Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 01:57 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandicA View Post
Good Friday is celebrated by all Christians, not only the Hispanics or Catholics.
I'm pretty sure that "celebrate" is the wrong word to use in this context. It is more a day of mourning. The sacrifice of Jesus is a sad event for Christians For the fact that it had to happen. Easter, on the other hand, is the real celebration for Christians.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Christmas is a federal holiday. The other federal holidays are all secular, eg New Year's Day (and don't give me some BS about NYD being the "feast of the circumcision of Christ"); President's Day (honoring all presidents, not just Lincoln and Washington); Memorial Day (honoring dead veterans, thus debunking this "in the US we only celebrate people's births"); July 4 (my daughter's birthday!); Labor Day; Columbus Day; Thanksgiving Day.

As I said earlier, I would still like a "spring holiday", and another summer holiday as well.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:58 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandicA View Post
No Christians have said that Christmas is a secular holiday. It is usually the Atheists who say that and tries to make all Christian holidays into secular ones (even though they know by heart it is a Christian holiday, even by dictionary definition).

Some Christians in America try to say Christian holidays/laws/principles are "secular" just to get away with Separation of Church and State.
I have never met met a non christian who said that they believed christmas is a secular holiday.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Why should there be ANY Holidays sanctioned by ANY Governmental entity?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why should there be ANY Holidays sanctioned by ANY Governmental entity?
Hello, GD! I think holidays are an important part of our culture. There is not one culture that doesn't recognize any holidays. They give people a break, are good for morale.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Hello, GD! I think holidays are an important part of our culture. There is not one culture that doesn't recognize any holidays. They give people a break, are good for morale.
BUT - should it be the Governments role to DICTATE things like Holidays?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
BUT - should it be the Governments role to DICTATE things like Holidays?
Good question. Again, I say there's precedence, from all the societies that went before ours. It also puts everyone off on the same days, which may be advantageous for scheduling, child care, etc. However, those shouldn't be the only criteria. I don't know if you caught this, but at the hospital where my DD works, I believe in the inpatient units you get to choose your own holidays. But that is in a place that is open 24/7.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
Religion has KILLED millions of people
Santa Claus has killed no one
Now this, I consider, crap. Religion kills no one. It is a tool to motivate the masses into doing what you want.

Tell them your Country, God, or people are in Danger in that order and you can get a lot of people to do about anything.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."

--Goering at the Nuremberg Trials

Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I find it interesting

Look, the mission here is that the Feds have too many holidays as it is. They are off work 10 days as it stands, which is about 3 more than average.

I don't care if you want to add Good Friday, Rosh Hashanah, Ashura Day, or Carl Sagen's birthday

WTF are you interested in giving the feds more time off. You think they are getting enough work as it is done. A holiday is more $$ in every feds pocketbook. What the F' have these people done to deserve this addition.

Quit on your one sided "my religion is popular so please have off st. valentines day please" crap. They need less vacation days not more, we should slice . . .something
The feds aren't the only ones who get those days off.
You work in a lousy business if you think so.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 PM

154 posts, read 197,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The feds aren't the only ones who get those days off.
You work in a lousy business if you think so.
Exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies