Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually the slogan is true, it is hard to see racism when you are white because you don't see people in power being racist to you on a daily basis
How could you possibly know?

I mean either you're white, and you don't know what it is like to be non-white.

Or you're non-white, and you don't know what it is like to be white.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
My wife got her pocketbook stolen by three black girls in Philadelphia. She and her friend chased after them and they were caught and arrested. They called my wife and her friend racist. It was hilarious. I hope they enjoyed their stay in jail. Justice served.
A white guy entered my house when I was a little girl of 5. He climbed in the window while we were asleep, and my dad woke up, and his neighbor (who'd been awake), had seen the a-hole, ran over and came into our house also through the window. Dad and the neighbor chased the guy around the house and he climbed back out the window and ran down the street. Dad and the neighbor also climbed out the window and chased him down the street, but he disappeared. It sounds funny as h_ll, and he didn't get to steal anything, but it wasn't funny - I was left with bad dreams after that.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,373 times
You should see the books that high school and college kids are required to read thees days. The common theme that white people suck is only overshadowed by an even bigger theme that men suck.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
A white guy entered my house when I was a little girl of 5. He climbed in the window while we were asleep, and my dad woke up, and his neighbor (who'd been awake), had seen the a-hole, ran over and came into our house also through the window. Dad and the neighbor chased the guy around the house and he climbed back out the window and ran down the street. Dad and the neighbor also climbed out the window and chased him down the street, but he disappeared. It sounds funny as h_ll, and he didn't get to steal anything, but it wasn't funny - I was left with bad dreams after that.
My wife, who treats developmentally disabled children in poor neighborhoods, has interrupted black men trying to steal her car numerous times. She carries a gun now. While I hope she never has to use it, I hope she does use it next time she sees an attempted break in. And there will be a next time.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Give it time and they will be taught that it is unfair to be intelligent. Unfair to be strong of body...unfair to be gifted with what other were not given. There is no such thing as white privilege - If there was you would have a white hillbilly sitting in the white house drinking shine in the Oval Office...not that would be a bad thing.
What a narrow view of privilege. Its no where near as simple a construct as you or most people make it out to be.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
My wife, who treats developmentally disabled children in poor neighborhoods, has interrupted black men trying to steal her car numerous times. She carries a gun now. While I hope she never has to use it, I hope she does use it next time she sees an attempted break in. And there will be a next time.
I have a (white) friend who had to hide from her (white) husband after she told him she was divorcing him. He beat the _____ out of her, vicious sob that he is. Not long after that, he was found to have been embezzling at the company he works at. He then took her child - kidnap - across state lines and was finally arrested, so she was able to come out of hiding. The criminal _ssh_le is now living in a prison. Took long enough because he was white.

We can go on like this all day if you wish, roc. Your turn.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I have a (white) friend who had to hide from her (white) husband after she told him she was divorcing him. He beat the _____ out of her, vicious sob that he is. Not long after that, he was found to have been embezzling at the company he works at. He then took her child - kidnap - across state lines and was finally arrested, so she was able to come out of hiding. The criminal _ssh_le is now living in a prison. Took long enough because he was white.

We can go on like this all day if you wish, roc. Your turn.
my turn:

my uncle was murdered by 3 black guys for no reason. shot in the forehead by a pistol at point-blank range.

but hey, it's fair, we're white and priviledged, i'm sure we deserve it.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Give it time and they will be taught that it is unfair to be intelligent. Unfair to be strong of body...unfair to be gifted with what other were not given. There is no such thing as white privilege - If there was you would have a white hillbilly sitting in the white house drinking shine in the Oval Office...not that would be a bad thing.
I think a lot of people really don't understand privilege.

It doesn't mean that you live in easy street for everything. But there are lots of slights that happen because if privilege.

Look at the statements in this thread. Someone said that black people are more likely to shoplift. There was no evidence to back this up, many people refuted the statement with their own experiences, but there was no major outcry. Two things are assumed. 1. The poster was right without facts. 2. Black people are shoplifters.

Now imagine how this will manifest it self in real life for someone like me. People will just assume I am a thief. With no evidence to the contrary.

Additional assumptions I have experienced? Shock at the college I attended. Shock at the job I have. Surprise because I "sound well spoken." And even surprise when I say I grew up in middle class suburbia. All of this is related to privilege.

You have the privilege (as a white person) to assume your experience is normal and translates to everyone else's.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
my turn:

my uncle was murdered by 3 black guys for no reason. shot in the forehead by a pistol at point-blank range.

but hey, it's fair, we're white and priviledged, i'm sure we deserve it.

A homeless man who hung out outside my workplace when I worked at a large firm in a large city was beaten up and murdered by a group of white guys. It was all over the news.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM

799 posts, read 1,095,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You're right: the Black slaves were worth MORE so the plantation owners hired Irish people to do the really bad work.
Yet... The Irish got paid and the Afrikan slaves got beat, two different outcomes for the same field of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies