Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Detroit Tops 2013 List Of America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes

Common themes:

Heavy union presence (broke pension funds)
Liberals
Welfare for everyone
Gun control.

Libs: You OWN this misery!
Gee, partisan right winger says he doesn't like liberals. News at 11:00.

It's FORBES, Jean. FORBES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Gee, partisan right winger says he doesn't like liberals. News at 11:00.

It's FORBES, Jean. FORBES.
Hahaha.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What isn't a liberal town, unless it's Wichita, Oklahoma City and Tulsa. And who would want to live in those places?
Hell, she's also claiming Stockton, Modesto, and Vallejo in California are liberal which is a load of crap. They're all bright red districts and the reason they're crap holes is because they're bright red districts full of dirt poor red necks. They all seem to just sit out there doing crystal meth and bitching about how Mexicans are willing to work harder for less money but I guess that's the breaks when you dropped out of high school and have no job skills worth anything. Of course, anyone who actually has job skills immediately gets the hell out of those yokel land.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:17 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Hell, she's also claiming Stockton, Modesto, and Vallejo in California are liberal which is a load of crap. They're all bright red districts and the reason they're crap holes is because they're bright red districts full of dirt poor red necks. They all seem to just sit out there doing crystal meth and bitching about how Mexicans are willing to work harder for less money but I guess that's the breaks when you dropped out of high school and have no job skills worth anything. Of course, anyone who actually has job skills immediately gets the hell out of those yokel land.
Ahh, not sure about the others, but Stockton is Democrat run.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:19 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Many people are leaving those places.

Living and vacationing are completely different

Also, not everyone can just pack up and leave.

Many people working in the cities earn big money. Its worth staying. Come retirement though, its a different story.
In New York the population is increasing .... 2000 over 1990, 2010 over 2000, and 2011 over 2010.

It is very expensive to live in New York, my favorite uncle lives there (in Southbridge Towers on Gold Street in Lower Manhattan just across from Pace University), and I know. He is retired, so earning big money has nothing to do with it. Millionaires and Billionaires choose to live in NYC when they could live anywhere ... or don't you know that?

Not everyone could pick up and leave? Why not? Is the law stopping them? You stated people are leaving those places. Why do you contradict yourself?

If the place was miserable why would tourists pay expensive hotel - restaurant - transportation prices to spend their vacations there? It's fabulous for tourists but miserable for residents? Doesn't make sense to me!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Who would want to live in Stillwater?
Whoever want to be a homebody with no sense of adventure.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
In New York the population is increasing .... 2000 over 1990, 2010 over 2000, and 2011 over 2010.

It is very expensive to live in New York, my favorite uncle lives there (in Southbridge Towers on Gold Street in Lower Manhattan just across from Pace University), and I know. He is retired, so earning big money has nothing to do with it. Millionaires and Billionaires choose to live in NYC when they could live anywhere ... or don't you know that?

Not everyone could pick up and leave? Why not? Is the law stopping them? You stated people are leaving those places. Why do you contradict yourself?

If the place was miserable why would tourists pay expensive hotel - restaurant - transportation prices to spend their vacations there? It's fabulous for tourists but miserable for residents? Doesn't make sense to me!
Forbes concern about NYC was it's taxes and commuting time. Tourists don't have to deal with those two things. Obviously NYC is one of the greatest cities in the world in terms of what it has to offer. That's not a criteria Forbes considered.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Forbes concern about NYC was it's taxes and commuting time. Tourists don't have to deal with those two things. Obviously NYC is one of the greatest cities in the world in terms of what it has to offer. That's not a criteria Forbes considered.
Okay. Thanks for the explanation.

My criteria for being considered a miserable place would include things like weather (that is why I would be miserable in Fargo, ND); lack of cultural activities such as museums, symphony, outdoor festivals, foreign/indie films, etc.; professional sports; a plethora of interesting and ethnic restaurants; nightlife; and so on.

As beautiful as the scenery is or friendly the people are, I know I personally would be miserable in Fairbanks, AK. No offense to Fairbanks ... that is just according to my criteria.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:54 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Okay. Thanks for the explanation.

My criteria for being considered a miserable place would include things like weather (that is why I would be miserable in Fargo, ND); lack of cultural activities such as museums, symphony, outdoor festivals, foreign/indie films, etc.; professional sports; a plethora of interesting and ethnic restaurants; nightlife; and so on.

As beautiful as the scenery is or friendly the people are, I know I personally would be miserable in Fairbanks, AK. No offense to Fairbanks ... that is just according to my criteria.
I hear ya. There's a reason why Forbes is a magazine and not an academic journal. They can write up things that people will like to read and throw out some figures here and there. But their method of coming up with 10 most miserable cities is merit-less.

To get a realistic list, you would have to survey a population sample from each city in the United States consisting of a demographic makeup of each respective city. Clearly, Forbes didn't do that. There's two primary reasons why this list is completely meaningless. First, it uses different criteria for each city, yet weighs them equally across other cities. Second, it assumes the priorities of the general population... something which it has not supported and would also take a huge research effort across a population sample with an identical demographic makeup of the United States.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Hahaha.
You don't seem to get it, Jean. FORBES is a die hard right winger and his magazine is mostly fluff opinion pieces not news. That's why it is so worthless. There is nothing behind this except Steve Forbes' personal opinion which is always skewed due to his personal hatreds and biases. It's a political magazine, Jean. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies