Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 AM

797 posts, read 1,343,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First of all, we are not a "majority rules" society. ALL citizens have equal rights (or are supposed to), and ALL citizens are entitled to be heard. My people, the Jews, make up a smaller percentage of the nation than homosexuals - but we still have full equality, and if our rights were being suppressed, you can bet we'd be loud and proud in demanding those rights. To suppress the minority, simply for being a minority, is both un-American and un-Consitutional.

And yes, of course you have the right to be "icked out" by whatever you want... but does your right to be comfortable trump the rights of an entire demographic to be treated equally? Nope. I'm sure many people still find interracial marriage "icky" or wrong, but the courts decided long ago that doesn't matter. I bet many also find relationships between really old people a bit uncomfortable, but again, does that mean we should suppress them? Sorry, but sometimes you just have to suck it up & accept that not every legal situation will be okay with you. As long as they're not hurting anyone in the process, however, your widdle feelings are not reason enough to deny them equality.

According to your post, the only ones who can legally declare it is a right would be the United States Supreme Court.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times
Saw this from George Takei on FB.

The Ultimate Anti-Gay Marriage Ad - YouTube

Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Saw this from George Takei on FB.

The Ultimate Anti-Gay Marriage Ad - YouTube

Thanks for posting that.

I think that mom and dad are posters here on City Data (I have one in mind, in particular, who could be the wife ).

Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Back in that crazy spring of 1968, when some nameless Paris street demonstrator proclaimed "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way! ", I was first drawn to the values of Libertarian pholosophy such as evidenced in the writings of thinkers like Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman, Robert Heinlein, Alan Greenspan, Karl Hess and Murray Rothbard. It was people such as these who convinced me that political and economic freedom are unitary and inseparable -- that you cannot tamper with one witout eventually damaging the other.

But unfortunately for all of us, and as evidenced by the post below:

too many of those in the LGBT community have opted for the soft, contradictory and Fascistic "thinking" passed off under the title of Political Correctness.

"We'll just lump all of our individual special wants under one agenda, convince the majority of men and women in the street that a handful of rich people -- somewhwere -- have hoarded all the wherewithall necesary to pay for them, and report anyone who dissents to Big Brother/Sister."

That, in a handful of words, is how rule by the responsible degenerates into rule by the mob, why I view Political Correctness as (currently) the biggest single threat to the parliamentary pluralism which remains fully-tested in only a handful of nations, and why, while I respect everyone's right to freedom of sexual expression, I cannot muster any enthusiasm for a movement driven mostly by the desire for access to the nation/state's legal monopoly on the power to coerce.

And power -- a very addictive drug -- has filled more graves in the last century than at any time in history.
Typical sick, twisted, perverted right wing "logic". Gays have been tortured, vilified, lobotomized and "filled graves" by heteros with great enthusiasm in the last century. Talk about degenerates. But when oppressed people dare to demand an end to oppression there's all kinds of howling and hooting by the hetero power structure about "agendas" and "fascists" and "nazis". That's sort of like the big fat bully finally getting his face punched by one of his victims and whining about being oppressed.

Here's an idea Mr. Faux Libertarian - let's do away with the sex and morality police. A true Libertarian would say, "let adults marry who they want to (personally I would draw the line at animals and inanimate objects but hey, maybe I need to evolve more on the subject).

Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 PM

30,323 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
According to your post, the only ones who can legally declare it is a right would be the United States Supreme Court.
When it comes to civil rights, yeah pretty much! The people should never be able to vote on the rights of a minority, and if they were, we'd probably still have Jim Crow laws today.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likkamatocuhe View Post
A false assumption from the get-go, OP, as many of us could not really care less about it.
Many of us, yes (I'm a straight person who couldn't care less - actually I do care, but only that they're granted the right to marry). That's why the OP said SOME as opposed to ALL, and unfortunately the "some" are still prevalent and loud in their opposition. Thankfully they are becoming the minority, though, which is why states are gradually granting these rights to the gay community.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
You are wrong. Go back and read my posts and you will see that I never made any such argument.

Your point most certainly did not go over my head. Apparently, I need to make it more clear when I am being sarcastic.
So, can you answer my questions? Guess not, which is why you were only able to respond with "sarcasm."

Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownBurbs View Post
In reading the entire 35 pages of this thread thus far I have been able to observe one strong commonality. That is that everyone who is posting in opposition to equal marriage rights hat yet to post one shred of logical evidence why gay marriage should be allowed. They have purely spouted their religious and personal beliefs and have no given one good reason LEGALLY why there shouldn't be equal rights in marriage for hetero and homo sexuals.

Society has moral standards and these standards should be reflected in societys laws. Gods law is also reflected in societys laws as well. Homosexuality is not accepted by a majority of the people of most states in this nation. Because of this gay marriage is not allowed in most of the US. Those who demand gay marriage should move to a state that allows it. I support a states right to choose to allow this themselves but no special interest group and no court should have the right to infringe upon a states right to make its own laws. If the supereme court decides to force homosexual marriage on the states I believe states should "nullify" thier action. This will cause a constitutional crises for sure, but states should assert thier right to make laws themselves as the 10th amendment gaurantees. If the federal goverment uses its might to attempt to force the states to follow their directives then there is always the option of secession. I also feel exactly the same about gun controll. Ive had it with overbearing federal goverment, and Ive had it with the liberal progressive movement. Its time for the states to stand up and say to the feds "we will take no more". Our values down here will not allow us to choose gay marriage for our state, and the feds have NO RIGHT to force it on us. Where is ole Jeff Davis and Robert E Lee when you need em?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
. Where is ole Jeff Davis and Robert E Lee when you need em?
Frankly I'd rather have Fransico Franco before Davis and Lee. They are absolute proof that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM

31,013 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Typical sick, twisted, perverted right wing "logic". Gays have been tortured, vilified, lobotomized and "filled graves" by heteros with great enthusiasm in the last century. Talk about degenerates. But when oppressed people dare to demand an end to oppression there's all kinds of howling and hooting by the hetero power structure about "agendas" and "fascists" and "nazis". That's sort of like the big fat bully finally getting his face punched by one of his victims and whining about being oppressed.

Here's an idea Mr. Faux Libertarian - let's do away with the sex and morality police. A true Libertarian would say, "let adults marry who they want to (personally I would draw the line at animals and inanimate objects but hey, maybe I need to evolve more on the subject).
"A true Libertarian would say, "let adults marry who they want to (personally I would draw the line at animals and inanimate objects but hey,"

Absolutely! Any adult(s) should be allowed to marry any other consenting adult(s) regardless of what they do behind closed doors (Not my business). I'm pretty apathetic to most things GLBT but as adult citizens they should be allowed to have the same rights as the rest of us regardless of how we view what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies