Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Tried to rep you but I have to spread more reps around first.
Repping someone for calling the laws fake? Okay, if you say so!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Call it whatever you like. It's just something you call marriage and some other people have decided to call it that, too. Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless one of you is a man and the other is a woman, it's not really a marriage.
Do you understand the word LEGAL? In many (12?) states it is now LEGAL marriage for a same-sex couple, so you're the only one making up your own definitions here. And with all the divorces among the straight community, I'd think you would applaud their 24-year relationship - but your hatred and confusion runs so deep, you can't even be happy for their love & commitment. How sad.

Btw, you never answered my questions earlier in the thread, so I'll ask again! If your reasons for calling gay relationships/marriages "fake" aren't related to sex or genitalia, what about them is less real to you than a straight relationship? You haven't given me an answer to that yet, thus I can only assume (if you ignore the question again) you don't have an answer.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,497,397 times
Quote:
Call it whatever you like. It's just something you call marriage and some other people have decided to call it that, too. Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless one of you is a man and the other is a woman, it's not really a marriage.
You do not determine what anyone can call their marriages. You only have the rights over your own marriage, that is all. My marriage was a marriage long before we got married, we were together 29 years before we got the right in California, all of my family and his accepted and treated us as a legitimate couple long before marriage was legal for us. You are not law and soon law will represent all US citizens equally when it comes to marriage. You will be on the wrong side of history as was those against interracial marriage. Just so you know, same sex marriage was commong among the native Americans before Europeans came here. Freedom and Equality are for all US citizens, not just heterosexuals or christians.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,745,406 times
It doesn't scare me, but it is totally gross.

Whenever there's two guys together holding hands, knowing what it leads to in the matter of a sexual relationship, that is totally gross.

ICK.

best,
toodie

Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,073,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The point I tried to make earlier which was vastly misconstrued, was that among the two sides of this thing, only the one opposing gay marriage rights is inflicting itself upon others. People who want gays to be able to get married are doing no harm at all to traditional marriage. Letting the "riffraff" into your elite little club isn't going to lower your property values here. What gay people are doing will remain none of your business. I completely fail to see how it affects anything in the life of an anti-gay individual. No gay man will come and abduct you and force you to marry him. You will not receive compulsory invitations to fabulous gay weddings. The only thing at issue here is that you, anti-gay person, want to impose your ideas of right and wrong on others, against their will.

And addressing THAT for a moment...why are you the morality police again, and how is it you have the time to police other people's lives who aren't hurting anybody else? How are they hurting anybody else, if you think that they are? Do you really think there will ever be a day when you force everyone in your town/city/state/country/world to agree with you in every detail, because you are JUST SO RIGHT? And assuming hypothetically that your traditional, conservative, Christian viewpoint is some ultimate truth like the sky being blue, and homosexuality is a perversion and a sin, why don't you trust your God to deal with it? I'm pretty sure that it's not your job to enforce the ideals of your religion on others in this country. If you want to fight a holy war, move to the Middle East, I hear they're very popular over there. Last time I checked, America was supposed to be about freedom. And if that is the case, we do have to accept that others won't necessarily agree. The line needs to be drawn at infringement upon the rights of others, not offense to your viewpoints.

Now along those lines, I support freedom...so yes, gay people should be free to marry. And business owners should be free to discriminate, and deny gay people services. And they need to understand that in this day and age, that is going to mean a backlash...not only will they lose the business of a gay customer, but they will lose the business of every pro-gay person that customer tells, in person and on the internet. Have fun with that. There's freedom for you.
Boy if that doesn't take the cake. One side is trying to disrupt the historical and societal-beneficial definiton of marriage - another side apposes such a perversion, and the side who opposes the perversion of a bedrock institution is the one inflicting itself on the other?? You aren't serious. Either you are joiking, or you aren't a serious poster

You further the lie by saying homosexuals can't marry, which a compete and utter lie. Homosexual and hetrosexual alike can marry and can't marry under the same exact set of conditions. Absolutlel;y no discrimination whatsoever. A homosexual man and a homosexual woman can marry with absoutlely no issues whatsoever.

I suggest you start incorporating a little honesty in your posts.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
You do not determine what anyone can call their marriages. You only have the rights over your own marriage, that is all. My marriage was a marriage long before we got married, we were together 29 years before we got the right in California, all of my family and his accepted and treated us as a legitimate couple long before marriage was legal for us. You are not law and soon law will represent all US citizens equally when it comes to marriage. You will be on the wrong side of history as was those against interracial marriage. Just so you know, same sex marriage was commong among the native Americans before Europeans came here. Freedom and Equality are for all US citizens, not just heterosexuals or christians.
You really are a dragonslayer !

Old 03-09-2013, 06:59 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,865,702 times
Quote:
Marriage is a man-made legal contract. The definition is what the law/society defines it to be. We, the people of the United State of America, have the power to redefine marriage to include ALL people.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:12 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I was a 21-year-old college senior when the first stirrings of the gay-rights movement appeared in 1971. I didn't have a problem with what went on between consrnting adults then, and I don't now.

But when the first cases involving the legal status of same-sex unions arose (in Massachusetts, IIRC) nearly thirty years later, I could not help but notice that while both Local and national news media gave it very little attention, National Public Broadacsting immediately gve the story top billing, and continued to follow it with much greater interest than its competitors. That tells me that the effort to push the issue of same-sex unions to the front burner was both painstakingly planned and well-coordinated.

And again, while I have no problem whatsoever with how people define their personal and conjugal lives, it must be recognized that the instituion of traditional, heterosexual marriage was recognized and suported within the legal structure because it is expected to produce the single most important component of an established, self-perpetuating society --children. With some exceptions here and there, the advocates for same-sex-civil unions have litle concern for this point.

Regardless of our personal economic values, most of us recognize that for the vast majority, daily life is sustained, paycheck to paycheck, by a slender thread, and relatively few will progress from entry-level to a secure retirement without a few bumps in the road. The recognition of same-sex unions adds considerable stress to that social "safety net", and a large proportion of the expected beneficiairies are viewed by many of us as having skirted the self-deprivation and hard choices which often accompany family responsibilities in early adulthood.

As with the AIDS crisis, the embrace of the same-sex unions issue by some of the most outspoken and militiant segments of the LGBT community, and the behaviors by which they sometimes demonize, harrass, and display their deep contempt for those who espouse traditional values -- in short, their cry for a place much closer to the head of a long line -- is what has caused a great deal of the backlash they mistakenly characterize as simple bigotry.
Sadly for you, your whole argument is based on false information.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Marriage is a man-made legal contract. The definition is what the law/society defines it to be. We, the people of the United State of America, have the power to redefine marriage to include ALL people.
That's a noble sentiment, but false. When the courts say a definition of marriage is illegal, that's it, 'the people' are overruled. In fact, many ssm advocates don't want the definition to be in 'society's' hands because 'the people' in most states will reject ssm.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,716,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Do you understand the word LEGAL? In many (12?) states it is now LEGAL marriage for a same-sex couple, so you're the only one making up your own definitions here. And with all the divorces among the straight community, I'd think you would applaud their 24-year relationship - but your hatred and confusion runs so deep, you can't even be happy for their love & commitment. How sad.

Btw, you never answered my questions earlier in the thread, so I'll ask again! If your reasons for calling gay relationships/marriages "fake" aren't related to sex or genitalia, what about them is less real to you than a straight relationship? You haven't given me an answer to that yet, thus I can only assume (if you ignore the question again) you don't have an answer.
As I have explained, that marriage can only exist between a man and a woman is a self evident and absolute truth. You deal in man made definitions and relativism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies