Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times

Advertisements

All,

Let me preface with myself. I'm very much a social liberal...I'm pro-gay rights, pro-choice, pro-recrational drug use legalization, pro-church/state seperation, and pro-most other liberal social issues with exception to gun control. I think we should SLASH the military budget because I have a hard time believing that we need to spend more than all the other countries in the top 10 for military expenditure combined. Economic issues are where I start to differ starkly from the left.

I'm asking these questions because I like to understand those that are different from myself. I'm not trying to argue or change anyones opinion...there are lots of threads for that...I just have a couple of questions from those on the left side of the political spectrum. Feel free to answer all, some, or none.

1. Why should the rich/successful/wealthier/ pay a higher percentage in taxes?
2. At what percentage is it "enough" and would could it ever be high enough?
3. How should the education system be reformed? It's quite clear ours isn't great. We do not stack up well against our international peers however we spend more per student. How do we fix it?
4. Do you favor a flat tax with lower deductions?
5. Do you favor a national sales tax with a prebate up to the poverty level?
6. Should states have more autonomy over their affairs than the federal government?
7. Should there be a stricter limit on how those receive welfare benefits, i.e., less time on it, more work required, continuing education, drug tests, etc.
8. Should medicare/medicaid/SS be reformed to remain solvent and how?
9. Who's responsibility is YOUR healthcare?
10. If we subsidize healthcare coverage...should we subsidize other insurances as well like auto and life?

Any feedback is appreciated....again...I'm not trying to argue or change minds. I just like understanding people that aren't like myself.

Last edited by wnewberry22; 01-25-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
A lot of questions. I will try to give brief answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
1. Why should the rich/successful/wealthier/ pay a higher percentage in taxes?
Because those who have benefited most from the advantages and opportunities of our system bear a greater obligation in ensuring its continued existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22
2. At what percentage is it "enough" and would could it ever be high enough?
In the order asked: it depends, and yes.

Quote:
3. How should the education system be reformed? It's quite clear ours isn't great. We do not stack up well against our international peers however we spend more per student. How do we fix it?
Replace our current agrarian/industrial model with a more flexible model tailored to individual pace and achievement. We have the technology to do this now.

Quote:
4. Do you favor a flat tax with lower deductions?
I am not automatically opposed to it.

Quote:
5. Do you favor a national sales tax with a prebate up to the poverty level?

Quote:
6. Should states have more autonomy over their affairs than the federal government?
More autonomy than what? Than now? The question is unclear.

If you are asking about the specific balance between state's rights and federal power, I am content that the Constitution as written balances them adequately, and that our current court system is competent to settle conflicts.

Quote:
7. Should there be a stricter limit on how those receive welfare benefits, i.e., less time on it, more work required, continuing education, drug tests, etc.
No. I am content with the current welfare system.

Quote:
8. Should medicare/medicaid/SS be reformed to remain solvent and how?
Yes. All healthcare insurance (to include medicare/medicaid) should be replaced with a single payor system. For SS I approve of means testing and believe the annual FICA max cap should be eliminated.

Quote:
9. Who's responsibility is YOUR healthcare?
It doesn't matter. We all pay anyway. Healthcare as an industry is impervious to market forces. We either manage it in a comprehensive manner or we allow it to run completely unmanaged. Half steps are a fool's errand.

Quote:
10. If we mandate healthcare coverage...should we mandate other insurances as well like auto and life?
We already mandate auto insurance. For other types of insurance, like most things, it depends. But generally, no.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
A lot of questions. I will try to give brief answers.

Because those who have benefited most from the advantages and opportunities of our system bear a greater obligation in ensuring its continued existence.

In the order asked: it depends, and yes.

Replace our current agrarian/industrial model with a more flexible model tailored to individual pace and achievement. We have the technology to do this now.

More autonomy than what? Than now? The question is unclear.

If you are asking about the specific balance between state's rights and federal power, I am content that the Constitution as written balances them adequately, and that our current court system is competent to settle conflicts.

No. I am content with the current welfare system.

Yes. All healthcare insurance (to include medicare/medicaid) should be replaced with a single payor system. For SS I approve of means testing and believe the annual FICA max cap should be eliminated.

It doesn't matter. We all pay anyway. Healthcare as an industry is impervious to market forces. We either manage it in a comprehensive manner or we allow it to run completely unmanaged. Half steps are a fool's errand.

We already mandate auto insurance. For other types of insurance, like most things, it depends. But generally, no.

Thanks for the feedback.....On the last question I'm sorry I should have specified more.

If people can't afford auto (liability) coverage should it be subsidized...again we all pay for it in terms on underinsured and uninsured coverage.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
"All men are created equal"....."promote the general welfare of the people"(which would include education and healthcare just to name a couple....and if the states aren't helping to promote the general welfare of its people, well, then there's a Federal Government to help them with that)......and why do you think that the "rich" are paying more in taxes? With the capital gains they make off their sweet benefit packages, they are paying much less than the middle classes do. The "rich" also benefit off of a judicial system that favors them, since they can higher the better council to represent them(why does Lady Justice wear a blindfold, then?). And pay workers(skilled/unskilled) a livable wage and watch how much that will take the burden off of the middle classes, and even those "rich" classes, taxes. It's not hard to understand this, only our predilection towards preconceived bias' hold us back!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.....On the last question I'm sorry I should have specified more.

If people can't afford auto (liability) coverage should it be subsidized...again we all pay for it in terms on underinsured and uninsured coverage.
No. Individuals can choose to not drive. They cannot choose to not get sick.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Thats valid.....How about if they choose to drive?

Last edited by wnewberry22; 01-25-2013 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
"All men are created equal"....."promote the general welfare of the people"(which would include education and healthcare just to name a couple....and if the states aren't helping to promote the general welfare of its people, well, then there's a Federal Government to help them with that)......and why do you think that the "rich" are paying more in taxes? With the capital gains they make off their sweet benefit packages, they are paying much less than the middle classes do. The "rich" also benefit off of a judicial system that favors them, since they can higher the better council to represent them(why does Lady Justice wear a blindfold, then?). And pay workers(skilled/unskilled) a livable wage and watch how much that will take the burden off of the middle classes, and even those "rich" classes, taxes. It's not hard to understand this, only our predilection towards preconceived bias' hold us back!

I understand your point of view and essentially find no issue with most of it. The only thing I would have contention with is the bolded text. I'm aware of the tales of the executives with the golden parachutes but the majority of those regarded as "rich" don't have this. I don't recall the exact percentage and I don't want to list one just to bolster my point but most people that make between 200-750k annually do so in wages not capital gains or interest which are subject the maximum tax rate and the additional medicare percentage effective 2014 as part of the new healthcare law which equates to almost 44%. This income demographic makes up the majority of what we deem as "rich." Your Zuckerbergs, Gates, and Dimon's of the country make up .001 percent of the population so, to me anyway, validating a point off these people is a little misleading because they are such an infanticimial slice of an already small demographic.

The economics of the minimum wage are hit or miss and almost always lead to an argument so I'll avoid those.

But yeah...aside from the tax thing I agree with you.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
How about if they choose to drive?
Then they have made a bad choice. We have civil penalties for dealing with it.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Then they have made a bad choice. We have civil penalties for dealing with it.
fair enough

Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Not quite true. There are many lifestyle-induced illnesses. Obesity, smoking, drinking, drug abuse, etc., are all lifestyle choices that may very well result in self-induced illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies