Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,410 times

Advertisements

I agree with the OP. They want to ban guns all guns. If you buy that they only want the so called bad guns you are a swamp land buyer in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I can buy a gun, with a background check from a dealer. I can then step out to my car drive to Walmart, and sale it to the first guy who walks out. No background check for him. Hence, the problem. All sales, even person to person, should have a background check mandatory.
Why is that a problem?

If you are a prohibited person, buying a gun is already illegal.

There's no problem with enforcement either. When you are stopped by LEO, they check you and your gun. If you are not a prohibited person and the gun is not stolen or used in a crime, you are free to go; otherwise, you take a trip to the jail house.

If a mad man decides to shoot up a school, you aren't going to stop him. There can be only two scenarios:
1. He has no record - he sails through your precious background check like nothing.
2. He has a record and he gets denied - he would beg, steal and murder to get hold of the gun. Best yet, he could simply look at the news paper with interactive map to find a gun owner to target.

You, on the other hand, put a LARGE crowd of law abiding citizens in this major inconvenience while solving nothing.

By the way, the government is NOT enforcing the current background check as it is. More background check is the answer???!!!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why is that a problem?

If you are a prohibited person, buying a gun is already illegal.

There's no problem with enforcement either. When you are stopped by LEO, they check you and your gun. If you are not a prohibited person and the gun is not stolen or used in a crime, you are free to go; otherwise, you take a trip to the jail house.

If a mad man decides to shoot up a school, you aren't going to stop him. There can be only two scenarios:
1. He has no record - he sails through your precious background check like nothing.
2. He has a record and he gets denied - he would beg, steal and murder to get hold of the gun. Best yet, he could simply look at the news paper with interactive map to find a gun owner to target.

You, on the other hand, put a LARGE crowd of law abiding citizens in this major inconvenience while solving nothing.

By the way, the government is NOT enforcing the current background check as it is. More background check is the answer???!!!

Because legal buyers sell to illegal buyers, knowingly for criminal purposes, and make money from it.

If everyone is required to have a background check, even for person to person sale, it will partially stem that tide, and allow law enforcement better control mechanisms to keep criminals from getting legally bought guns.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Gun Background Checks Supported By More Than 90 Percent: Poll

Thats what happens when you live in a bubble where everyone agrees with you, and if they don't, you don't want to hear from them.
Depends how the question is asked, the poll can mean jack squat.

I seriously doubt you get 90% if the question is "Would you support a background check on your son when you buy a gun for your son?"

Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Because legal buyers sell to illegal buyers, knowingly for criminal purposes, and make money from it.

If everyone is required to have a background check, even for person to person sale, it will partially stem that tide, and allow law enforcement better control mechanisms to keep criminals from getting legally bought guns.
That again is already illegal. Knowingly sell to a prohibited person is highly illegal.

Go look up research on where criminals get guns. Focus on that please. Straw purchase is the biggest source for criminals. Go after the straw purchasers who are often the criminals family and friends - even NRA supports that.

I fully support making straw purchaser equally liable for the crime committed with their purchased guns! That is proper gun control!!!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:13 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Just admit it, you use the terms, "sensible gun regulation" "Gun safety" bla bla bla but you just want to make it like England where its near impossible for a citizen to own a gun. You may think it will make the streets safe, and that the second amendment is outdated what ever I really don't care.

But in the end you know you can't jump the hurdle of lets get rid of all guns now. But you think you can cull the weak by taking or banning the so called bad guns. The "assault weapons" . no one needs this kind of gun. No one needs more than 10 rounds in a magazine. Once these are gone are you going to tell me that that's it. You will not want any more laws banning any other weapons? BS BS BS I call on you. If you got what you wanted you would go ape crap the next time someone walked into a school with a shot gun or a movie theater with a shot gun, or took a rifle with scope and shot a school yard up and want to ban the bad assault shot gun or the bad military style sniper rifle. These guns are made for killing. The military uses a scoped rifle for killing long distance, why does a citizen need one? I know as well as the sun will rise in the east in the morning that you will not stop till its illegal to own a gun in these United States. I would have a little respect for you if you just admit it, not much but a little.

sensible legislation? sure thing. we have NFA34, GCA68, GCA86, the failed AWB94 and about 5000 federal and 20000 state gun control laws already on the books.

great, lets repeal all of these and say that is the sensible thing to do, especially since politicians admit that gun control will not reduce crime, since criminals shall not follow the law anyway.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
That again is already illegal. Knowingly sell to a prohibited person is highly illegal.

Go look up research on where criminals get guns. Focus on that please. Straw purchase is the biggest source for criminals. Go after the straw purchasers who are often the criminals family and friends - even NRA supports that.

I fully support making straw purchaser equally liable for the crime committed with their purchased guns!
No way of knowing without requiring the background check.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,005 times
Quote:

A background check did not stop Chris Dorner. But he is in the minority. Most of the time, a background check will stop a mentally deranged person from aquiring a firearm. That's why I support a universal BG check, but not a ban on types of weapons or magazine capacity. No matter what laws we pass, some people, (like Dorner) will be able to aquire the guns. But we can limit that ability with a background check, and still allow stable, law abiding citizens to purchase the firearms that they desire.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:

I fully support making straw purchaser equally liable for the crime committed with their purchased guns! That is proper gun control!!!

I support once again being able to buy firearms through sears catalogs, and being able to buy any type of firearm you can afford with no government control at all. let the law abiding defend themselves with any type of firearm that the military currently carries.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 PM

198 posts, read 167,705 times
I don't know why these gun grabbing liberals keep using the NRA as the catch all for gun owner representation. Well actually I do, it's because they are too lazy and stupid to do the math so let me help you out a bit if you think you can keep up.

The NRA's own web site says they have approximately 4,000,000 members. There are as of the last estimate in 2012, over 270,000,000 privately owned firearms in the US. I'm sure it's way more than that now with the gun-control fear mongering that has been going on since December. Now if those 4 million NRA members owned all of those guns that would be 67.5 guns per member. But realistically all gun owners are NOT NRA members (including myself) and if there were only 4 million gun owners in the US then I think it would be extremely easy to just abolish the 2nd amendment through constitutional convention. But back to reality, there are probably more likely between 45 million and 150 million lawful gun owners and the number of unlawful gun owners is anyone's guess. But the number is at such a high level that nobody wants to put the 2nd Amendment up for popular vote to see if the people want to abolish it out of fear of the reality that the majority of the people do not want their gun rights taken away. There are many who are not gun owners who come families that believe in the Constitution and protecting all right contained within it.

Now I only own a hand full of guns (far from 67 of them), and there are many who only own 1 or 2 per household while others have vast collections so the exact number of gun owners is unknown. But to use the estimates from above if there are 4 million NRA members then there are between 41 million and 146 million gun owners that are NOT NRA members. So perhaps you liberal gun grabbers should stop using the NRA as your catch all scape goat for gun rights advocacy. Also I'm sure the firearms manufacturers have plenty of money to do their own lobbying w/o the need of the NRA to do the talking for them. Besides I suspect they use the same people to push for Government contracts to provide arms to the various Federal agencies that require them.

I realize this is probably way too much for most of you to comprehend but it was worth the shot.
Have a nice day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies