Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Republicans are not the majority of welfare recipients:
Republican-Heavy Counties Eat Up Most Food-Stamp Growth - Bloomberg

Seventy percent of counties with the fastest-growth in food-stamp aid during the last four years voted for the Republican presidential candidate in 2008, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data compiled by Bloomberg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
False. The reality is that we can't afford to support those people. They need to support themselves. If you can't afford to support children, don't have any.
Yeppers!

The problem with a welfare state is that the easier it becomes to be on it, the more people will choose to rely on it. It's a snowball rolling downhill, gaining traction and growing until it becomes too big to stop. When welfare began the ratio was 16-1 (those working to those on welfare/ss) and now it's almost 2-1. It won't be long before the cart has less people towning the line and more passengers.

The government needs to get out of the control business. They shouldn't be in the marriage, religious, or healthcare business. Private foundations and religious entities do a much better job of taking care of the poor, and running hospitals, orphanages and asylums. They (the government) should stick to defense and interstate commerce as dictated by the Constitution... and that's it.

Republicans need to re-think their positions of control, Democrats need to learn math. Both parties need to stop their insane spending habits. The country is bankrupt, and the political class are trying to cover up their failure to manage.

I'd say the Libertarian viewpoint is the only one that seems to care about holding on to the Republic.

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Many years ago I worked for the Democrat Party of Illinois. I used to believe that liberals were right and conservatives were evil. I believed that conservatives wanted to curtail my freedom. I also was a fighter against censorship in the media and my thinking liberals were for freedom. I was abortion for all, casual sex for all, affirmative action and welfare for all. You get my point.

What made me change was many things. I lived in an area that started drastically changing from middle class professionals to people from the housing projects and others on welfare. I started seeing the abuse of the system. I also started seeing that what I believed was wrong. Also, I started working and started to see more and more of my money disappear and during this time I had a friend who was on welfare. I started seeing people really messed up by all that casual sex.

I get more annoyed by liberals than I do conservatives now.
Yet the Tea Party shenanigans never bothered you a bit...here's a list

The Newsroom - American Taliban Speech - YouTube

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Republican-Heavy Counties Eat Up Most Food-Stamp Growth - Bloomberg

Seventy percent of counties with the fastest-growth in food-stamp aid during the last four years voted for the Republican presidential candidate in 2008, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data compiled by Bloomberg.
That's food stamp GROWTH.

Yes, Obama and the Dems' horrible policies are now impacting even Republican conclaves. You voted for that. Are you happy with the results?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The problem with a welfare state is that the easier it becomes to be on it, the more people will choose to rely on it. It's a snowball rolling downhill, gaining traction and growing until it becomes too big to stop. When welfare began the ratio was 16-1 (those working to those on welfare/ss) and now it's almost 2-1. It won't be long before the cart has less people towning the line and more passengers.

...Republicans need to re-think their positions of control, Democrats need to learn math. Both parties need to stop their insane spending habits. The country is bankrupt, and the political class are trying to cover up their failure to manage.

I'd say the Libertarian viewpoint is the only one that seems to care about holding on to the Republic
Exactly!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Yeppers!

The government needs to get out of the control business. They shouldn't be in the marriage, religious, or healthcare business. Private foundations and religious entities do a much better job of taking care of the poor, and running hospitals, orphanages and asylums. They (the government) should stick to defense and interstate commerce as dictated by the Constitution... and that's it.

Republicans need to re-think their positions of control, Democrats need to learn math. Both parties need to stop their insane spending habits. The country is bankrupt, and the political class are trying to cover up their failure to manage.

I'd say the Libertarian viewpoint is the only one that seems to care about holding on to the Republic.
Agreed.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
A Conservative is a Liberal who has been mugged.

Or had a friend/relative who was mugged.

And by "mugged" I mean any form of forcible assault. From physical (literal mugging, rape, etc.) to emotional.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
well, I'm an anarcho-capiltalist. That means I believe the best system would be to have no government anywhere and run everything on the free market.

So does that make me a leftie or rightie???

Obviously it's possible to be a Libertarian. They have offices and candidates and everything.

I would agree with this on principle. I am much the same way. However, I find many anarcho-capiltalists and libertarians to be completely inconsistent where they claim no government intervention only to see them call upon government like a ton of bricks. All acts of government are government intervention. One may claim the enforcement of a natural right only, but we have to see what that really is.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
A Conservative is a Liberal who has been mugged.

Or had a friend/relative who was mugged.

And by "mugged" I mean any form of forcible assault. From physical (literal mugging, rape, etc.) to emotional.
A libertarian is someone who realizes that conservatives help create the criminal class.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
A libertarian is someone who realizes that conservatives help create the criminal class.

BOTH parties, R and D, are complicit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies