Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times

Advertisements

At some point the anti science people may come around but by then they'll throw up their hands and say that it's too late to do anything now. Conservatives should stick with conserving and the earth is a damn good place to start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 02:55 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are wearing blue shoe's correct?

Are you going to address my point in the above post or not?
(sigh) I try to respond to you, but you don't wish to listen. The reason I called you a Creationist, is because Creationists are under the mistaken impression that everything in evolution and in general on planet earth, happens from one day to the next, and is not a progressive process.

Just as destruction of the environment and ecology doesn't happen overnight, as if a meteor suddenly landed on earth, so the same with the destruction of the environment and the ecology. It is a gradual destruction caused by human beings. I'm not here to give you a year-long lesson on ecological destruction and destruction of the environment, and I doubt you care a rat's posterior about it, because basically you have an agenda, regardless of what the future outcome might be. What I will say is this - you need to pick up SCIENTIFIC books about global warming, and stop learning about global warming from Rush Limbaugh. That's the only way you'll know what you're talking about.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
(sigh) I try to respond to you, but you don't wish to listen. The reason I called you a Creationist, is because Creationists are under the mistaken impression that everything in evolution and in general on planet earth, happens from one day to the next, and is not a progressive process.
Right, you did not try and respond to my position, you simply replied in a snarky manner. What I believe or not outside of what I said has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Nothing. I can believe in Evolution, creationism, or the spaghetti monster and it does not change what I said.

Quote:
Just as destruction of the environment and ecology doesn't happen overnight, as if a meteor suddenly landed on earth, so the same with the destruction of the environment and the ecology. It is a gradual destruction caused by human beings. I'm not here to give you a year-long lesson on ecological destruction and destruction of the environment, and I doubt you care a rat's posterior about it, because basically you have an agenda, regardless of what the future outcome might be. What I will say is this - you need to pick up SCIENTIFIC books about global warming, and stop learning about global warming from Rush Limbaugh. That's the only way you'll know what you're talking about.
You just cant discuss a subject without the stupid snarky remarks can you? Because you refuse to acknowledge my point you go off on Rush and creationism to try and distract from the fact that you have no actual reply.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Right, you did not try and respond to my position, you simply replied in a snarky manner. What I believe or not outside of what I said has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Nothing. I can believe in Evolution, creationism, or the spaghetti monster and it does not change what I said.

You just cant discuss a subject without the stupid snarky remarks can you? Because you refuse to acknowledge my point you go off on Rush and creationism to try and distract from the fact that you have no actual reply.
If you don't desire me to refer to Rush and Creationism, then DON'T EXPRESS THEIR VIEWS.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM

742 posts, read 678,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Anyone who still believes that carp is the dumbest of the dumb.

There are plenty. It's up to you to do your own research.
But why when Manbearpig knows best? Weeee!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
If you don't desire me to refer to Rush and Creationism, then DON'T EXPRESS THEIR VIEWS.
Lame and nothing but an attempt to actually address the facts.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
When are the Fox news followers going to realize that 98% of all climate scientists say "global warming is happening."

Fox news lies about global warming not happening, as a favor for corporations like ExxonMobile.

Who should you trust, 98% of climate scientists or Fox news?
98% of all scientists probably believe that cow burps cause global warming as well. Should we stop producing beef?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
I'm sure by posting that link you completely missed the irony. You post a link from an obviously biased site and then complain about others doing that.

The 97-98% claim is anything but scientific.

Have you ever heard of the "greenhouse effect"?

Greenhouse effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The greenhouse effect is a process by which thermal radiation from a planetary surface is absorbed by atmospheric greenhouse gases, and is re-radiated in all directions. Since part of this re-radiation is back towards the surface and the lower atmosphere, it results in an elevation of the average surface temperature above what it would be in the absence of the gases.

Do you believe in the "greenhouse effect" ?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post

Do you believe in the greenhouse effect?
I asked my question first and nobody has answered it. I am perfectly willing to answer any follow up questions after mine gets addressed.

The argument is that we are warmer today than say 15 years ago. Assuming that is true, there is not anything out of the ordinary happening.

Where are the negatives?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times
Quote:
I asked my question first and nobody has answered it. I am perfectly willing to answer any follow up questions after mine gets addressed.

The argument is that we are warmer today than say 15 years ago. Assuming that is true, there is not anything out of the ordinary happening.

Where are the negatives?
This article lists numerous examples of extreme weather, then gives the scientific reasons for believe that these extremes are linked to global warming:
Insurance News - EXPLAINING EXTREME EVENTS OF 2011 FROM A CLIMATE PERSPECTIVE [Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society]

Since it is a long, technical article, I pasted a few examples for your convenience:

Thailand experienced severe flooding in 2011. During and after an unusually wet monsoon (July-September) in northern Thailand, rivers on the flood plains in the center and the south flooded their banks and inundated large parts of the country, including the former capital Ayuttha and neighborhoods of the present capital Bangkok. Large-scale industrial estates were submerged by 2.5 m of water for nearly 2 months and the economic damage was considerable. The reinsurer SwissRe estimated an insured damage between 8 and 11 billion U.S. dollars (USD) (SwissRe 2011). The total damage is much more uncertain, the World Bank estimates a value of 45 billion USD (World Bank 2011).
Flooding event s are not uncommon in Thailand. However, the scale of the 2011 event was unprecedented.

In 2011, East Africa faced a tragic food crisis that led to famine conditions in parts of Somalia and severe food shortages in parts of Ethiopia and Somalia. While many nonclimatic factors contributed to this crisis (high global food prices, political instability, and chronic poverty, among others) failed rains in both the boreal winter of 2010/11 and the boreal spring of 2011 played a critical role. The back-to-back failures of these rains, which were linked to the dominant La Niña climate and warm SSTs in the central and southeastern Indian Ocean, were particularly problematic since they followed poor rainfall during the spring and summer of 2008 and 2009. In fact, in parts of East Africa, in recent years, there has been a substantial increase in the number of below-normal rainy seasons, which may be related to the warming of the western Pacific and Indian Oceans (for more details, see Funk et al. 2008; Williams and Funk 2011; Williams et al. 2011; Lyon and DeWitt 2012). The basic argument of this work is that recent warming in the Indian-Pacific warm pool (IPWP) enhances the export of geopotential height energy from the warm pool, which tends to produce subsidence across eastern Africa and reduce onshore moisture transports.
In 2011, the state of Texas experienced an extraordinary heat wave and drought. The 6-month growing season of March-August (MAMJJA) and the three summer months of June-August (JJA) were both, by wide margins, the hottest and driest in the record that dates back to 1895 (Fig. 8). (See also Nielsen-Gammon, Office of the State Climatologist Report: The 2011 Texas drought, a briefing packet for the Texas Legislature, Oct. 21, 2011).
The winter of 2010/11 began with the coldest December in the UK series dating back to 1910 and the second coldest December in the Central England Temperature (CET) record dating back to 1659 (Manley 1974), with a -5.3°C anomaly in the monthly average temperature relative to the 1961-90 mean. There were many adverse consequences of the extreme temperatures, including closed airports and schools. There was also the novel experience for many children, wherever they lived in the United Kingdom, of a white Christmas.

This article lists some other examples:
Flooding on the Mississippi has become more frequent and more extensive since about 1950, Jefferson said. This year's huge flood was created by snowmelt and rain-on-snow in the upper Mississippi River basin, and very intense rain in its middle regions.
"Climatically we have a higher frequency of rain-on-snow events, a real recipe for flooding," she said. "Also you're getting more warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico farther north up the Mississippi. It's both a warming and, more so, the fact that the weather patterns have changed and are projected to continue to change, so the precipitation patterns are changing."

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/05/2...#storylink=cpy

If you scroll down near the bottom of this article, you will see a graph showing the increased annual frequency of tropical storms:
http://www.climate.org/topics/extreme-weather/index.html

This article from Scientific American talks about the “Damage from Extreme Weather Increasing.”
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2011/09/01/extreme-weather-damage-increasing/

Another example: International insurance giant MunichRe recently concluded that from 1980 through 2011, the frequency of weather-related extreme events in North America nearly quintupled….

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 01-29-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies