Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 04:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

You can get divorced legally right now, and go to a church and have your sacrament of marriage. No one is stopping you.

I can go to a church and marry my partner right now too, but I don't have the option of the federal and state benefits and protections that you have.

So you go first. give up your state and federally recognized marriage, and get the rest of the married people to join you. Until then I will keep fighting to be treated equally under the laws of this country.

No reply Pull?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:31 PM

571 posts, read 790,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Next, we'll have room mates getting married (for the tax benefits).
I have female roommate.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Next, we'll have room mates getting "married" for the tax benefits. Not for love (nobody asks the couple whether there's love involved).
Hetero couples already do get sham marriages.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:33 PM

571 posts, read 790,963 times
Quote:
Not for love (nobody asks the couple whether there's love involved).
They actually do if fraud is suspected, for example, when an illegal attempts to marry a citizen for reasons other than "love".

Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Because it is cheapening the sacrament. And it's offensive for a Catholic like myself.

I am for gay rights, have always voted that way. But leave marriage alone.

I GUARANTEE you that as soon as they get the right to marry someone will walk into a Catholic Church and demand to be married to a same sex partner and they'll have their lawyer with so they can get back on camera and shove their BS onto my TV again.
Finally, an answer! OMG! A right winger finally answers!!!!

Okay, please tell me how you feel it is being "cheapened." Let me tell you why I ask.

I'm getting married. We're setting the date for October, and we're all excited about it. In fact, we're practically jumping out of our skins, that's how excited we are. Know why we're excited? Because we're making, before the law, a promise to one another to stay together, to love one another, to help one another, to be one. We're going to do this before the law, and before family and friends. HOW GREAT IS THAT???? He's my soulmate, my heart, my love, he's just everything I wanted, not a perfect man, but he's perfect for me, and we're getting married.

NOW, who is going to take that kind of JOY away from someone that gets married? How on EARTH can YOUR marrying someone be diminished by someone else marrying? There's something somewhere I'm not quite understanding about your comment concerning how gays being allowed to marry will diminish marriage. I've explained how my bf and I feel about our upcoming marriage and how thrilled we are, and how it's a bond between 2 people, before the law, family and friends. Now, how can anything RUIN that?

In fact, to be perfectly honest, FOR ME, the fact that gays are able to get married in some states and countries, and the hope that they will soon be able to marry all over this nation, only adds IMPORTANCE to the act of marriage.

Please, explain what you feel will be taken away from straight marriage in your view, and why it would ruin it for straights.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I'm getting married. We're setting the date for October, and we're all excited about it. In fact, we're practically jumping out of our skins, that's how excited we are. Know why we're excited? Because we're making, before the law, a promise to one another to stay together, to love one another, to help one another, to be one. We're going to do this before the law, and before family and friends. HOW GREAT IS THAT???? He's my soulmate, my heart, my love, he's just everything I wanted, not a perfect man, but he's perfect for me, and we're getting married.
Congratulations and Best Wishes!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
We're discussing MARRIAGE, pure and simple. What's so difficult to understand about MARRIAGE?
Marriage is between a MAN and a WOMAN, the combining of the sexes, husband and wife, bride and groom. Period. Anything else is invalid. Not so difficult to understand is it?

Last edited by JobZombie; 03-29-2013 at 07:03 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
The hate and ignorance in this thread is truly pathetic, the only positive I can take is that this kind of bigotry towards homosexuals is slowly disappearing and the homphobes are on the wrong side of history, the same way that segregationists were. Their children look back on their hatred with shame.
I agree.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Marriage is between a MAN and a WOMAN, the combining of the sexes, husband and wife, bride and groom. Period. Anything else is invalid. Not so difficult to understand is it?

Not according to several countries, and 9 US states.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I have heard that gay marriage will lead to the legalization of polygamy. I am extremely anti-polygamy thus am anti-gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies