Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,417,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Sounds like a right wing fascist religious zealot nutjob. Plenty of them still around, so what's new?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:42 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,492,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
The man has right to his views...whether you agree with them or not...we still live in a free nation in spite of the left...
He has a right to his views in private. He does not get to discriminate against others. This is no different than a restaurant owners refusing to serve black customers.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,417,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't see anyone cracking down on anyone. The lesbians made a complaint and they are required to review the complaint. I dont' know why gays always make a big deal out of everything, but it must be because they want their faces in the media so they can play their victim card. If a bakery refused to sell me a cake, I'd just go to another bakery.
It's the religious nutjobs who are always making a big deal out of everything.

Sell 'em a cake for Christ's sake.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,597,935 times
Amazing all these posters who do not support state laws, I thought that's what y'all supported? "The Oregon Equality Act of 2007" is a state law.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 AM

24,865 posts, read 24,446,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
He has a right to his views in private. He does not get to discriminate against others. This is no different than a restaurant owners refusing to serve black customers.
I disagree, its a private business, not public.

This is where I diverge from liberals, I believe in actual freedom, even the freedom to be ignorant. This guy, just like an Ethiopian business owner refusing service to a white guy, should be legal.

Really, do you want service by someone who hates you? Or would you rather know it up front so you can take your money elsewhere? What you suggest is that you'd rather give money to someone who hates you, as long as they have the government regulated coke and a smile.

Its a free country. If I don't want to serve someone, for whatever reason, I shouldn't be forced to.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,359,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Amazing all these posters who do not support state laws, I thought that's what y'all supported? "The Oregon Equality Act of 2007" is a state law.
So what do you do? Force him to create a cake? So he makes an ugly ass cake. What was accomplished? Rather than look to the government, look to your friends and neighbors.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,282,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Bigotry is illegal in Oregon. The law covers the same action if he did it to blacks, jews, or christians.

Using the bible to hate perverts gods word of love for his creations. This man should be ashamed.
He should be ashamed. But as others have already stated, this is a free country and his business is his to do as he pleases. If the community is disgusted and ashamed of what he does they can refuse to do business with him. They even have the right to express their opinions against him. But this is the US and he is within his right to do as he wants.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,492,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If I don't want to serve someone, for whatever reason, I shouldn't be forced to.
This is the exact argument owners of "whites only" businesses in the South used to justify discrimination. It has been illegal for decades. Why are we still debating this?

Old 02-04-2013, 06:02 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,596,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Sigh: This used to be a free country. You were free to hold religious beliefs, even if others disagreed. If you ran a business, you could choose to serve certain customers or not. I guess they want to take away all our rights, and just enslave us.
People being enslaved, not being able to vote, marginalized and having significantly fewer rights than everyone else for so many years of our country's history is the reason we have these laws.

Enslave us? Please. Your use of this word in this context is an insult.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:02 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,125,184 times
Quote:
This is the exact argument owners of "whites only" businesses in the South used to justify discrimination. It has been illegal for decades. Why are we still debating this?
So where do you draw a line...Lets say a couple went to a Jewish baker and requested that he bake a cake with Hitler's photo...And he refused...should he be forced to bake that cake...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies