Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Many people choose to be poor and many people choose to be homeless.

They choose to be poor by being lazy or not working at all or by wasting their time and money. It happens every day and always has.

Get your head out of the sand.
They were in the right place at the right time, weren't they and that opportunity just jumped up and grabbed 'em.

Bad things happen to good people all the time. Some people should take extra precautions, because a life lesson could be just around the corner. Never know, when the bell tolls, it just may toll for thee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If money currently going into government run social programs was put into private charities, we would be able to give those in need several hundred billion dollars more than they currently receive. How is that not something you care about?
You were doing a tit for tat between who does more for poverty in this country, the pubs or dems and who cares the most, with some evidence in some statistic numbering; that was the post I posted the response too. Where as stats do not feed and do absolutely nothing to help the situation. It doesn't matter.

As for this post of yours, most private charities are churches and last I checked, churches, faith-based organizations can not receive government funding. There is a whole issue with the VISTA program (Volunteers in Service to America) where some of their projects are based on an outreach to the faith-based community. Since VISTA is a government funded program, you can imagine some of the problems they may face.

So the fight to end poverty in America, it isn't an easy task to under take.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Do you have any stats? How many people are poor because of unfortunate circumstances like poor health as compared to the number who are poor because they waste money or don't work hard?
What, do you want to go out and count the people who live under the over passes and alley ways; in card board boxes, in every the city, town, and community in every state in America...hey, you'd be among the few and I say that because...

Your OP reminded me of one of the great movies ever produced staring Lucille Ball. In looking it up, the movie was released in 1985, I'm thinking so to inform people. The title of it is, "Stone Pillow". There is also a post on this thread where a poster wrote about an article from a Philadelphia newspaper; the article also written in 1985.

So perhaps you're right. Perhaps America has become the Utopia where poor people are rich. Some how though, I don't think so.

Stone Pillow (1985) - Homeless life and city - YouTube

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 03-29-2013 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: changed out the clip

Old 03-29-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There are people who choose to be just poor enough to get benefits. They will sacrifice potential for the security of receving a monthly check and food stamps, etc. They will sacrifice the American ideal of home ownership so they keep the assistance train rolling. Yes, it IS a choice for many, but again, that would be just poor enough. If these benefits didn't exist and they had to live in true poverty they would be working very hard to get out of it like the legal immigrants that come here to actually achieve and live a productive successful life.
It's a fact of life, some have it and some don't. It doesn't get any better than that.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 AM

Default Some thing for every one

RoadKing:

Landing

Call those people up and tell them, there are no dumpster diving poor people living in America that they don't have a flat screen tv. Lean More

tamajane:

A report that you may find informative:

Cato Report Finds Poor Immigrants Use Fewer Public Benefits than Natives » Immigration Impact

" Departing from the CIS, the study by the Cato Institute adjusts for income to ensure that appropriate comparisons are made, does not mistakenly count naturalized citizens as immigrants, and focuses on individuals’ immigration status rather than classifying households by the immigration status of the head – which avoids erroneously counting some U.S. citizen children as immigrants. Together, these correctives provide a clearer and more accurate picture of welfare receipt, effectively dispelling exaggerated reports that inflate the degree of immigrant use of public benefits."

Old 03-29-2013, 06:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
They were in the right place at the right time, weren't they and that opportunity just jumped up and grabbed 'em.

Bad things happen to good people all the time. Some people should take extra precautions, because a life lesson could be just around the corner. Never know, when the bell tolls, it just may toll for thee.

Absolutely true.

But some people prepare by living within their means. Then they are better able to handle "bad things".

Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
RoadKing:

Landing

Call those people up and tell them, there are no dumpster diving poor people living in America that they don't have a flat screen tv. Lean More

Nobody said that. Reread the OP.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Conservatives give 30% more to charity than Liberals, and they give to charities that are 2.5x more effective in usage of funds than social welfare programs.

Liberals support social programs that are the most ineffective method of helping people and give less to the poor than any other political party. How is it that liberals aren't the ones who hate the poor again?
Oh lordy. Here we go again with the charity crap. I don't know how the hell some people think that donating an old, pair of pants to the homeless solves the plight of the homeless, but they frikkin DO believe it!!!! They actually think it solves something! OMFG. I'm not even going to address this insane sh_t again.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Oh lordy. Here we go again with the charity crap. I don't know how the hell some people think that donating an old, pair of pants to the homeless solves the plight of the homeless, but they frikkin DO believe it!!!! They actually think it solves something! OMFG. I'm not even going to address this insane sh_t again.
Maybe you only donate an old pair of pants, but most of us donate MONEY. Huge sums of MONEY.

So try addressing your own insane sh1t.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:50 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Maybe you only donate an old pair of pants, but most of us donate MONEY. Huge sums of MONEY.

So try addressing your own insane sh1t.
Yeah? EXACTLY how many of you right wingers donate?

EXACTLY how much do each of you right wingers donate?

HOW COME IT'S NOT EVEN MAKING A DENT, if all this charity is so amazing and so abundant?

Can we all make you donate more so it comes up to what the actual amount needed for the poor TOTALS?

Can we make all of you sign a contract to continue this donation until you've taken your last breath?

NO? Oh well, that's just too bad.

Please do me a favor? Stop waving the carrot of charity. I don't know how many more ways to say it - STOP. Trying to use the carrot of charity, and how charitable you all are, as a technique of doing away with welfare is not working. It's not working on so many levels, I don't even have the time to tell you. Charity does NOT solve the problem for the poor, for the homeless, for anyone. You want to give? Great! But don't be fooling me with the bs that charity is a problem-solver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies