Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I see one guy moving a 100 pound projectile and another one cranking a handle almost contiuously. There is tremendous amount of brute strength required to operate that gun beyond even what you see in that picture and everyone of them can perform the duty of any man there.
Then have THAT be the standard

Why is this so hard? ****!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 02:58 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Because they are shorter and have to get down on their knees more.....

Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post

I think if we believe in equality of the genders, we should all support equality of the standards.
So you would have gone to bar for me back in the 1970's when I couldn't enlist without a high school diploma or equivalent, but men could.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
As an example, 46 pushups gets you a 100 if you're a woman, if you're a man 75 gets you 100 score for the pushups if you are 22-26 years old.

Is it so much to ask that women be able to push-up their own weight the same amount as men do the same number of times?

I think if we believe in equality of the genders, we should all support equality of the standards.
Could it be women have less muscle between their ears?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,639 times
Look at the number of sit-ups that each gender has to do to get a 100. Both must do 78. When I was in the service (Army) the women actually had a higher standard for sit-ups than men to get a 100. Why? it's very simple. A man's center of gravity is higher in their torso than a woman's, making them have to exert more torque to raise their torsos. Women's center of gravity is lower on their torso, allowing them to exert less torque.

I personaly believe that if a certain job required a certain skill set and that skill set required a certain level of strength, then man or woman, they both should have to show the same level (not percentage) of strength. If they can't, then they don't get the job - and that goes for the men who couldn't do it either.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM

256 posts, read 664,721 times
I think it is BS, and honestly, if I was a woman in the military, I'd be insulted. The news today states they are now going to let women be in combat roles in the military. They want equality, it is only fair to raise the standards and make them equal with the physical standards of the men. If they can't do it, they shouldn't make the cut.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
I certainly think anyone capable of meeting the physical requirements should be allowed to serve. The problem comes into play when there are different sets of requirements for men and women. Whatever a given standard of performance may be, no one who is incapable of meeting those requirements should be serving in a position in which those standards are determined to be necessary.

For example, if it's deemed vitally important for a marine to be able to run three miles within twenty-eight minutes, why are there exceptions (whether based on sex or age)? On the other hand, if it really isn't all that important, why should those who are male and/or younger be required to meet a higher standard than others?

When Ed Koch was mayor of NYC, the city was under intense political pressure to hire more female firefighters. Koch weighed-in by saying (I may be slightly off in the quote, but the meaning is clear) “I don’t care what sex a firefighter is, as long as they can carry a 180 pound mayor out of a burning building.”

Whether we're talking about the military, firefighters, or police; there is a set of standards needed to rationally meet the the requirements of the job in regards to personal safety, efficiency, and economy. No applicant who can meet those standards should ever be denied the opportunity. However, those standards should never be dumbed-down for the purpose of political expediency.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,673,373 times
Quote:
As an example, 46 pushups gets you a 100 if you're a woman, if you're a man 75 gets you 100 score for the pushups if you are 22-26 years old.

Is it so much to ask that women be able to push-up their own weight the same amount as men do the same number of times?

I think you should let the worlds greatest military worry about it and not leave the decision up to paranoid yahoos.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,362 times
Vagina Squad can do the squats.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nonsense. The Army PT test is completely fair. There's no discrimination or advantage for females. The test is based on physiology.

At the end of the day, you're competing with your peer group, and I've seen nothing that indicated that women passed their PT tests easier than males did with the current standards. Besides, a lot more than PT figures into your rating and promotions. You're actually supposed to be competent at more than just the PT test.
So it doesn't matter when a woman can't tote that 86lb backpack on that forced march because the physical conditioning standards are lower? Who is going to carry it? And if nobody carries it, then whose supplies have to be shared for the one who can't pull her weight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies