Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 03:01 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times

Advertisements

I'd rather make Mardi Gras, St Patricks Day, and Cinco de Mayo all federal holidays, along with the Monday after Superbowl Sunday.

And I'd ban Valentine's Day. PERMANENTLY.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM

154 posts, read 197,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Twelve day to celebrate the birth and life of a person that there is no definitive proof ever even existed, not to mention Easter and Ash Wednesday...and that is not enough? You need another day off to sleep late or shop to honor Jesus?

Why not demand that his face grace the dollar bill???
This is off topic whether you believe Jesus existed or not. There are plenty of historical and scientific evidence that Jesus existed.

We need holidays to celebrate the holiday, or break from work.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:04 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
If you make Fat Tuesday a national holiday, I'll support Good Friday a national holiday.
I want the Feast of Maximum Occupancy off, too.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:06 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
I'd rather make Mardi Gras, St Patricks Day, and Cinco de Mayo all federal holidays, along with the Monday after Superbowl Sunday.

And I'd ban Valentine's Day. PERMANENTLY.
Especially Mardi Gras, which is connected to lent. Ditto for Valentines day, tackiest holday around

Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM

This thread should have poll. I hope MOD could add one.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
I want the Feast of Maximum Occupancy off, too.
Serious responds please

Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
There are more important days to the nation that are worthy of observation than Good Friday. The day after superbowl is one of them. I don't see how any other holiday could be suggested before post-superbowl monday.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There are more important days to the nation that are worthy of observation than Good Friday. The day after superbowl is one of them. I don't see how any other holiday could be suggested before post-superbowl monday.
Why should day after Superbowl have to became a national holiday? What has "Superbowl" done throughout history? Not all Americans watch that game. The game should be moved to a Saturday if day after is a concern. Also why should the government have to observe it?

Superbowl is also played during winter, and we need a Spring holiday

Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You're right. The thread wasn't about Christmas or the origin of it. My error was veering off topic. For that, I'm sorry. And yes, I have read many comments in the Christian threads. Some pretty vile, imo. But that's just people's opinions. As much as I dislike them, I just try to ignore them. I happen to be a Christian and to read some of the horrible things I do, it's hurtful but I let them believe what they want. However, being a Christian doesn't mean I shouldn't know the history of the world and how celebrations came to be.

As for Good Friday, I was trying to recall if we ever had that off in grammar school. Then I remembered that we had a week off and called it Easter Break. Now it's called Spring break for schools who are still on the 9/3 schedule. Schools with year-round schedules don't do that. At least I don't think they do. I don't have children in school any longer so it's all foreign to me.
Well, I don't frequent the religion forum.

Schools on year-round schedules have a spring break time as well. If you look at this calendar, from a district near me, you will see that each of the four tracks has three weeks off in the spring, from late Feb. through early May.
http://www.cherrycreekschools.org/Hu...0Education.pdf

Here's another district near me that has a "modified" schedule, with two weeks off in late March-early April:
https://www.dcsdk12.org/cs/groups/pu.../dcs832375.pdf

Here's yet another schedule "Split fall break modified" with two weeks in the spring:
https://www.dcsdk12.org/cs/groups/pu.../dcs832376.pdf

Having a spring break is nice. I'm all for a spring holiday, as I've said before.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 PM

554 posts, read 608,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandicA View Post
This is off topic whether you believe Jesus existed or not. There are plenty of historical and scientific evidence that Jesus existed.
Yes, you may be correct.

Saturday Night Live - New Tarantino Movie - Video - NBC.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies