Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM

596 posts, read 983,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Society has moral standards and these standards should be reflected in societys laws. Gods law is also reflected in societys laws as well. Homosexuality is not accepted by a majority of the people of most states in this nation. Because of this gay marriage is not allowed in most of the US. Those who demand gay marriage should move to a state that allows it. I support a states right to choose to allow this themselves but no special interest group and no court should have the right to infringe upon a states right to make its own laws. If the supereme court decides to force homosexual marriage on the states I believe states should "nullify" thier action. This will cause a constitutional crises for sure, but states should assert thier right to make laws themselves as the 10th amendment gaurantees. If the federal goverment uses its might to attempt to force the states to follow their directives then there is always the option of secession. I also feel exactly the same about gun controll. Ive had it with overbearing federal goverment, and Ive had it with the liberal progressive movement. Its time for the states to stand up and say to the feds "we will take no more". Our values down here will not allow us to choose gay marriage for our state, and the feds have NO RIGHT to force it on us. Where is ole Jeff Davis and Robert E Lee when you need em?

Paranoid, ultra-conservative, religious extremists from the Deep South are the best!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
Paranoid, ultra-conservative, religious extremists from the Deep South are the best!
^^This^^

Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Society has moral standards and these standards should be reflected in societys laws. Gods law is also reflected in societys laws as well. Homosexuality is not accepted by a majority of the people of most states in this nation. Because of this gay marriage is not allowed in most of the US. Those who demand gay marriage should move to a state that allows it. I support a states right to choose to allow this themselves but no special interest group and no court should have the right to infringe upon a states right to make its own laws. If the supereme court decides to force homosexual marriage on the states I believe states should "nullify" thier action. This will cause a constitutional crises for sure, but states should assert thier right to make laws themselves as the 10th amendment gaurantees. If the federal goverment uses its might to attempt to force the states to follow their directives then there is always the option of secession. I also feel exactly the same about gun controll. Ive had it with overbearing federal goverment, and Ive had it with the liberal progressive movement. Its time for the states to stand up and say to the feds "we will take no more". Our values down here will not allow us to choose gay marriage for our state, and the feds have NO RIGHT to force it on us. Where is ole Jeff Davis and Robert E Lee when you need em?
Actually, the majority of Americans now do support same-sex marriage... that's why you're now seeing popular votes legalizing it, and that will only continue as time goes on. So I'm sorry to break the news, but you are officially in the MINORITY with your opposition today.

Oh yeah, and religion has no place in our laws - whether it "subconsciously" affects things or not.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,461,062 times
I don't think people are scared of gay marriage they are just uncomfortable with it. Most Americans are raised around the idea of marriage being between a man a women. Just because they are not 100% supportive of it doesn't mean you can go and bash them!!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,553,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
In my home island, Puerto Rico, homophobia is rampant, but the United States does not fall behind that much.

The arguments from people who do not want gay marriage to happen are basically related to religion. Here, I believe, state and religion are separate entities, and the constitution's current definition of marriage as a reason to oppose gay marriage is overwhelmingly vague, since it can be amended, it is not static.

Now there is something that worries me about people's "violent" opposition to gay marriage. Some people react as of this was a murder of an innocent person. Some people dare to compare homosexuality to some paraphilias, like pedophilia and zoophilia. I have even read people that say gays should die! Just what the heck is going on with some people? What is all this fear about? If you are not gay, then you are not gay. It's just as simple as that. While seeing two men or two women kissing could result weird today because it is not the norm to see it everyday (well at least in many parts of the world, maybe SF and Europe are exceptions), why would that bother you?

I am not gay and I support full rights for the LBGT community. I am sure of what I am. Are you?
It's no one's business. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they want you. And when people reduce it to being all about sex, well now, who's the pervert?

At the same time, I don't run around boasting about the fact that I'm heterosexual. I'm not "proud" to be hetero, it just is......like being a woman, being Hispanic, having brown hair. I was born with it. I don't have to make a point of it. I get that they want equal rights and they should have it. They've had it really rough. But "gay pride" is a bit much, in my opinion. If it just IS, then just BE. You don't have to force what already is. Be who you are, love who you love, live your life and be responsible and respectful about it, as we all should.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It's no one's business. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they want you. And when people reduce it to being all about sex, well now, who's the pervert?

At the same time, I don't run around boasting about the fact that I'm heterosexual. I'm not "proud" to be hetero, it just is......like being a woman, being Hispanic, having brown hair. I was born with it. I don't have to make a point of it. I get that they want equal rights and they should have it. They've had it really rough. But "gay pride" is a bit much, in my opinion. If it just IS, then just BE. You don't have to force what already is. Be who you are, love who you love, live your life and be responsible and respectful about it, as we all should.
Most gay people don't run around "boasting about it" either - but the Pride Movement is a specific response to a specific rights issue, just as the Black Power etc movements were a direct response to institutional racism/segregation. As a member of a minority myself, I completely understand that mentality! The second somebody challenges my freedoms or self-worth as a Jewish American, I feel that sense of "I'm Jewish and PROUD; don't like it, tough cookies!!" boiling up inside of me. If you have never experienced discrimination on that level, you probably won't understand how that feels.

Regardless, the majority of gay folks are just living their lives like everyone else. If one only has the media on which to base their opinions of the gay community, they really need to get out and mingle with them a bit more... because I swear, they don't all (not even most) run around waving rainbow flags & singing Lady Gaga songs. Some, but not all.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
I don't think people are scared of gay marriage they are just uncomfortable with it. Most Americans are raised around the idea of marriage being between a man a women. Just because they are not 100% supportive of it doesn't mean you can go and bash them!!
You either support gay marriage or you don't - really no gray areas there, at least not when it comes to voting time. And I don't care how anyone feels either way, since we all have the right to an opinion... but if you tell me "I'm voting against gay marriage," yes I will judge you to some degree. That's just MY opinion, and like anyone else, I have the right to use it too.

P.S. Even if you were raised around a "man + woman = marriage" mentality, humans are supposed to learn and evolve in their lifetimes. Once you study the implications and impact of marriage equality, then and only then can you make an informed decision (in either direction). To claim ignorance based on how you were raised is just that; ignorance.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM

797 posts, read 1,345,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post

gizmo980 gets offended if she deems some posts don't measure up to the " high standards" of the great debate forum.

Strange she remains silent about this one.

Could it be that her " high standards" don't apply if it comes from someone who supports gay marriage ?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
gizmo980 gets offended if she deems some posts don't measure up to the " high standards" of the great debate forum.

Strange she remains silent about this one.

Could it be that her " high standards" don't apply if it comes from someone who supports gay marriage ?
How do you know I didn't report that one too? Not to mention, I hardly have time to read & reply to every post here.

But unlike you, that poster isn't continuously violating the forum rules - they also were contributing something, at least more than "I agree!" They offered an opinion, whether you find it offensive or not. And yes, I do get annoyed (not offended) with people who don't post up to this forum's standards. You know why? Because I specifically came here looking for a higher level of debate, and was disappointed to find the same nonsense we see on P&OC. That is all.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-05-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Jesus would love the sinner , but hate the sin.
That's not the question. The question is: Would Jesus deny the "sinners" their equal rights under the law?

And speaking of Jesus, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender folks are treated pretty well in the Holy Land today. Israel has laws protecting the LGBT community and expects its gay citizens to serve in the military as everyone else is required to. The question of marriage is moot because the country does not sanction civil marriage for gays or straights. Gay marriages from other countries are recognized and respected, though, just as straight marriages are. It's also interesting to note that the government of Israel is currently spending a ton money marketing Tel Aviv as one of the most gay-friendly cities in the world. The effort is working — gay tourism is booming on Israel's beaches and the country is enjoying an influx of cash. (Some would say they are using it to deny human rights to Palestinians, but clearly that's a discussion for another thread. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies