Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Really? You would have cops, do road blocks, stopping cars that looked like Dorner's to search, all the while not knowing that he would shoot them if he had the chance.

You seriously have no clue what you are talking about.

Fact: they didn't.

You don't know what the intention was. They could have been trying to stop the vehicle, but it kept on driving. You don't know.

I wouldn't be doing something that the police would find suspicious to have a reason to shoot at me.
Since when is delivering newspapers or driving to the beach to go surfing considered "suspicious behaviors giving police reason to shoot".

Police seeking Dorner opened fire in a second case of mistaken identity - Los Angeles Times
Quote:
David Perdue was on his way to sneak in some surfing before work Thursday morning when police flagged him down. They asked who he was and where he was headed, then sent him on his way.

Seconds later, Perdue's attorney said, a Torrance police cruiser slammed into his pickup and officers opened fire; none of the bullets struck Perdue.
Women shot by cops were just delivering papers - U.S. News
Quote:
Two women who were delivering newspapers in Torrance, Calif., early Thursday were shot by jittery Los Angeles police officers who mistakenly thought cop-hunting fugitive Christopher Dorner might be in their vehicle, NBCLosAngeles.com reported.
One was shot once and the other twice; both were were expected to survive. Police did not release their names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
Quote:
did they know that the people in the car was innocent? All they had was a description of a vehicle. And in this instance, the two ladies were seen throwing objects from their truck window. The police had no idea it was newspapers or if it was a bomb.
The court cases and City insurance would have covered the loss to the family, the officers involved would be investigated (and probably suspended or let go).
Umm, don't you think the police had an obligation to figure out if the people in the vehicles were innocent before shooting them? That's my point. The police didn't even have exact matches on the vehicle descriptions and definitely no match on the occupant descriptions yet they still opened fire. Not ok.

I'm sorry but if someone killed a member of my family, insurance covering their loss would be of little comfort to me. The officers would be suspended or let go? Yeah, that would make it all better.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,226,123 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be doing something that the police would find suspicious to have a reason to shoot at me.
Well, Anus, I don't think women delivering newspapers were doing anything to warrant being shot at either! You make some really stupid assumptions!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,786 times
Quote:
did they know that the people in the car was innocent? All they had was a description of a vehicle. And in this instance, the two ladies were seen throwing objects from their truck window. The police had no idea it was newspapers or if it was a bomb.

Again, they didnt even have the right vehicle. Even if Dorner was driving a Titan that said "Dorner's Vehicle", and the police stopped it, they cant just light it up and shoot the cabin because they THINK its him. It could be a hostage he told to drive the vehicle etc. You need to identify and be positive who you are about to shoot. Guns 101.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM

68 posts, read 51,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Umm, don't you think the police had an obligation to figure out if the people in the vehicles were innocent before shooting them? That's my point. The police didn't even have exact matches on the vehicle descriptions and definitely no match on the occupant descriptions yet they still opened fire. Not ok.

I'm sorry but if someone killed a member of my family, insurance covering their loss would be of little comfort to me. The officers would be suspended or let go? Yeah, that would make it all better.
People are killed all the time due to the negligent action of others, and they don't go to jail. I don't see anyone complaining about that...

Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepsis View Post
Totally true - I would trust every allegation made by a man who wantonly murders innocent people because he got fired.
However he could have also murdered 3 other people which would have probably lead to him not being captured, and he declined to do so.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM

861 posts, read 1,250,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepsis View Post
If he wanted due process, why didn't he surrender?

I'd like to know exactly what you propose the authorities should have done in this situation.
I am not a police tactician so I cannot enlighten you to what the police should have done. I am referring to the posts here where people are suggesting our constitutional rights should simply be waived when it's convenient. That is not how the constitution works.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
However he could have also murdered 3 other people which would have probably lead to him not being captured, and he declined to do so.
And?.. It's okay that he only murdered some innocent people but not others? We can infer from the fact that he was selective in what innocent people he murdered that his claims that went through the superior court of California were in fact merited, and not the result of his own paranoia and the fact that said FTO didn't like his performance?

Sure, buddy.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
I am not a police tactician so I cannot enlighten you to what the police should have done. I am referring to the posts here where people are suggesting our constitutional rights should simply be waived when it's convenient. That is not how the constitution works.
I don't think anyone has said that - I think people are pointing out that it is illogical to presume the police were going to be able to capture an active shooter who had murdered multiple cops and had made it very clear he would not be taken alive.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,274,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Since when is delivering newspapers or driving to the beach to go surfing considered "suspicious behaviors giving police reason to shoot".
Throwing objects out of the window. In a neighborhood where one of the cops mentioned in Dorner's manifesto lived.

The police had no idea whether or not they were throwing newspapers or throwing a bomb or incendiary device or if they were working with Dorner (no one knew if he had accomplices or not).

When I delivered newspapers, we actually got out of the car and placed the newspapers near the mailbox or threw it far enough into the property to be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies