Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post

1. Why should the rich/successful/wealthier/ pay a higher percentage in taxes?
I believe they should but as a byproduct of their increased consumption. I support the Fair Tax lesiglation wi a probate up to the poverty level to ensure the poor aren't disproportionally affected.
2. At what percentage is it "enough" and would could it ever be high enough?
See above.
3. How should the education system be reformed? It's quite clear ours isn't great. We do not stack up well against our international peers however we spend more per student. How do we fix it?
By focusing on math and science programs...less emphasis on the arts...they aren't practical skills. Also, find a way to hold teachers accountable but pay the, much higher...on par with administrators. They have one of the most important jobs in the world and they deserve to be compensated for it...but they also need to be held accountable. If I perform poorly at my job, even when some conditions outside my control fall through, I'm still on the hook.
4. Do you favor a flat tax with lower deductions?
No...it's disproportionally impacts the poor.
5. Do you favor a national sales tax with a prebate up to the poverty level?
Yep.
6. Should states have more autonomy over their affairs than the federal government?
Depends on the program.
7. Should there be a stricter limit on how those receive welfare benefits, i.e., less time on it, more work required, continuing education, drug tests, etc.
Absolutely. Our entitlement structure has grown substantially and it needs to be curtailed. These welfare programs exist for a very important reason, but they can also breed a dependent class. The programs should be limited (in terms of able bodied people) to those actively seeking employment or pursuing higher education. Drug tests are ideal in theory but expensive.
8. Should medicare/medicaid/SS be reformed to remain solvent and how?
This is our biggest problem...it accounts for over 2/3 of our federal budget...it's also one of our most important obligations. We have to find a way to reform it that doesn't entail substantial tax increases or alterations to the program. Increasing the eligibility age is a good idea...looking a partial private accounts for very young workers.....I wish I knew how to solve this one.
9. Who's responsibility is YOUR healthcare?
It certainly isn't the governments. In fact...the government is the reason healthcare insurance is so expensive. Healthcare technology is like any other kind of technology...if in the private market long enough it becomes more affordable. Computers in the late 90s were exorbitantly expensive...now a decent desktop is 400 dollars.
I work in risk analysis for the health and auto insurance industry and I can assure you of this......if the regulations imposed by the DHHS weren't so strict and burdensome ,health insurance wouldn't cost a lot more than auto. Think about this...how many times have you used 250 or 500k in your healthcare history? Not all that often, for most of us. If you have liability limits this large on auto you probably pay around 120/month. Yes, there are different risks involved in healthcare but ultimately the exposure to the company is still the same dollar amount......and liability coverage in healthcare doesn't even have a deductible.
10. If we subsidize healthcare coverage...should we subsidize other insurances as well like auto and life?
The reason I asked this was to determine the barometer on how you guys feel about the risk mitigation responsibility of thr government. I asked auto for the 3rd party liability and life for those who have lost the breadwinner of the family.
I just thought I would answer my own questions since I've asked others to do so.

*sorry for the random typos.......using an iPad mini and I've got big fingers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The actual data proves the reality. 80% of our country's millionaires, 60% of the richest 400, and 6 of the top 10 richest earned, saved, invested, and amassed their own wealth. The majority of the rich worked hard and smart, and sacrificed to make it happen.
How are those whiney excuses working out for those too lazy to do the same as the majority of the rich?
That is particularly misleading is your definition of "millionaire," which is someone with a million dollars in assets. Many people in urban areas are millionaires by that definition, just on home prices, as I am. What millionaires by a reasonable definition is those with million dollar incomes. I can definitively tell you that 80% of those with million dollar incomes are not self-made.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That is particularly misleading is your definition of "millionaire," which is someone with a million dollars in assets. Many people in urban areas are millionaires by that definition, just on home prices, as I am. What millionaires by a reasonable definition is those with million dollar incomes. I can definitively tell you that 80% of those with million dollar incomes are not self-made.
Assuming you own your home outright which most don't. I know quite a few people that own various property that would put the combined value of their assets of a million or higher but thedefinition is assets minus liabilities. Most people with a million in net worth never scratched the surface of making a million dollars annually.....my inlaws had an income of around 150k and they lived frugally, retiring with a net worth of well over a million....meeting the definition. I believe most "millionaires" in the country fit into this definition moreso than the mythical prep school kids that inherit enormous wealth.

Millionaires themselves only make up .06% of the population anyway so regardless we are talking about a VERY small chunk of the population

Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Read the book!
Are you kidding me? Life is finite and I gave myself permission a while back not to waste my time by read trash.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That is particularly misleading is your definition of "millionaire," which is someone with a million dollars in assets. Many people in urban areas are millionaires by that definition, just on home prices, as I am. What millionaires by a reasonable definition is those with million dollar incomes.
No, that's not a reasonable definition. The universally accepted definition of millionaires is those whose net worth is at least $1 million. The point being that even those with a somewhat modest income can manage their finances wisely enough to accumulate wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies