Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,779,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So if an IT person loses their job (offshoring), they should take a fast food job?
If that is what it takes yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It isn't the adult that doesn't work who is justified in receiving the support, it's the child.

We're kind of trapped. We give the money for the sake of the child, who is innocent. We can't force women to not have kids, because that would violate their rights. So we're locked into paying for any woman who has a child and doesn't work. Regardless of why she isn't working.

Yet we can force people to perform labor to pay for the kid.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post

So let's say Ms. IT gets laid off and gets N dollars in unemployment benefits.

Now let's say she takes a fast food job paying 1/4 as much.

Now let's say she gets laid off from Burger Hut.

Because she took the Hut job, she now qualifies for 1/4 N dollars in unemployment, instead of the N dollars
that the IT job qualified her for.

Was taking that fast food job a good decision?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:39 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Does social security count as welfare?
We earn Social Security by paying into it our entire working lives. No, it is absolutely not welfare.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
So you're basically cool with corporations f'g up this country all they wish, right?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
So you're basically cool with corporations f'g up this country all they wish, right?
Corporations have not "f...k..d" up this country.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,779,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So let's say Ms. IT gets laid off and gets N dollars in unemployment benefits.

Now let's say she takes a fast food job paying 1/4 as much.

Now let's say she gets laid off from Burger Hut.

Because she took the Hut job, she now qualifies for 1/4 N dollars in unemployment, instead of the N dollars
that the IT job qualified her for.

Was taking that fast food job a good decision?
First thats not how unemployment works. Sounds like she is not a very good employee if she cannot keep a job. Maybe she should of worked harder and became the manager of the burger hut or got 2 jobs.

Does Ms IT have the right to have someone else to pay her bills. Does she have the right to not work because she can get the government to steel money from hard working people so she can stay home.

My point with starting this thread still stands see post one.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I think you're blinded by your hatred towards right wingers.

100% of right wingers don't believe 100% of those on welfare are cheats. Its the ones that are cheating the system that need to be removed, and figure out ways that it cannot be continually abused. There needs to be reform and personal accountability. There are legitimate reasons to get assistance, and there aren't. If you can't acknowledge that and don't feel it needs to be looked into, I don't know what to tell you.
What really bothers me by the other comments is this idea that because some believes in welfare limits, etc that we must all be rightwingers. I am not and do support helping those truly needy, like elderly, disabled, those who fell on hard times. Sadly, many on welfare didn't fall on hard times, many did it to themselves and KEEP doing it to themselves like a woman I saw in the paper with 9 kids, 25 and never worked before. Going by the logic of the extreme lefties this woman deserves help. Of course the lefties also think that because we disapprove of the welfare system we must support the wars, giving tax breaks to the rich and all the other goofy things. I don't support war, or tax breaks and oppose outsourcing. I support helping those in need, not those greedy.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:34 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
What really bothers me by the other comments is this idea that because some believes in welfare limits, etc that we must all be rightwingers. I am not and do support helping those truly needy, like elderly, disabled, those who fell on hard times. Sadly, many on welfare didn't fall on hard times, many did it to themselves and KEEP doing it to themselves like a woman I saw in the paper with 9 kids, 25 and never worked before. Going by the logic of the extreme lefties this woman deserves help. Of course the lefties also think that because we disapprove of the welfare system we must support the wars, giving tax breaks to the rich and all the other goofy things. I don't support war, or tax breaks and oppose outsourcing. I support helping those in need, not those greedy.
Good post and I am of the same opinions. However, like so many other conservatives I have also been stereotyped by the left of all those other things just because I only want to support the truly needy not those who are welfare dependent because of their bad decisions in life.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM

316 posts, read 214,676 times
Millions are not on welfare as GOP would like you to beleive. Only 1% of the country are on gov programs. If they do try to commit fraud, they aren't getting rich from it. How is this different for big corporations getting hefty tax breaks and bail outs? What about the rich kids carousing all day not contributing to society? Maybe they need to take a drug test before they inherit millions. If it's fair for welfare recipients it's fair for them. I also notice much of the welfare stigma is geared toward women. Maybe if the absent father was forced to pay child support , less of the programs would be needed. It isn't a one-way street. and I am about tired of the stigma when millions go to poor in other countries and billions spent on wars. So living off someone else's money is ok as long as it's not government? If you got rid of welfare, then the child tax credits and exemptions some of you get would have to go too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies