Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the idea of whites becoming a Minority in America?
I don't want it to have a negative affect on America 5 8.62%
As long as the core principals of America is believe in we might be ok. 9 15.52%
Do you think it can be stopped? 7 12.07%
I think it will result in a less free, less prosperous nation 9 15.52%
I think it will result in a failing state like South Africa 8 13.79%
I think It will end in conflict 8 13.79%
I think it will end the American Culture as we have know it 14 24.14%
Other, explain 10 17.24%
Skin color does not matter culture and ideology does. 23 39.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,924,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
You do realize that most of what is now the US was speaking spanish and colonized by spanish speakers long before a bunch of WASPs didn't want to pay their taxes to England? The Dutch beat them to the NE. Not to mention the Norse people were here ages before any of that. So actually more people speaking spanish would be a return to normal.
Uh; MOST of what is now the US was NEVER owned by Spain so speaking Spanish ain't "normal" by your definition. Sheesh!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM

724 posts, read 594,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; MOST of what is now the US was NEVER owned by Spain so speaking Spanish ain't "normal" by your definition. Sheesh!
Not a fan of history I see.

California, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, N and S carolina. All states with a Spanish speaking presence centuries before Plymouth Company or Virginia. I'm sure I didn't even list all of them. Care to comment?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:37 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,520,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
Not a fan of history I see.

California, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, N and S carolina. All states with a Spanish speaking presence centuries before Plymouth Company or Virginia. I'm sure I didn't even list all of them. Care to comment?
Tenuous, fleeting claims or a solitary expedition by Cortés doesn't mean the Spanish "owned it". Pope Alexander IV decreed in the late 1400s that everything 100 leagues west of the Azores belonged to Spain (and everything east belonged to Portugal), but that doesn't mean Latin Americans have any claim to Canada or a right to live there.

Even those areas where their claim may have been somewhat solid for a time were almost never actively settled and were not "Spanish speaking" (save for New Mexico and a thin coastal strip of California). Indigenous peoples are the only one's with any true claim to those areas.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,028,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
The US has reached a demographic tipping point, with most babies born now belonging to minority groups.
According to the US Census bureau, black, Hispanic, Asian and mixed-race births made up 50.4% of new arrivals in the year ending in July 2011.
The official notice foreshadows the day, expected in the 2040s, when non-Hispanic whites - like the group that founded America - will be in the minority.BBC News - What will a white-minority US look like?

So could it mean the Spanish speaking minority would assimilate and would much more commonly use English rather than Spanish? In addition would there soon be a Hispanic president?

Plus would the culture of the US be similiar today as in 50 years time?

PS: No racist comments here please.
I was looking over some interesting fertility figures recently and I'm not so sure it will come to pass as predicted. I was amazed at how much the fertility rate has dropped among all ethnic groups, including hispanics. Might be more of a plurality type situation.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,474,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The USA will look like Central America.
Only if we continue pursuing economic policies designed to maximize income inequality.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The US will look a lot like Texas. Here in Texas, we have been a "majority minority" state now for several years, meaning that non Hispanic whites make up less than fifty percent of the population.
Hawaii has never been a majority-white state, and it seems to be doing fairly well.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
The last time i checked the irish people were as pale as ever.

Im beginning to get sick of these annoying american conclusions irish people are not poor they dont live in favellas. My father had a porsche 911 and four houses we now have a vans plane. We are not poor.
But 150 years ago, anti-Irish discrimination was rampant. "No Irish need apply" signs were often seen. They were arguably treated worse than Hispanics are today.

Anti-Irish sentiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM

13,656 posts, read 10,052,479 times
If minorities group together, do they not become majorities?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,689,005 times
i wouldnt worry to much about what it will look like. I give it around 5 years and most of the people in America will be dead anyway.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,151,932 times
A nation in financial ruin.

Let me know when minority business ownership surpasses white business ownership. As far as I can tell, that circumstance won't take place anytime soon, and certainly not before the nation has been ran into a permanent financial ditch.

Minorities better hop to it if they think they can propel this nation back to greatness. The data .....crime/drugs/prison/high school dropouts/welfare/wedlock/abortion, etc........none of it conducive to business ownership......... suggests otherwise, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies