Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
According to police, the suspected shooter was apparently a gang member. Such individuals are not known for obeying laws.

It is unlikely that any of the laws currently being pushed by various paranoid gun-haters, would have stopped this shooting.

In part because they are all ALREADY IN FORCE in Chicago where this shooting took place.

The gun-haters are responding by pushing those laws anyway, to disarm law-abiding citizens who haven't shot anybody (and even could have protected her) instead of criminals like the one who murdered Hadiya Pendleton.

----------------------------------------------

Chicago honor student Hadiya Pendleton, who participated in Obama inauguration festivities, shot dead just blocks from her school - NY Daily News

Chicago honor student Hadiya Pendleton, who participated in Obama inauguration festivities, shot dead just blocks from her school

Pendleton, 15, was a member of King College Prep marching band that traveled to Washington. Police believe she may have been caught in the middle of a gang-related shooting.

By David Boroff / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, January 30, 2013, 9:31 AM

A 15-year-old Chicago honor student who participated in inaugural events celebrating President Obama's re-election was fatally shot Tuesday just blocks from her school.

Hadiya Pendleton was among approximately a dozen teens taking cover from the rain in a local park at 2:30 p.m. when a gunman jumped a fence and opened fire, according to reports. Pendleton and other King College Prep students had been dismissed from school early due to exams. She was with other members of the school's volleyball team, the Chicago Tribune reported Wednesday.

The gunshots sent the entire group running out of the park in a panic, authorities say. Pendleton and a 16-year-old boy were both hit and collapsed about one block away.
Pendleton was shot once in the back and later died at the University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital. The wounded boy was in serious condition Tuesday night, according to the Tribune.

Many of the teens with Pendleton at the time of the shooting were believed to be gang members and left the scene, authorities said.
As if you care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Guns ARE a problem, one that we're stuck with, unfortunately.
How are guns the problem here, when other cities have just as many or more guns, and even lesser gun regulations then Chicago, and yet they do not have the murder rates they have in Chicago.

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Most don't.
Like I said before. It has alot to with mentality and gangs.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why is it every story about Chicago the gun control thing pops up. We get it gun control does not work for day to day violence. So what are folks trying to say if this 15 year old was armed she'd be alive?
Nope not me...... I am trying to say the cops should roll that place up..... No warning they just bust every little gang banger they can find..... That city and others are run by gangs.... There is no excuse for that.

No sooner are they done and the cops turn back and run the other way. About like painting the Golden Gate Bridge.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Like I said before. It has alot to with mentality and gangs.
Sounds like we would be smarter to try fixing that instead of blaming innocent people for something they had nothing to do with...

Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Horrible tragedy.

And I agree, no additional measures are going to cure what can only be characterized as a disease.
Doesn't matter how many laws a particular city puts in place if, as was noted in the second post, guns can "walk" their way all around the country with abandon.

I don't agree with you a lot, but when someone is right there right. Very true, no amount of additonal measures is going to cure the curse that is going around.

They can try all they want, as the person who killed one of my family members stated, when there is the will to kill, they will kill you. With bare hands if necessary. That bastard took the life of my cousin, and stabbed him over and over and over again, till he could no longer breathe, and his heart gave out. His gun jammed, but he also had a knife.

As he stated, criminals don't follow laws of any kind.

Criminals will always get their hands on guns, to think they can't is ingorant.

This will not solve the issue of this plague of violence where everyone thinks the way to solve it is to murder.

This is not only about guns, this is a epidemic, where people use the tool, to do bad evil things. This wave i am afraid is only going to get worse, i don't care how many laws are put into place.

When you have young children, killing their friends, and family members, we have a serious problem, and this is not only about guns.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's not just the thread I was referring to. It's nearly every story I read about Chicago's carnage. The comments keep going on and on about gun control not working. Well ok we get it. I've always said the culture is the problem not the guns themselves. Doesn't mean I think folks should be walking around with military grade weapons that can kill multiple people in seconds.

But people don't have military grade weapons. Select fire (full auto) weapons have been, for all intents and purposes, banned since 1934, by the National Firearms Act (NFA). You are intelligent man, and I expect that you will eventually come around on this.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
She was a beautiful young girl too, if you look at the OPs link.
Yes she was......... Gang bangers there just shoot, not really trying to hit anyone sometimes, but they just shoot..... And other times they just shoot people because they can and there is no more to it.

No motive no wants or needs, they just shoot..... gang life style BS...... You can see it with guns and you can see it with motorcycles too if you youtube it at all.

I don't know why this happens but i figure it is over depression the fact you can't get out, and there is no HOPE. On the other hand these people seem to think working is beneath their dignity and or that sooner or later someone will hand over a CEO job just because...

They have no sense things don't work that way, and in the USA if you want to be on top you have to work and make it happen, contrary to what Obama says.

Ain't no body going to hand it to you.... No body will just give it to you. It takes work and years of work and even then unless you get creative you still won't cut it.

Obama is robbing some of these people of their lives... Telling them Lies!

And then what happens after the lies are discovered these people and others go ballistic. Who wouldn't after years of lies?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
If this happened in an affluent area, heads would be rolling. The reality is, most people don't care about violence in these areas, that includes most people who post stories about them on the internet.
Wrong, the reason the politicians, like Obama, don't care, is because the murders in Chicago will not advance their political agenda. The problems in Chicago are not guns, racial bigotry, climate change, or a lack of green energy, the problems are crime, drugs, teenage unemployment, school drop out rates, desperation and poverty, Mexican drug cartels, inner city violence and a break down in the culture and society in those areas.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Oh I understand it, I just don't buy in to your stupidity or your agenda. We do have millions of car accidents in this country every year which kill many thousands more than firearms do. Most of them aren't due to defects of the car, they're due to human error or something like DUI. We don't ban cars because people drive them drunk do we? No of course we don't, we continue to make cars more easily available to everyone. People who die by gun shot aren't killed by guns, they're killed by people using a gun just like people who use a knife, a hammer, a rock, etc etc etc to kill people. We don't blame knives and try to ban them when people are murdered with one? No of course not, we continue to sell them by the millions in stores.
I'm stupid? I don't think so, but thanks for the personal insult. And again, sorry you don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies