knew where this morning alert came from; it is so amusing, and wouldn't it be interesting if it all came to pass a somewhat similar scenario to a popular science fiction novel.

However, as the reality is with emphasis placed on reading/writing scores, it is highly unlikely that sex education or parental relationships will become a standardized curriculum.

Conversely, those home schooled could be taught how to deplore sexual relationships, shun and scorn non-traditional family units and learn how to restrict their relationships and ostracize themselves.

And, lastly, I am curious how you've arrived at an anti-school, anti-sexual education, anti-homosexuals personal agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Good morning. I actually have a life to tend to. Was that facts ot propaganda?

I saw this on the internet this morning and thought it got it just about right.

"At this rate, 20 years from now reading, writing and arithmetic will be completely removed from public school curriculum and in its place will:

1st period: birth control
2nd period: Johny has 2 daddies
3rd period: Mary has 2 mommies
4th period: sexual positions for the pre teen
5th period: types of abortions
6th period: transgendered make great parents
7th period: heterosexuals and the far right: both must be educated
8th period: sexual toys

Get your kid out of public school NOW."

Old 10-21-2007, 12:32 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Actually, for being right-wing propaganda, I must admit I laughed at that piece.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:00 PM

236 posts, read 442,129 times
When my kids were younger I thought about home schooling them but that thought lasted all of a minute. I love my kids but I was never made to be a 24/7 mommy. I like my alone time. Also, I have no patience for teaching. One of my son's best friends was home schooled from first grade until his freshmen year. When he was intoduced to public school he had absolutley no social skills. He did not know how to relate with other kids, he was withdrawn, and he was behind in almost all subjects. His mom did a great job teaching basic education but he really had no interaction with kids his age except for my son. It took him almost two years to catch up to the maturity level of the kids his age. The biggest problem was that he started getting in trouble with alcohol, drugs, cutting class, etc. He thought by doing these things he was making friends. He did not know how to make friends the right way. I know alot of kids who are or were home schooled and most of them had the same problems. The public school system has many problems but you have to let your children learn what is right from wrong, and trust that you have done the very best job as a parent to insure that they are prepared to make good decisions. They have to know what the real world is like. Yes, they see things, hear things, and experience things we would rather they didn't but you have to trust that the morals and values you as a parent have taught them will guide their decisions. The fact is, the viewing of these pamphlets was just a small moment of time in their life, kids are easly distracted, tomorrow it will be, "Omg did your hear about John kissing Lorie behing the bus barn?" It was a bad mistake but it is not going scar these kids for ever.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times
Ok basically for the most part we all agree that Sex-Education in important....me included....
But who decides at what age and how much education is needed...
At one time I would have said the beginning of High School.......sadly now I would have to say 5th grade.
Schools should provide the BASICS nothing more.....parents should provide the rest as needed.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 AM

Guidelines abound; regulations are strict. Oversight is heavy.

All material is reviewed for schools, often committees meet for a year or much more to examine materials in health and education. Federal guidelines are imposed on much of the material, and all material is looked at from an age-appropriate standpoint.

Little or no graphic content is allowed for adolescents and none for young children.

It is just a no-no.

In this particular case, it is possible that a box of adult materials were shipped and inadvertently distributed. Those who made this mistake will be disciplined and called on the carpet.

But it is not a common occurrence and certainly not a practice to distribute material as referred to here or in the paper cited across specified populations.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,677 times
Thumbs up I remember Sex-Ed from when I was a kid, and I received it twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
Ok basically for the most part we all agree that Sex-Education in important....me included....
But who decides at what age and how much education is needed...
At one time I would have said the beginning of High School.......sadly now I would have to say 5th grade.
Schools should provide the BASICS nothing more.....parents should provide the rest as needed.
I remember Sex-Ed from when I was a kid, and I received it twice.

The first was from the public schools and was about disease prevention, how you get pregnant, etc and had a general theme of "abstinence is best, but here are also some less-effective preventions if you take the risk and choose not to stay abstinent". It was fairly science centered.

The second was from the youth group at my church and it focused on why you do not want to go around sharing a piece of your heart with everyone, etc and gave you good reasons not to have sex (with no prevention education). In hind-site it was an "abstinence only" education but it wasn't like what you here about today (there were no attacks like "condoms fail", and no brow-beating about "filthy sin" or anything).

The combination of the two was very effective and I know that it helped to change my life for the better. However, each part was effective based in part on where it was taught. A pastor teaching condom use isn't very effective (or appropriate), just like a teacher being legally required to speak about spiritual/emotional health wouldn't be very effective either (although with the right teacher it probably could be).

Why can't more people strive for a "duel education program" like that?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Guidelines abound; regulations are strict. Oversight is heavy.

All material is reviewed for schools, often committees meet for a year or much more to examine materials in health and education. Federal guidelines are imposed on much of the material, and all material is looked at from an age-appropriate standpoint.

Little or no graphic content is allowed for adolescents and none for young children.

It is just a no-no.

In this particular case, it is possible that a box of adult materials were shipped and inadvertently distributed. Those who made this mistake will be disciplined and called on the carpet.

But it is not a common occurrence and certainly not a practice to distribute material as referred to here or in the paper cited across specified populations.
One would have thought those distrubting the pamphlets would have taken a moment to review them first. After seeing that they were not at all age appropriate thought twice about it. Those involved are obviously not worthy of the publics trust and should be forced to find employment else where.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:59 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
That may help explain some of your contentions in this thread on sex-ed. The proposed schedule would probably not even fill one single day of instruction unless you were the type of person who sat down and obsessed about them on ridiculous points (why spinning the toy counter-clockwise yields better results 101) ....How long could you talk about different abortions? I don't even think a medical school could hold an hour a day for nine months.

Is it possible that you don't like public schools as much because they have stricter standards and won't respond as much to a parent walking in and complaining about anything and wanting it changed (not just sex ed but spelling tests, etc)?

I kinda thought that learning how to get along with others was a lesson that they still teach in school, and that sort of requires that you learn to live and let live a little and not demand that the world does everything your way.

Besides, the "teach sex ed is a good idea"" crowd is a lot bigger than the "prayer in school folks", and at least you can have some statistics to show the benefits of sex ed.... AND they only propose teaching it for a short time each year, not "every day for the rest of your life".

As for the math and science aspect of your argument... I wonder what a world would be like filled with a bunch of home-schooled kids who perfectly match your beliefs (or any single individual, for that matter).
Have you ever met any home schooled kids? If so how many that you feel qualified to judge them? Are you aware that home schooled kids more than hold there own on sat's? I have two families in my neighborhood that home school. These kids are like kids when I was growing up. Polite, disiplined and guess what? They cut grass for extra money. The oldest graduated 2 years ago and joined the army. She advanced early and have not long ago returned from a tour in Iraq. She got along just fine without the socalled lack of large group social activities which would include peer pressure to conform to what ever is the in thing etc.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:59 PM

We all make mistakes, and furthermore I often find the news media make mistakes.

Inasmuch as I have not personally been involved, I am not in any position to condemn the accused or for that matter defend them.

We are making many assumptions based on a single published article!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
One would have thought those distrubting the pamphlets would have taken a moment to review them first. After seeing that they were not at all age appropriate thought twice about it. Those involved are obviously not worthy of the publics trust and should be forced to find employment else where.

Last edited by ontheroad; 10-22-2007 at 04:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies