Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Many Christians do. Fundamentalist extremists do not speak for all. In fact, Christ himself had a problem with just two types of people...religious zealots and hypocrites.
Where is the connection between this topic and "Christians"? - people are always picking on the Christians and saying they are the only ones who don't like the idea of same sex marriage...I would assume that this is not even a religious question of "right or wrong". If there was no religion...and no God what so ever...and the world was run on natural law and not the laws of man- Most people NATURALLY ...would have issue with same sex sex period. I wonder how a tribe of ancients would react if they witnessed OG and MAWG - two male cave men going off hand in had to set up house keeping? I doubt very much if the rest of the tribe would find it a normal thing. We in the modern world have been raised and conditioned in a very artificial social environment..we are conditioned to except everything as normal.

The whole idea of right and wrong or good and evil is slowly being removed from society...Even the UN had a discussion that teaching concepts of right and wrong to children should be avoided. So...what does this get down too? Am I to say that if I had a choice to state if gay marriages was "evil" - would I be persecuted for my perception of what appears evil - Or would I be persecuted for even suggesting that evil exist?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 PM

797 posts, read 1,343,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Where is the connection between this topic and "Christians"? - people are always picking on the Christians and saying they are the only ones who don't like the idea of same sex marriage...I would assume that this is not even a religious question of "right or wrong". If there was no religion...and no God what so ever...and the world was run on natural law and not the laws of man- Most people NATURALLY ...would have issue with same sex sex period. I wonder how a tribe of ancients would react if they witnessed OG and MAWG - two male cave men going off hand in had to set up house keeping? I doubt very much if the rest of the tribe would find it a normal thing. We in the modern world have been raised and conditioned in a very artificial social environment..we are conditioned to except everything as normal.

The whole idea of right and wrong or good and evil is slowly being removed from society...Even the UN had a discussion that teaching concepts of right and wrong to children should be avoided. So...what does this get down too? Am I to say that if I had a choice to state if gay marriages was "evil" - would I be persecuted for my perception of what appears evil - Or would I be persecuted for even suggesting that evil exist?

Well stated !

Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
Quote:
Where is the connection between this topic and "Christians"? - people are always picking on the Christians....

You poor thing. Go back to the post I responded to before you crawl up on your cross and act like a martyr.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
why ?

Are Christians supposed to support gay marriage ?
Many Christians do. Fundamentalist extremists do not speak for all. In fact, Christ himself had a problem with just two types of people...religious zealots and hypocrites.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
Quote:
Well stated !
The return of Mr. "Holier than thou"

Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Most;IMO;are not scared but on principal see marriage has being between a man and women.It often comes down to core beliefs i what a marriage is.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
You poor thing. Go back to the post I responded to before you crawl up on your cross and act like a martyr.
You seem to be making my point for me..my idea was - It just seems a little top heavy when people assume that only religious people don't like the idea. Also _ I don't identify with mainstream Christians. I as a human being have a right to say I DON'T LIKE THAT. Sure I can bring out my inner compassion and tolerance and be passive and NOT go into a state of black and white and say---It's okay- I can live with that...it does not effect me so why do I care...that would be the gentle liberal stance.

BUT - if I go into the core of my being and ask myself...personally and in total self honesty...I have the right to say...I find that unpleasant..I don't like it and if I was in power - I would allow all unions and partnerships under the law to have full rights and benefits and respect- but not in a million years would I label a partnership between the same sexes as MARRIAGE. Because...logically it makes no sense. I am not going to toss away my sense of logic and abandon reality and play the politically correct game...the other thing...Those afraid of being persecuted for not agreeing with same sex marriage should not worry.

No matter what the media and some special interests groups who lobby for all sorts of gay rights might say..the percentage of gay people as compared to the norm is not as significant as portrayed in the so-called statistics..These folk are one tenth of one percent - if that...They really have no majority power in a democracy. The whole idea is anti-democratic..that say....1000 people can force their will and beliefs on one million people. The gay activists should be satisfied that they are protected under the law- it seems they are not happy with equal protection or equality...They seem to desire authorship over societies future..they imagine that they can dominate and dictate to society...sorry- there are just not enough of you.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 PM

5 posts, read 23,730 times
In reading the entire 35 pages of this thread thus far I have been able to observe one strong commonality. That is that everyone who is posting in opposition to equal marriage rights hat yet to post one shred of logical evidence why gay marriage should be allowed. They have purely spouted their religious and personal beliefs and have no given one good reason LEGALLY why there shouldn't be equal rights in marriage for hetero and homo sexuals.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Being gay isn't even normal in farm animals.

Gays farm animals are so few and far between that the few that are get a one way ticket to the packing plant when discovered.
Why are you all so obsessed with what's "normal," and how does that pertain to gay marriage? It isn't normal to have red hair (as I do), but we still have equal rights. It's not normal to be left-handed, but they still have equal rights. It's not normal to be married & divorced four times, but I personally know somebody who's done that legally. And so on and so forth. To be "abnormal" only means it is something that deviates from the majority, and the last time I checked other minorities aren't denied rights based on their percentages. So what's your point?

P.S. Have you read the book "And Tango Makes Two?" It's a cute story, and a true one too.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
[quote=Nurse Bishop;28402726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
It is neither religion or the state, it is BIOLOGY I am talking about. Children are naturally born to a male and a female who concieve them by having heterosexual sex.
And they were doing that thousands of years before the idea of marriage was ever dreamt up (or the Bible and its god for that matter).

Marriage isn't a requirement to have children. And having children isn't a requirement to be married.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
You seem to be making my point for me..my idea was - It just seems a little top heavy when people assume that only religious people don't like the idea. Also _ I don't identify with mainstream Christians. I as a human being have a right to say I DON'T LIKE THAT. Sure I can bring out my inner compassion and tolerance and be passive and NOT go into a state of black and white and say---It's okay- I can live with that...it does not effect me so why do I care...that would be the gentle liberal stance.

BUT - if I go into the core of my being and ask myself...personally and in total self honesty...I have the right to say...I find that unpleasant..I don't like it and if I was in power - I would allow all unions and partnerships under the law to have full rights and benefits and respect- but not in a million years would I label a partnership between the same sexes as MARRIAGE. Because...logically it makes no sense. I am not going to toss away my sense of logic and abandon reality and play the politically correct game...the other thing...Those afraid of being persecuted for not agreeing with same sex marriage should not worry.

No matter what the media and some special interests groups who lobby for all sorts of gay rights might say..the percentage of gay people as compared to the norm is not as significant as portrayed in the so-called statistics..These folk are one tenth of one percent - if that...They really have no majority power in a democracy. The whole idea is anti-democratic..that say....1000 people can force their will and beliefs on one million people. The gay activists should be satisfied that they are protected under the law- it seems they are not happy with equal protection or equality...They seem to desire authorship over societies future..they imagine that they can dominate and dictate to society...sorry- there are just not enough of you.
First of all, we are not a "majority rules" society. ALL citizens have equal rights (or are supposed to), and ALL citizens are entitled to be heard. My people, the Jews, make up a smaller percentage of the nation than homosexuals - but we still have full equality, and if our rights were being suppressed, you can bet we'd be loud and proud in demanding those rights. To suppress the minority, simply for being a minority, is both un-American and un-Consitutional.

And yes, of course you have the right to be "icked out" by whatever you want... but does your right to be comfortable trump the rights of an entire demographic to be treated equally? Nope. I'm sure many people still find interracial marriage "icky" or wrong, but the courts decided long ago that doesn't matter. I bet many also find relationships between really old people a bit uncomfortable, but again, does that mean we should suppress them? Sorry, but sometimes you just have to suck it up & accept that not every legal situation will be okay with you. As long as they're not hurting anyone in the process, however, your widdle feelings are not reason enough to deny them equality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies