Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times

Advertisements

Why? A lot of us actually like to live. Sorry but I personally don't feel like being a robot in some urban area and riding the bus to my job at the same time everyday, taking the same public transportation home. Every working day. same time. Same routine. Not being able to quit if I feel like it and move to another place whenever I want. I also need to get out. Take a drive someplace. It doesn't need to be for any purpose other then getting off the couch. Ït's nice to be able to get in my car, truck, SUV or whatever kind of vehicle I desire and can afford to and get out of my house. You know, just drive around for the sole purpose of driving. My money, my gas, why should that be an issue?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I would prefer to not live on top of neighbors that are always going to be complaining about something.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:59 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3783 View Post
I was going to relax and take it easy, but after seeing this thread I think I am going to go take my Tahoe around the 610 Loop in second gear, just for fun and to pizz off the eco-Marxist environutjobs.

Congrats on your thread, you just raised my carbon footprint as a result.
Yeah and I think I'll just admire my beautiful, wooded, quiet, private 2.5 acres and watch squirrels play. Then I'll drive around for awhile.

Who on earth wants to live like city cockroaches? And with a grocery store every few feet?

About 10 years ago there was talk about putting up a 7-11 about a mile from my property. It was soundly rejected by those who lived in the area.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,104,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3783 View Post
I was going to relax and take it easy, but after seeing this thread I think I am going to go take my Tahoe around the 610 Loop in second gear, just for fun and to pizz off the eco-Marxist environutjobs.
Congrats on your thread, you just raised my carbon footprint as a result.
This sort of reaction does not surprise me - which is why I call the Car-addicted "ignorant cusses"

You are shooting yourself in the foot...
Or rather: You are draining your own pocket book. How smart is that?
Add up all the money that you have wasted on your car, the gasoline, the insurance....
And you could buy a very nice home.

Some, like me, who have lived for decades without owning a car, and lived in countries which are not pissing away their patrimony on driving, are much better off as a result.

If cars do not drive you crazy, they will drive you (and the country!) to the poorhouse.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
This sort of reaction does not surprise me - which is why I call the Car-addicted "ignorant cusses"

Add up all the money that you have wasted on your car, the gasoline, the insurance....
People enjoy their cars and driving.

Quote:
Some, like me, who have lived for decades without owning a car, and lived in countries which are not pissing away their patrimony on driving, are much better off as a result.

If cars do not drive you crazy, they will drive you (and the country!) to the poorhouse.
I'm doing just fine, thank you very much.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Post of the year !

I totally agree.
Car culture is our version of the Taliban.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Got a nice home.
Got adequate money.
Got two nice vehicles.
Can afford $6 per gal. gas.
What else do I need?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would prefer to not live on top of neighbors that are always going to be complaining about something.
There are so many ways that a city (and its residents) win from getting rid of cars...

+ Lower taxes (since the infrastructure does not need to be stretched across such a large landscape)
+ Less pollution
+ More wealth stays in the community (instead of being drained away to pay for "imported" oil)
+ Less need to maintain a military presence in foreign oil producing countries
+ People get to know their neighbors
+ As stated before, people save perhaps $8-10,000 per annum by ditching their cars

Every major city of the world has a strong mass transit system, and most of its people can live happily without cars. Charlotte is not there yet. Can it make it? And certainly the metro areas of CLT that spill over to SC are far behind

Those who say they "enjoy their cars" have not considered the many ways that "making car owners happy" destroys a community and its future. EXHIBIT A, is Detroit - called the Motor City. I was born there, saw what cars were doing, and got-the-hell-out as soon as I could. When I go back to visit family, I nearly weep for what it has become.

Video:

Last edited by Geologic; 02-01-2013 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Got a nice home.
Got adequate money.
Got two nice vehicles.
Can afford $6 per gal. gas.
What else do I need?
A future.

This thread is a boob test.
If enough boobs post here, I may stay away from Charlotte and its environs.
I had considered moving back to the USA, but if no one gets it, I wills stay abroad,
and let the boobs drown in the mess they are creating

Places like Baxter and Riverwalk gave me hope, but maybe they are just "noise"

Thanks. T-Cat, for seeing the light.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:15 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post

I fail to see how my purchasing a car is hurting anyone else.

I didn't buy a house with debt, nor have I ever bought a car with debt. Both are nice and I can afford them easily, my quality of life has improved as a result, and nobody is hurt because of my purchasing decisions.

Blow me, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies