Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,432,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
So that's why you build ghettos. That's why you build dirt cheap housing and stuff the poor in cramped conditions. So that the poor can pay their fair share.
Are you really that sick or are you being sarcastic?

A poor person's fair share of income taxes is $0.00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the EXACT ''''loopholes'''' that you say the rich use

mortgage interest credit
property tax credit
tuition credit
retirement fund credit
energy credit
medical expense credit
job expense credit
child care credit

btw nearly everyone of those credits the rich cant take..as they sunset at 200k

plus the poor parents get the earned income credit

No, that is not what I asked and I'm sure you know that.

You said
"why is tax law and the same tax BREAKS/DEFERMENTS/EXEMPTIONS that the poor love and use, called a loophole when the rich use them"

and I asked
What tax BREAKS/DEFERMENTS/EXEMPTIONS are you talking about?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

mortgage interest credit
property tax credit
tuition credit
retirement fund credit
energy credit
medical expense credit
job expense credit
child care credit

They can't take them at all or they can only take them up to 200k? Big difference there

Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Are you really that sick or are you being sarcastic?

A poor person's fair share of income taxes is $0.00
Get one thing straight,

POOR PEOPLE VOTE!

and

THERE ARE MORE POOR PEOPLE THAN WEALTHY PEOPLE!

1 man, 1 vote.

The poor people are MORE responsible for the wasteful government spending than the small group of rich people!

The poor people have a BIGGER influence on the government than ANYONE ELSE!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Where did you or do you plan to send your kid? When you buy a house do you look at the school quality?
If I was concerned about the quality of public schools, I wouldn't live in Nevada.

Want to know how to get ahead? Ask this kid - he's clearly got more drive in his pinky finger than you do in your entire body.

Indiana Teen Hikes 10 Miles Through Ice Storm For Minimum-Wage Job - Careers Articles

Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Your first and last questions are worthy of discussion. Those in the middle are just completely unrelated to reality. "Loopholes for the rich are NEVER called "gaming the system" when a poor person "does it" poor people generally don’t even come close to paying taxes. In fact, they receive more back from their return than they pay in thru the years. You have made a false accusation.
No one ever suggests illegal behavior is "good" when rich people do it. That is silly nonsense. In fact most liberals point to poverty is the sacred reason why people illegally come to this country and they suggest this is proper behavior. Stop telling stories.

Now for point one. When taxes on the rich exceed their share of the total income earned in the country, they are paying above their fair share. When those same taxes are proposed to be raised, it seems reasonable to me that the suggestion that they are being taken advantage of (stolen from) is a reasonable claim. This happens to be the case. It has been discussed here ad nausium. (Even if I can’t spell ad nausium).

The "skin in the game" reference refers to the FACT that over half of Americans don’t pay taxes and nearly half of Americans receive a tax return check that is greater than the amount they paid into the system. Suggesting they pay something only indicates a desire to insure that everyone has a stake in the well-being of the country and that we do not develop a "they owe me" attitude that will cripple our nation. Skin in the game is an honest way of suggesting we all (even the poorest among us) benefit from being Americans and we all need to be invested.

As for unions and businesses, this is simple. Businesses are in the business of maximizing profits for their shareholders. Unions are in the business of maximizing benefits for their members.

The benefits of the union members cut into the profits of the shareholders therefore the nature of the relationship is adversarial. But just as people like me will accuse the union of being greedy and suggest the business justified in making as much profit as it can, people like you will suggest the business is greedy and the union is justified in maximizing the benefits of its members. This is certainly a two way street. This question smack of hypocrisy.
No I have not made a false accusation. If a poor urban single mother applying for welfare transferred her bank account over to a relative or trusted friend because there was a restriction on how much money you could have in the bank she'd be accused of gaming the system. But if a rich person did the same thing to avoid taxes they'd say good for him.

I never said anything about illegal behavior

It was never intended for everybody to pay income taxes, that's not the way it works. Therefore those who do pay income taxes pay more then their share of the total income.

Over half of Americans don't pay taxes?? Over half of Americans are homeless people who never buy anything and don't have jobs? Because if they have a home they are paying property taxes, either directly or it's passed on by the landlord. If they buy stuff they're very often paying sales tax, 5% here in Massachusetts (It'd be 14% if Cain had gotten in) and if they have jobs they're paying payroll taxes.

"nearly half of Americans receive a tax return check that is greater than the amount they paid into the system"

Not according to taxfoundation.org
Putting a Face on America's Tax Returns: A Chartbook | Tax Foundation
(chart 2)

"Businesses are in the business of maximizing profits for their shareholders. Unions are in the business of maximizing benefits for their members."

What the hell difference does that make???????????????????????

Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Because skin in the game involves paying 1% tax while stealing involves paying 40% tax.

It isn't. The terms do not refer to the same behavior.

I don't, and neither does any conservative I know. But in keeping with the liberal narrative that we want to make the rich richer and hate the poor, liberals ascribe things to us that we do not actually believe.

Many of the common beliefs about conservatives are in this category. They do not actually come from conservatives themselves. They come from liberals describing conservatives, and doing it in a biased manner.

For the company, because the purpose of a company is to generate a profit. Businesses aren't charities. If it doesn't make enough money, it can't expand. And if it loses money, it will go bankrupt.

For the union in the private sector, because everyone's job relies on the company being successful. And it isn't a problem with wanting a raise. The problem is with extorting a raise that the company cannot afford, making the company less competitive in the marketplace, preventing the company from expanding and creating new jobs, and making the company's products and services cost more for lower quality. See Hostess. See GM.

For the union in the public sector, the union simply shouldn't exist at all. The public sector is not an appropriate place for unions. For two reasons. First, the people determining the wages and benefits for people in the public sector are often elected officials. Unions make contributions to political campaigns. This makes it legal for the union to bribe the official with campaign contributions to agree to whatever they ask for. Second, the money being paid to public sector employees is tax money, not company money. The "company" is a government department that isn't in a competitive marketplace and the "owners" are the taxpayers themselves, who have to foot the bill but don't have input into the negotiations. So while the government official doing the bargaining has a duty to those taxpayers to make the best use of their money possible, almost all of the usual pressures on a manager to actually perform that duty are absent.

The fact that unions in the public sector are a bad idea used to be acknowledged by both Republicans and Democrats. However, JFK issued an executive order allowing them, they started contributing to the Democrat party, and Democrats have been protecting them ever since, ignoring the obvious conflict of interest inherent in them. Democrats elected by the people to represent the people, end up using the peoples' tax money to give public sector unions more pay and more benefits than the people who pay those taxes get themselves.

Hostess didn't go under because of the union. That's a damned lie. They went under because the greedy bastards didn't know how to run a company. And yes, when you already have several hundred thousand dollars but you want more so you steal the workers pensions that makes you a greedy bastard and I'm being way to charitable there

Old 02-27-2013, 03:39 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
Quote:
Hostess didn't go under because of the union. That's a damned lie. They went under because the greedy bastards didn't know how to run a company. And yes, when you already have several hundred thousand dollars but you want more so you steal the workers pensions that makes you a greedy bastard and I'm being way to charitable there
Lol
Shame On The Gluttonous Bakery Union Members, Blasted Twinkie Killers - Forbes

Old 02-27-2013, 04:52 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
First of those stats are an absolute fiction. It's accuracy has been debunked many times, but it is not surprising that a conservative would believe it.

Secondly, it doesn't at all answer the question I asked.

You wrote why shouldn't fictional people and complete strangers be responsible, and I asked how aren't they, and you produce a list of government programs. LOL

You are having a different discussion all together.

Your point is that you don't want the government to help certain Americans because you imagine they don't take responsibility for their lives. It is an absurd idea that you seem to believe that you would know this about millions of complete strangers LOL.

Again why you and conservatives generally think your hatred and irrational feelings about the lives of complete strangers should dictate government policy is pathetic.
You might consider not asking him a question about why he "and conservatives" "generally" think something in the very same post that you are using "fictional people and complete strangers" to point out that he does not have specifics on the people he is speaking about. You should not be asking him what conservatives generally think. You can no more take his opinion as indicative of what conservatives generally think than can he accurately state how much responsibility millions of people are showing without having any knowledge of them.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
No, that is not what I asked and I'm sure you know that.

You said
"why is tax law and the same tax BREAKS/DEFERMENTS/EXEMPTIONS that the poor love and use, called a loophole when the rich use them"

and I asked
and I answered your question.....

you original statement was....

Quote:
Why is it called a loophole when a rich person takes advantage of it but it's called gaming the system when a poor person does it. Why do they say good for him when the rich person does it but they say he should be prosecuted when a poor person does it?

for which I responed:
Quote:
why is tax law and the same tax BREAKS/DEFERMENTS/EXEMPTIONS that the poor love and use, called a loophole when the rich use them

of which you snarkly said:

Quote:
of which I (who has been doing taxes for 30 years) said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero

mortgage interest credit
property tax credit
tuition credit
retirement fund credit
energy credit
medical expense credit
job expense credit
child care credit

do you not get it....

''''loopholes'''is just a slang term....the fact is it is TAX LAW

the rich will use tax law, just like the poor or middleclass does

let the freaking liberals want to doom and gloom the tax law and the rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies