Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:05 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,275,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
So where do you draw a line...Lets say a couple went to a Jewish baker and requested that he bake a cake with Hitler's photo...And he refused...should he be forced to bake that cake...
Interesting point. Waiting for answers.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:05 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,385,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Amazing all these posters who do not support state laws, I thought that's what y'all supported? "The Oregon Equality Act of 2007" is a state law.
I disagree with you about 98.5% of the time but had to give you some rep because you are right. The {R}s used to believe in state rights but want to jam their ideology down the whole countries throats. The voters of Oregon have spoken and the owner is in clear violation of the law. I do give the owner credit he is sticking up for his religious convictions and know he is not in compliance and is man enough to accept the consequences. So what freedom was violated?

Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,478,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
This is the exact argument owners of "whites only" businesses in the South used to justify discrimination. It has been illegal for decades. Why are we still debating this?
Times are different today. That was a state sanctioned, socially accepted discrimination that had been a part of society for decades. The civil rights law had its time, and should now be allowed to expire.

I like money, so I wouldn't deny business to anyone who can pay, but it doesn't mean the federal government or state government has the right to enforce social justice on private citizens.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,366,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think that this guys views are antiquated, ignorant, and improper.

That said a private business owner should be able to deny service to anyone, for whatever reason.

If we can put protections in for race, same should be there for GLBT also. I disagree with any kind of tums regulations, but my opinion isn't based on hate, its that its supposed to be a free country.

Government shouldn't be allowed to discriminate, private citizens should be left alone.
How'd that work for the south? Refusing to serve blacks?
You think that should be reinstituted?

Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,061,088 times
They should've just went to another bakery. Move on and quit making a deal out of something. Its not like that's the only baker around.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,303,134 times
Quote:
So where do you draw a line...Lets say a couple went to a Jewish baker and requested that he bake a cake with Hitler's photo...And he refused...should he be forced to bake that cake...
You can go to any baker today, not just Jewish, and most would refuse to put Hitler's photo on a cake. I'm not sure on the legality, but I imagine the principle aligns with "bad taste" or "offensive".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Times are different today. That was a state sanctioned, socially accepted discrimination that had been a part of society for decades. The civil rights law had its time, and should now be allowed to expire.

I like money, so I wouldn't deny business to anyone who can pay, but it doesn't mean the federal government or state government has the right to enforce social justice on private citizens.
Times are different, but not equally so in all parts of the country. My friend moved to BFE and told me about a sign that their sheriff put up "no N allowed after dark". I think the civil rights law is still justified, though you might argue a specific aspect is not needed or outdated.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,618,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
They should've just went to another bakery. Move on and quit making a deal out of something. Its not like that's the only baker around.
I bet people told Rosa Parks, "Just move up north and find a bus. Quit making a big deal about it. There's states where you can ride up front."

Good thing she didn't listen.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:35 AM

79,910 posts, read 44,441,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You can go to any baker today, not just Jewish, and most would refuse to put Hitler's photo on a cake. I'm not sure on the legality, but I imagine the principle aligns with "bad taste" or "offensive".
This becomes the problem. Who gets to determine bad taste?

Quote:
Times are different, but not equally so in all parts of the country. My friend moved to BFE and told me about a sign that their sheriff put up "no N allowed after dark". I think the civil rights law is still justified, though you might argue a specific aspect is not needed or outdated.
Civil Rights laws are not outdated. The problem arise with the size of the problem. The government addressed the big picture. They are not so good nor do I want them micro managing everything.

I asked the question earlier what we do here? Force them to make the cake? What happens when he creates an ugly ass cake they do not want to use?

Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,152,138 times
Quote:
They are not cracking down on his religious views, what they are doing is the same thing as when restaurant owners refused to serve blacks at the whites only lunch counter.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,275,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

Many consider a gay themed wedding cake "bad taste" and "offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies