Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,969,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
This is why I nearly always vote Republican. I was taught a practical lesson in this in 1992. Didn't like Bush. Really didn't like Clinton. Voted for Ross Perot. I was young and idealistic then. Perot lost. Clinton won. News said that Perot got too few votes to be viable but exit polls of Perot voters said they would have voted for Bush if Perot hadn't been running, and Perot's percentage was greater than Clinton's margin of victory. In other words, by voting for Perot I'd elected Clinton, the one I least liked. From then on I started voting for whoever had the best chance of keeping the biggest government candidate out. Because limiting the size and scope of the federal government is Job #1.

Should the Blue Dogs ever take back the Democrat Party, that could conceivably mean voting for a conservative Democrat over a progressive Republican but I don't foresee that happening anytime soon in reality.
That is what the problem is here, mirror thinking. While conservatives think that smaller government is an end to itself, liberals do not think that bigger government is the objective. Liberals want government to do things, provide for old age, provide health insurance, etc. The size of government is immaterial. So, when you say you vote for "whoever had the best chance of keeping the biggest government candidate out," what does that mean? Does that include the candidate who wants to return the government to 1910 -- with the 19th military size, corporations unrestricted in their ability to rape the environment and pollute it and with no social safety net?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom
We NEED social conservatives.
eta: for the clueless, social conservatives believe the government should stay out of matters such as sexuality, marriage, abortion, birth control, and drugs. If you believe the government should regulate these at any level, then you won't be comfortable supporting the Libertarian party.
That isn't what social conservatives believe. Social conservatives have no problem using the might of government to restrict abortion and birth control and to regulate and ban same sex marriage. Liberals are the ones that are more open to individual freedom when it comes to abortion, birth control and marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,215,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well at least you voted for your party rather than all those that claim to be libertarian but check the republican box every election.

I am Libertarian, and i have voted Libertarian since about 92. not (r) or (d) but (L).

Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,952,734 times
its all greek to me. todays politics with all its sub-catgories is mind-boggling. It like music these days. Used to be every genre had sub catagories, then the bands started having their own sub catagories, now every freaking song has a sub-catagory.

Same with politics, everybody wants to be someting different. I think im too old. I think I'm just gonna sit here on my digital porch and yell at y'all.

Get off my Damn internet you bas*tards...

Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,029,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Rand Paul has some reasonable positions, but his publicized racist views make me wary of him.
RandP is a republican. But, not quite sure what you are talking about here...

Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,003,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I am fine with all of those being legal as long as I don't have to pay. Have a same sex marriage, have an abortion or get birth control, but I don't believe tax payers should pay for it. I don't feel people should go to prison for drugs as I consider it victim less.

I definitely agree with this.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,622,537 times
Quote:
I lived in an area that started drastically changing from middle class professionals to people from the housing projects and others on welfare. I started seeing the abuse of the system. I also started seeing that what I believed was wrong. Also, I started working and started to see more and more of my money disappear and during this time I had a friend who was on welfare. I started seeing people really messed up by all that casual sex.
This is one of my problems with Liberalism; it works great on paper, but not when applied in the real world.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,304,174 times
Quote:
Many years ago I worked for the Democrat Party of Illinois. I used to believe that liberals were right and conservatives were evil. I believed that conservatives wanted to curtail my freedom. I also was a fighter against censorship in the media and my thinking liberals were for freedom. I was abortion for all, casual sex for all, affirmative action and welfare for all. You get my point.

What made me change was many things. I lived in an area that started drastically changing from middle class professionals to people from the housing projects and others on welfare. I started seeing the abuse of the system. I also started seeing that what I believed was wrong. Also, I started working and started to see more and more of my money disappear and during this time I had a friend who was on welfare. I started seeing people really messed up by all that casual sex.

I get more annoyed by liberals than I do conservatives now.
Another conservative attacking single moms and poor people.

Classic conservative thinking, I don't like those people. The Democratic party doesn't completely ignore and disregard those people.

So since I hate those people and the Democrats might help those people, I am going to the party and the ideology that I believe will hurt and punish those people.

conservatives hate.

Whenever you get conservatives to discuss this nation, it becomes very clear that their motivation is hatred of various groups of Americans.

They admit it every time.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,847,398 times
Quote:
Many years ago I worked for the Democrat Party of Illinois. I used to believe that liberals were right and conservatives were evil. I believed that conservatives wanted to curtail my freedom. I also was a fighter against censorship in the media and my thinking liberals were for freedom. I was abortion for all, casual sex for all, affirmative action and welfare for all. You get my point.

What made me change was many things. I lived in an area that started drastically changing from middle class professionals to people from the housing projects and others on welfare. I started seeing the abuse of the system. I also started seeing that what I believed was wrong. Also, I started working and started to see more and more of my money disappear and during this time I had a friend who was on welfare. I started seeing people really messed up by all that casual sex.

Why do you like republicans more?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,789,434 times
Quote:

And what makes you think it's in fact "liberals" who only abuse the system? 70% of food stamp claims are in heavily republican counties. The people most often associated with living on welfare and abusing the system are not what I'd call liberal. Head to the South and watch all the obese bible thumpers buying $600 worth of junk food at Walmart with their government paid for credit card.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:36 AM

89,100 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
I am fine with all of those being legal as long as I don't have to pay. Have a same sex marriage, have an abortion or get birth control, but I don't believe tax payers should pay for it. I don't feel people should go to prison for drugs as I consider it victim less.
100% agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies