Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're kidding, right?
no I'm stargazzer, nice to meet you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
no I'm stargazzer, nice to meet you
Nice to meet you too - now please go back to Economics 101.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Nice to meet you too - now please go back to Economics 101.
You've returned empty handed again then. No content no argument

Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The value merits the supply of American engineers. It's a domestic labor market, not international.
Have you ever heard of globalization? A fast food job cannot be outsourced, but an engineering job can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Well your brother's a douchebag. He's the problem.
My brother doesn't control the market any more than you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
By the way, engineering jobs are not being outsourced.
Yes they are. If the job can get done cheaper somewhere else then it will be.

http://www.soc.duke.edu/GlobalEngine...ngineering.pdf
Why more engineers are losing jobs | Marketplace.org
High-skilled jobs being outsourced to India
India
Engineering Newsletters - ASME

Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 PM

I couldn't watch the speech because they are becoming too dramatic one after another .

Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
You've returned empty handed again then. No content no argument

Let's see - I've posted several posts on this thread complete with a myriad of sources to back my assertions and opinions. Let's see if you can do the same.

Please explain how raising the minimum wage to, let's see, you recommended $12 an hour, "gets dollars moving around town." I take it to mean you think that would be a good idea - am I correct? If so, please explain how this would be good for the economy.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Let's see - I've posted several posts on this thread complete with a myriad of sources to back my assertions and opinions. Let's see if you can do the same.

Please explain how raising the minimum wage to, let's see, you recommended $12 an hour, "gets dollars moving around town." I take it to mean you think that would be a good idea - am I correct? If so, please explain how this would be good for the economy.
As you know I'm commenting on this min wage thing and the consequence of workers having more spending power. I have no idea what your thinking is and didn't quote any of it.... will go through the thread and try to understand where this confusion is coming from

Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
When you raise minimum wage, ALL wages must be adjusted upward, which means the cost of labor goes up for ALL wage levels, not just your minimum wage earners. This impacts pricing, hiring plans, benefits, cost of goods from suppliers...and our unemployment rate.

SHEEEZE.

But hey, those minimum wage workers will vote for Obama, even after they lose their job or their cost of living goes up. They won't see the correlation - they'll just keep hatin' on da man.

They'll just have the wrong man in mind.
Ok...I disagree All out greed and selfishness is why the economy is what it is. Every dood on every corner and in every building wants to be a billionaire, just ask them.

Last edited by stargazzer; 02-13-2013 at 01:21 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Have you ever heard of globalization? A fast food job cannot be outsourced, but an engineering job can be.

My brother doesn't control the market any more than you do.

Yes they are. If the job can get done cheaper somewhere else then it will be.

http://www.soc.duke.edu/GlobalEngine...ngineering.pdf
Why more engineers are losing jobs | Marketplace.org
High-skilled jobs being outsourced to India
India
Engineering Newsletters - ASME

Yes, engineering jobs could be outsourced. However, companies aren't willing to do that. Apple has all the opportunity to leave a highly regulated and taxed state to set up shop over seas where production is much cheaper. Not to mention that a lot of engineering jobs are a security risk to export being that a lot of tech jobs are in the defense industry. DC has the most tech talent in the country. Those jobs aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
We've had relatively little true inflation these past years, which is actually quite a surprise. What ended up happening was the banks basically became a vacuum for that liquidity injection the fed prescribed to fix what ails us. Obviously, it didn't work, but it did cover an awful lot of undeserved CEO bonuses. Nice work Obummer...

Now, when the banks start unleashing that $$$ they've been investing in T-bonds and such, THEN you will see what inflation really looks like. And then you can REALLY give Obama a firm high five, from behind and round again. Maybe his buddy Jay Z will join in, since he pals around so much with him, instead of people who actually know something about the economy.
That we have had little inflation the last few years is not at all a surprise with consumer de-leveraging, bank uneasiness, and qualified applicants' reluctance take on loans. Those are the reasons why they started quantitative easing in the first place, to prevent deflation and encourage lending.

People act like the Fed has no power to curb inflation when lending picks up. They do, and it has been done before. Paul Volcker cut inflation from 13.5% to 3.2% from 1981 to 1983 by raising the federal funds rate.

They can also sell off assets, increase reserve requirements, and pay interest on bank reserves.

It's not a one-way valve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies