Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Says the person living in the posh, screaming blue southern california
Come to Los Angeles sometime, and I will give you a tour of some real 3rd world type areas right here in "posh" southern California(odd - it never occurred to me to use such a word in reference to my region - underscoring my earlier description of you as uninformed).

There are more eye openers here than you can shake a stck at - and in a liberal city, no less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 AM

19,639 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Bigots are everywhere.

I have relatives in the Northeast who do use racial slurs and are very prejudiced against some groups. To even suggest that there is no bigotry in the Northeast is simply absurd.
No one said there were none, it's just the Northeast or the north in general isn't known as bigot central. We had one racial incident (which turned out to be dumb kids) in my town in Mass years ago and it became a big scandal. Bigots exist everywhere but they are not most prevalent in the Northeast by a longshot.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The biggest dumps in the nation are in the bright red states.

Just take a drive through the rootin' tootin' deep south, you would think you are in a 3rd world country.
Ask Greece what living beyond your means and shifts of money from priavte sector to governamnt does i the end to jobs and aprsonal wealth. What you see is the result here of wealth nthat is mostly just consumed since the mid 60's under Johnson.Its resulted in more and more dependecy by people to where their interest is only in what govenramnt personally provide them regardless of now its fianced. I would looked to the destructio of the large cties decay and their fiscal liabilties from no finanical base compared to spending. That is why we see shifts in demograhics we are nowe form NE to south and west;the fiscal liablities are not sustainable and we see people fleeeig that as well as businesses.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No one said there were none, it's just the Northeast or the north in general isn't known as bigot central. We had one racial incident (which turned out to be dumb kids) in my town in Mass years ago and it became a big scandal. Bigots exist everywhere but they are not most prevalent in the Northeast by a longshot.
Well, I don't know many bigots in my town, either. Most are of the live-and-let-live persuasion. In ARKANSAS. That doesn't stop people from claiming that the state is just one big "dump" filled with racists and bigots, though?

And really, the comments about the south are a form of bigotry. Bigotry isn't just about race or ethnicity. The stereotype of a racist, bigoted, backwards South is a product of bigotry as well.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lybricks View Post
For people of African ancestry, especially males, absolutely.

Not by a long shot. A black man is in CHARGE of the US government for Petessake.

Economically, if black Americans were their own nation, they would be among if not the most successful cohort of African descended peoples in the world.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
How about

McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX

Brownsville-Harlingen, TX

Valdosta, GA

Morristown, TN

Jonesboro, AR

Hot Springs, AR

Monroe, LA

Gadsden, AL

Albany, GA

Thats a start

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...schooling.html

Poverty in Appalachia (Graphics heavy... ) - Democratic Underground

Parts of Appalachia look like 3rd world Mexico.

Harlingen TX is one of Bank of 'America's' last servicing ops center in the US. This is because they hire illegals and pay them dirt.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:19 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I agree. I'm tired of hearing that I live in the "best country in the world" and never hearing about how it ranks consistently low in almost every category. But the worthless US media would rather dedicate an entire week of "news" coverage to a bunch of people who lost power on a boat. I find that RT is taking over the real job of the media in a Republic: lodging meaningful criticism against the government and power structure.
the US media is no longer news, real journalism died a decade ago.

What passes for 'news' on cnn and fox, is merely corporate propaganda and celeb trash/distraction.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
How about

McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX

Brownsville-Harlingen, TX

Valdosta, GA

Morristown, TN

Jonesboro, AR

Hot Springs, AR

Monroe, LA

Gadsden, AL

Albany, GA
Hey please add the entire state of NH! NH is possibly the worst place to live in the world! it's wicked cold right now and when it isn't there is biting bugs big time......

The locals are not even civilized yet!

Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Look at the charts again. Where do the numbers start going down? This blaming Obama for the problems caused by Bush is getting old. We all know who wrecked the economy. You are not going to rewrite history that easily.

Jeez, you're dense. The charts you present only represent ILLEGAL immigration; specifically people apprehended crossing the border from Mexico. IT DOES NOT ACCOUNT FOR ILLEGAL CROSSINGS WHICH THE BORDER CONTROL MISSED. AND THERE ARE THOUSANDS.

I asked you to consider the steady influx of LEGAL immigrants from around the world, whose consistent volume testifies to the desirability of immigrating to the US and gives the lie to the argment that the "US is the worst country in the worrrrrld" bleating of the OP.

Or have you forgotten the topic of this thread? Hint: it ain't illegal immigration....

Old 03-01-2013, 02:16 PM

68 posts, read 149,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

Idk...I mean I mainly grew up in a Northern city but I also spent years in the south...I'd say that in the south the racism is a bit more obvious, and it also seems more akin to old-school racism (slurs, ridiculous stereotypes, etc.) but I can say with some confidence that there's just as much racism up north. It's just more of a hypocritical, patronizing form of racism. By that I mean that there's a lot of people up here that believe they themselves are tolerant, enlightened individuals who fully support equal rights for minorities...they just don't want to live anywhere near them. Like, the type of people that grow fearful whenever they find themselves in a predominantly black neighborhood. I went to college up north, and a lot of students, usually from the burbs, wouldn't dare enter the neighborhood right across the river for fear of being mugged, or raped, or shot, or possibly all three lol. In fact, the area in question is one of the safer neighborhoods in the city and is made up of colorful victorian-era homes, neatly trimmed lawns, lovely gardens and very community-oriented residents. There's just not too many white faces...so run for your lives! Also, I read somewhere that statistically the most 'segregated' cities in america (in terms of geographic distribution) are in the north. I think Buffalo or maybe chicago was used as an example, I'd have to check up on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies