Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,072,044 times

Advertisements

The liberals responses on this thread are furher proof that they only care about the First Amendment when it protects views that they express.

Liberals don't give two cents for any one elses opinions.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,882,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Oh, nuts to his religious views!

Any religion that teaches it is okay to hate and practice discrimination doesn't deserve respect. It is long past time decent, intelligent secularists got in the faces of religious fanatics like this.
As always, the left lies - which is why I despise the left - liars, hypocrites, keyhole peekers, dictators (ve vill contrlol all azpects of yor life)
How do you know who or what he hates or doesn't hate?

My daughter told me she has decided she is gay - you think I hate her?
Probably you do because your too stupid to realize someone can disapprove and not support behavior they believe is not appropriate and still love that person. I'm not even upset about it, I'm slightly bemused and believe as she ages, she will eventually grow up and grow out of it as I personally believe in that aspect of her life she is making poor choices.

But you try to label something hate so you can somehow justify behavior you know is sick and perverted and feel good about it while it makes a mockery of marriage and family.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,072,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Brilliant rebuttle there.

{edit} thanks for editing, I will do the same.

It was Bush that argued he could throw citizens in prison and discard their due process rights. It was McCain under Bush that said he could stop you when you said nasty things he didn't like about him.
You have entirely mischaracterized the legislation of which you speak.

McCain under Bush? I will have to verify what you have cited, but assuming that it is true, and if McCain still feels the same way, doesn't that mean that McCain under Obama thinks that way?

Hint - the Senate is separate from the executive branch.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,359,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You have entirely mischaracterized the legislation of which you speak.
O.K. I'm listening as to how.

Quote:
McCain under Bush? I will have to verify what you have cited, but assuming that it is true, and if McCain still feels the same way, doesn't that mean that McCain under Obama thinks that way?
Yes, I have no use for him under either. But the actions were taken under Bush.

Quote:
Hint - the Senate is separate from the executive branch.
And "the left" is neither.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,969,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Let's take a different hypothetical example. Should a black owned bakery be forced to bake a cake for a KKK rally. Should a Jewish owned caterer be forced by law to cater a dinner for a Nazi rally. You can't equate discrimination of blacks as the same as discrimination against gay people. Black is a inherit characteristic in some people based on their genetic code inherited from their parents. Homosexuality is behavior/philosophy. That's two different things.
Because a private business is free to refuse content. So if the lesbian couple said they wanted a cake decorated with an image of Ellen DeGeneres driving a Subaru the bakery owner is well within his rights to say he doesn't make cakes because he finds Subaru's to be overrated vehicles that offend his sense of style. He cannot however refuse to make any cake because of the couple's sexual orientation. That is part of who they are, not what they like, and the people of Oregon have decided that sexual orientation cannot be discriminated against any more than religion or race.

Quote:
And if slavery isn't taking 2/3 rds of your income in taxes, then I don't know what slavery is. I'd love to hear what someone who thinks that's not slavery is a fair tax?
You need a new accountant.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,257,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
So where do you draw a line...Lets say a couple went to a Jewish baker and requested that he bake a cake with Hitler's photo...And he refused...should he be forced to bake that cake...
That depends, does the baker make Hitler cakes for anyone else? If they made Hitler cakes for couple A, but not for couple B that would be discrimination against couple B.

This baker makes wedding cakes for couple A, but not couple B that is discrimination against couple B.

If the baker did not make Hitler cakes/wedding cakes for anyone, then providing that service is not required based on the law in the state. Since he does, he is required to make them for anyone.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,842,321 times
You really can't paint all liberals in one broad stroke of the brush. I consider myself "liberal" on social issues. But with that said, I feel that the couple would have been better off just leaving the bakery and going elsewhere.

There are hundreds of reasons people are judged and discriminated for. Too short, too big, wrong color skin, wrong neighborhood, wrong schooling, low income, high income, you name it. We will never as a society regulate all of those judgments. Sometimes you have to pick you battles, and move on. I seriously doubt this couple would have been any more worse the wear had they just gone elsewhere and let this man with his belief (although I don't agree personally) have his beliefs and if he loses business, that's on him.

We can't have government regulate every thought and judgment in every case. This was a cake, not an oxygen tank. Perspective.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 AM

861 posts, read 1,252,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I'm lookiing forward to the case where two well known local redneck outlaw bikers plan a wedding with their club members in the woods and are refused service by the local gay florist. The bikers sue the florist and win, because this case set the precedent. Due to the high cost of litigation, the florist will lose their business which will be taken over by the bikers, who will have to explain to their friends the distinction between pansies and daisies.

ROFL

Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,515,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Many consider a gay themed wedding cake "bad taste" and "offensive.
Many people consider it bad taste when someone forces their religious beliefs on others.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,196,180 times
Quote:
Of course he has the right to his views.

What he doesn't have is the right to discriminate against people based on religion or sexual orientation.
If he is in a state or locality that forbids discrimination in business dealings he could be very well breaking the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies