Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
And some more "facts" about civics being eliminated:

It's unclear why state board officials have suggested dropping U.S. Government as a required course, though civics education advocates aren't happy with the plan, The Washington Post reports. Board President Laura Slover tells the Post that she considers the proposal "open to discussion."

D.C. Schools Consider Dropping U.S. Government High School Graduation Requirement
Not surprising. Liberals have a big problem with the teaching of the US Constitution and balance of powers, limited federal government and states rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Army suspends tuition assistance program for troops - News - Stripes
The Army’s tuition assistance program was available for troops to complete a high school diploma, certificate program or college or master’s degree. Under the program, the Army paid 100 percent of the tuition and authorized fees charged by a school up to established limits of $250 per semester hour or credit hour or up to $4,500 per fiscal year.

They still get the GI bill.
Why am I paying for rubber stamp schools overseas.
Graduates still can't write a coherent sentence in their native tongue.

Let them pay for school while in the military.
Again, the GI bill wasn't touched.

BTW, why is this in place at all?
It's expensive discretionary spending.

Also, if the military member gets tuition assistance and gets a master's/doctorate, that person can then GIVE his GI Bill Education Benefit to a family member.
How is that fair to the taxpayer?

Don't give me the drivel that they're special because they're military.
Look at it this way. Some get points for promotion for going to school while active duty. Not only that but sometimes it helps them with their jobs. Get Promotion Points - Education Online | ArmyStudyGuide.com

There are many military members who do not use their GI Bill. With that said, they have to reach certain criteria and jump through certain hoops just to transfer the GI bill to their child(ren) or family members. Even then there are guidelines for the spouse or child(ren) to follow.
Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

FYI- Before the GI bill changed, under the Montgomery GI bill, they had to pay in $1200. I know this for a fact because my husband did pay into it his first year he was enlisted.
Tuition Assistance Programs : Active Duty | Army.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives continue to prove that they don't believe their own anti-spending rhetoric.

So here is a summation of what conservatives don't want cut. White house tours, the USDA, the FAA, and now tuition assistance programs from the army and marine corps.
I dont think the White House tours should be cut at all. After all it is the peoples house.

Beside TA, they have cut is family/marraige retreats for families also- which I'm ok with because we could never take advantage of it. I wouldnt be suprised if the public schools who have military children in them loose funding, and the MTF's suffer also.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Look at it this way. Some get points for promotion for going to school while active duty. Not only that but sometimes it helps them with their jobs. Get Promotion Points - Education Online | ArmyStudyGuide.com
Not sure what you're trying to say here?

Quote:
There are many military members who do not use their GI Bill. With that said, they have to reach certain criteria and jump through certain hoops just to transfer the GI bill to their child(ren) or family members. Even then there are guidelines for the spouse or child(ren) to follow.
Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs
This has only been true since August 1st 2009.

Quote:
FYI- Before the GI bill changed, under the Montgomery GI bill, they had to pay in $1200. I know this for a fact because my husband did pay into it his first year he was enlisted.
Tuition Assistance Programs : Active Duty | Army.com
They don't have to pay now? That's interesting, since everyone I knew while I was their supervisor, had to pay in....

I know for a FACT, some wives need to step away. You are not told everything, nor do you understand.
Sorry, I've dealt with wives for many years as a Seniors NCO....

Quote:
I dont think the White House tours should be cut at all. After all it is the peoples house.
Agreed/

Quote:
Beside TA, they have cut is family/marraige retreats for families also- which I'm ok with because we could never take advantage of it. I wouldnt be suprised if the public schools who have military children in them loose funding, and the MTF's suffer also.
I retired in 2009 and only heard of 1 marriage re-treat....not to say they did not happen. As for schools, why would that happen?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,657 times
Default What is Obama Afraid of? Tuition for Illegal Immigrants and NOT the Military?

What is Obama Afraid of? Tuition for Illegal Immigrants and NOT the Military? Why on earth would The Commander in Chief wanted an uneducated force?

Military halts popular tuition assistance to save money | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

California Dream Act: 20,000 illegal immigrant students apply for state financial aid for the first time - San Jose Mercury News

Old 03-14-2013, 07:18 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,657 times

Old 03-14-2013, 07:18 PM

45,220 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Government should get out of the school loan business, period.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
What is Obama Afraid of? Tuition for Illegal Immigrants and NOT the Military? Why on earth would The Commander in Chief wanted an uneducated force?

Military halts popular tuition assistance to save money | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

California Dream Act: 20,000 illegal immigrant students apply for state financial aid for the first time - San Jose Mercury News
Discontinuation of that policy, given the trillions of dollars Obama has wasted to pay off cronies, is an embarrassment to the nation. For that matter, Obama is an embarrassment to the nation, as he has proven again with this policy.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
That California Dream Act is state money, not Fed money. Obama has nothing to do with that.

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Obama will always put illegals first before Americans.. that is his baggage.. his racial baggage speaking

552 posts, read 720,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Government should get out of the school loan business, period.
But then they wouldnt have millions of debtor slaves by the you know what now would they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies