Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
I will take Republicans/TeaPartiers seriously about financial issues when they put their actions where their mouth is and actually have a president who doesn't go on a spending binge and blow up the deficit. Until then, its all just talking points and another smokescreen to slip in yet another legitimate rape or abortion bill ..
Republican spending (though still too much) is nothing compared to the last 4 years.
More and more people are identifying with libertarians (like I do) because they take the best of both parties. The libertarians are all about personal choice and small government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Republican spending (though still too much) is nothing compared to the last 4 years.
More and more people are identifying with libertarians (like I do) because they take the best of both parties. The libertarians are all about personal choice and small government.
Please compare the % increase in the deficit for the last couple of presidents and then get back to me.

Also Libertarians are just "Trojan horse Republicans" .. best of both parties? Please. When did a libertarian ever run as a Democrat? Never.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times
I don't trust Tea Party candidates. Many politicians, like my own governor, just abuse the name.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Please compare the % increase in the deficit for the last couple of presidents and then get back to me.

Also Libertarians are just "Trojan horse Republicans" .. best of both parties? Please. When did a libertarian ever run as a Democrat? Never.
Here is a graph showing inflation adjusted debt compared to GDP. You'll notice a peak when Obama took office.

And libertarians are the best of both parties. Small government and they are pro choice/gay rights.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Here is a graph showing inflation adjusted debt compared to GDP. You'll notice a peak when Obama took office.

And libertarians are the best of both parties. Small government and they are pro choice/gay rights.
Small government is an phrase people use when they either have no idea what they are talking about or simply want to fit in . There is no set definition of it, and the way some libertarians talk, their idea of small government means National defense and that is it.

What most people really want is an efficient government.

So no, libertarians are not the best of both worlds because their policies could only exist in a fantasy land.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Small government is an phrase people use when they either have no idea what they are talking about or simply want to fit in . There is no set definition of it, and the way some libertarians talk, their idea of small government means National defense and that is it.

What most people really want is an efficient government.

So no, libertarians are not the best of both worlds because their policies could only exist in a fantasy land.
Small government does not mean only national defense, at least to me. I would be happy if the government shrunk to 2000 spending limits.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Nice try blaming Obama but nope, you won't get off that easily:

National Debt Graph by President

Explain to me why libertarians don't ever run as Democrats but sure do run as Republicans. If you want the best of both parties you would be "independent" not a "trojan-horse republican".

Old 02-25-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Nice try blaming Obama but nope, you won't get off that easily:

National Debt Graph by President

Explain to me why libertarians don't ever run as Democrats but sure do run as Republicans. If you want the best of both parties you would be "independent" not a "trojan-horse republican".
Libertarians run as libertarians.

And the link you provided shows national debt at its highest since ww2 so I don't know what you think we should gleam from that. Like I said in my previous post, bush spent too much, Obama went on to spend even more and when they talk of cutting the rate of growth in government by half of one percent (sequester) Obama acts like the sky is falling.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Libertarians run as libertarians.

And the link you provided shows national debt at its highest since ww2 so I don't know what you think we should gleam from that. Like I said in my previous post, bush spent too much, Obama went on to spend even more and when they talk of cutting the rate of growth in government by half of one percent (sequester) Obama acts like the sky is falling.
Perhaps you don't like to read, or you are just purposefully trying to be obtuse - from the analysis:

Notice how the debt accelerated during Bush's last two budget years. Obama's debt is a continuation of that trend and neither Bush nor Obama are directly responsible for that acceleration. It happened because of the recession. Bush set the all-time record by increasing the debt by $1.1 trillion in 100 days between July 30 and Nov 9, 2008—but that had little to do with his choices.
Recessions cut tax revenues—in this case, dramatically. That accounts for nearly half of the deficit. So blaming Obama for the full deficit is like blaming him for not raising the tax rate to keep tax revenues up. Most of the increased spending is automatic increases in unemployment benefits, food stamps, and social security payments for early retirement. Very little of it is from stimulus spending, and that's over.

The green line shows what would have happened to the national debt if Reagan and the Bushes had balanced their budgets as Reagan claimed he would. G.W. Bush, in all modesty, claimed he would "retire nearly $1 trillion in debt over the next four years. This will be the largest debt reduction ever achieved by any nation at any time."

Someone can forcefully put you in a cart and ram you into a grocery store so I guess your logic is that it will be your fault.

A list of "libertarians" who have run as Republicans or have switched around between the two parties:

Ron Paul
Gary Johnson
David Koch,
..and many others.

I will ask you again: why don't libertarians run in Democrat primaries?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Small government does not mean only national defense, at least to me. I would be happy if the government shrunk to 2000 spending limits.
So size of government simply means the amount/percentage spent and not the size of its work force or regulations/laws passed by it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies