Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,900,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You're either unable or too stubborn to understand.

I want insurance to cover All bc. If the pill fits you, we'll pay. But we know that roughly half of abortions are by women who used the pill. So if you Want to Choose a more effective method, Such As IUD or sterilization, we'll not only pay, but offer a bonus.

I never said everyone can have an IUD. Nor can everyone use the pill.
Why are women getting pregnant on the pill if it's such a great form of birth control? It's not and I know plenty of women who got pregnant on the pill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 01:46 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,172,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
For the umpteenth time, this isn't about the government paying for birth control, it is about insurance!
The insurance shouldn't pay for it either.

INSURANCE -
the act, system, or business of insuring property, life, one's person, etc., against loss or harm arising in specified contingencies, as fire, accident, death, disablement, or the like, in consideration of a payment proportionate to the risk involved.

Insurance should cover something that happens unexpectedly, you get sick, have an accident, etc.

Who do you think pays for insurance? You? Me? Employers.. When insurance pays for everyday things like contraception, they charge more, which raises the costs for everyone. You really don't think that INSURANCE is going pay for it.. If they are forced to pay for it, they are going to charge everyone else for it.

Isn't they current battle cry, "Stay out of uterus"? Why ask someone else to pay for it?

Old 03-10-2013, 01:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But if it's just passed on to the consumer, perhaps it's better left for the customer to pay? It's not like say emergency care, which strikes few suddenly and unaffordable expenses. Such as after a heart attack, an accident, etc. Or something chronic that's expensive for the unlucky who have it, say diabetes medicine.
Frankly, I think the increased cost would be in the pennies, if at all, considering the costs of unintended and unplanned pregnancies would go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The insurance shouldn't pay for it either.

INSURANCE -
the act, system, or business of insuring property, life, one's person, etc., against loss or harm arising in specified contingencies, as fire, accident, death, disablement, or the like, in consideration of a payment proportionate to the risk involved.

Insurance should cover something that happens unexpectedly, you get sick, have an accident, etc.

Who do you think pays for insurance? You? Me? Employers.. When insurance pays for everyday things like contraception, they charge more, which raises the costs for everyone. You really don't think that INSURANCE is going pay for it.. If they are forced to pay for it, they are going to charge everyone else for it.

Isn't they current battle cry, "Stay out of uterus"? Why ask someone else to pay for it?
Who gets to decide what insurance SHOULD pay?

No one is asking for anyone to pay for their uterus.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:09 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,172,232 times
Quote:
Frankly, I think the increased cost would be in the pennies, if at all, considering the costs of unintended and unplanned pregnancies would go down.

Who gets to decide what insurance SHOULD pay?

No one is asking for anyone to pay for their uterus.
How about insurance pays for what insurance is designed to pay for. Aciddents, sickness, etc.

If you have an AUTO policy, and you INTENTIONALLY wreck your car, they are not going to pay for it. WHY hold them financially responsible for intentional activity when it concerns health insurance?

Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
How about insurance pays for what insurance is designed to pay for. Aciddents, sickness, etc.

If you have an AUTO policy, and you INTENTIONALLY wreck your car, they are not going to pay for it. WHY hold them financially responsible for intentional activity when it concerns health insurance?
Who says that is what insurance is designed to pay for. These comparisons between our bodies and our cars crack me up. You can't total your body, you know, and get a new one.

Insurance is a contract. It can cover whatever the contract says it covers. Why should auto ins. cover a rental car if you have an accident? Because it does, it's in the contract (usually).

Old 03-10-2013, 02:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Quote:
Who says that is what insurance is designed to pay for. These comparisons between our bodies and our cars crack me up. You can't total your body, you know, and get a new one.
But someone has to pay for taking care of a repairing a malfunctioning body.

My dad compares health insurance with auto insurance to justify the insurance mandate. Own a car? You're required to get insurance. Have a body capable of getting sick? Should required to get insurance just the same.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But someone has to pay for taking care of a repairing a malfunctioning body.

My dad compares health insurance with auto insurance to justify the insurance mandate. Own a car? You're required to get insurance. Have a body capable of getting sick? Should required to get insurance just the same.
Well, he has a point, but as some like to say on here, you don't have to own a car. You don't even have to insure your car if you're not going to drive it, though I can't imagine too many circumstances where you'd have one you're not driving. To add, before someone has a stroke over their keyboard trying to enlighten me, both my mother and mother-in-law kept their cars a while after they quit driving, but eventually sold them.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:18 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,426,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's part of the goal.
Control women and make sure their lives suck.
And they say there's no war on women.
There always was, there always will be.
You figured us out. It's been a conspiracy since day 1.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:26 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,426,253 times
Quote:
The prescription dose of Ibuprofen was 800 mg. When it became OTC, it was offered in 200 mg pills. You have to take 4 to get the prescription strength, so it may not be that much cheaper.
Does a doctor have to write a script and submit a claim for his time? Does a pharmacist have to count the pills after the Rx tech has put them in the bottle and then bill the insurance company?

A bottle of #100 200mg generics is $2.99. I had oral surgery ten years ago and he wrote a script for 800mg #8. It would have been $24 to get 8 pills. My copay was $15. I asked the surgeon why he still wrote the scripts and he said some patients have plans that pay for everything that isn't OTC. If you're on Medicare they might also cover prescription drugs but not OTC. There is no reason to write a script for 800mg of ibuprofen. Tell them to take 4 tablets.

You know it's more expensive.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:37 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,514,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Why are women getting pregnant on the pill if it's such a great form of birth control? It's not and I know plenty of women who got pregnant on the pill.
Here's the rub with the pill. It depends on a woman using it properly. With the IUD, sterilization, Among Other Methods, proper use, like remembering to take it, are out of the woman's hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies