Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
After that statement, I totally believe you were a Democrat. One of the lies the Dems push is the fake war on women. I don't know a single Republican who wants abortions banned entirely. Another positive about a true Libertarian is that they can divine the truth, through all the BS.
The Republican platform is pro life and the Democrats is pro choice. Many politicians in both parties disagree (there are prochoice Reps and prolife Dems)but that is their platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
i see so many problems in what was said here.

being a democrat has nothing to do with believing in casual sex. I have never met a single democrat who believes in welfare or abortion for all either. And affirmative Action is something that many would argue is still needed just like the specific states and counties that can not change the way the hold elections because of the way the have behaved in the past.

seems to me that you were a fringe person who thought if you arent on the fringe then you are in the wrong party. So you became a libertarian. if you simple saw an abuse of the system, how did that turn you into a Libertarian, did you mistakenly believe all Democrats were like you ? Had you even even read your own parties policies ?

Also what makes you fiscally conservative? you mentioned it in your title, but not in the thread.
I believe in fiscal responsibility because there is too much taxpayer waste on all sides. I'm from Cook County and the party there is far more liberal than Democrats in general. While personally they may be for welfare limits and abortion limits they can't say it. Sort of like the Reps who support abortion they can't publicly say it.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
After that statement, I totally believe you were a Democrat. One of the lies the Dems push is the fake war on women. I don't know a single Republican who wants abortions banned entirely. Another positive about a true Libertarian is that they can divine the truth, through all the BS.
I know 4 of them. I also realize that you can affectingly make something illegal within your own state by regulation it. Look at North and South Dakota, Mississippi and Iowa States with only 1 or 2 abortion clinics. They have legislated away the other clinics in their states effectively making it illegal to operate the clinics(,either by not having a residency at a local hospital or some other means.

You argue that there is no war on women but there is. I understand many conservatives just dont like the use of the word war in that context, but there is a restriction of womens rights going on, and it isnt just abortion, its contraception and pre cautionary exams both having legislation on them in multiple states(Arizona, Virginia,Ohio, Mississippi and 17 others.) and one national bill on it that would allow your boss to fire you if you asked for contraception in your health insurance.

again, take the word out of it and simply label it as a restriction on things that are legal at the moment. Do you think that is not happening ?

Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Many years ago I worked for the Democrat Party of Illinois. I used to believe that liberals were right and conservatives were evil. I believed that conservatives wanted to curtail my freedom. I also was a fighter against censorship in the media and my thinking liberals were for freedom. I was abortion for all, casual sex for all, affirmative action and welfare for all. You get my point.

What made me change was many things. I lived in an area that started drastically changing from middle class professionals to people from the housing projects and others on welfare. I started seeing the abuse of the system. I also started seeing that what I believed was wrong. Also, I started working and started to see more and more of my money disappear and during this time I had a friend who was on welfare. I started seeing people really messed up by all that casual sex.

I get more annoyed by liberals than I do conservatives now.
Whatever you do, don't vote republican. Two sides of the same liberal coin. Neither party values our freedom.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Hold on here... you're implying that "R" = conservative and "D" = liberal. I disagree. Maybe they started out that way, but currently the major political parties exist only to keep those already in power firmly in power. I'm a moderate conservative, and I voted Libertarian the last election.

NO political party is responsible for creating any "criminal class". About 5 minutes after the first rule was agreed upon by some primitive human society someone decided to break that rule and became a criminal.
We had a case here where a moderate Republican ran against a conservative Republican and my one state senator is actually a pro life, pro gun right Democrat as was the previous state senator who she replaced when the other retired.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Whatever you do, don't vote republican. Two sides of the same liberal coin. Neither party values our freedom.
You are right, neither party values our freedom. Both want to censor things and outlaw others.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's food stamp GROWTH.

Yes, Obama and the Dems' horrible policies are now impacting even Republican conclaves. You voted for that. Are you happy with the results?
It's not like the alternative would have been any better, so I don't really care.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I believe in fiscal responsibility because there is too much taxpayer waste on all sides. I'm from Cook County and the party there is far more liberal than Democrats in general. While personally they may be for welfare limits and abortion limits they can't say it. Sort of like the Reps who support abortion they can't publicly say it.
There are plenty of Democrats that are fiscally responsible.

fiscal responsibility simply means you spend your money in a reasonable way that doesnt make you go broke.(what people usually call it is fiscally conservative which is wrong.)

Fiscally conservative implies the specific items your budget items go to.

as for your experience with cook county Democrats, you claim you realize all democrats arent like that yet it seems to be your reasoning for leaving the party. If you realize your mistake, then you should be a democrat, not a Libertarian.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
You are right, neither party values our freedom. Both want to censor things and outlaw others.
No they dont, And if they do in your opinion, then why are Libertarians any different ?

Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Default You got the story wrong ...

Quote:

I liken the parties to catching two children with their hands in the cookie jar:

- The conservative child knows it's wrong, but makes up an excuse of why he was stealing the cookie. The kid might even blame you for catching him.

- The liberal child not only sneaks a cookie into his pocket, but then goes after another; while making excuses of why he isn't actually stealing cookies. The kid will then explain how stealing the cookies is actually what's best for everyone.

If a person generally agrees with liberal logic, then he/she isn't a Libertarian.
You got the story wrong ...

A more accurate scenario is there are three children in school.

The first child is poor, and is corner crying because he has no lunch and he's hungry.

The liberal child is the one who goes over and offers at least a part of his sandwich.

The conservative child is the bully who steals the sandwich from the liberal child, even though he already has 2 sandwiches stolen from other kids, and then beats up the poor kid and the liberal kid to add insult to injury.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies