Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Is that what it's come down to..arguing over 900 calories ?
Is that the breaking point for obesity and having all your medical care paid for by other taxpayers ?

I dunno..clean the house when you get home and burn off those 900 calories and will keep you from becoming a burden on society.
At my size, 900 calories would be almost half of what my caloric intake for the day should be.

I'd have to do hard cardio for 3 hours to burn off 900 calories. Simply cleaning the house ain't gonna cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 03:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
At my size, 900 calories would be almost half of what my caloric intake for the day should be.

I'd have to do hard cardio for 3 hours to burn off 900 calories. Simply cleaning the house ain't gonna cut it.
I should have invited you down to my house. Had to clear 2800 ft of fence line over the past couple of weeks. Old grapevines, cactus and weed trees all tangled up in old barbed wire.

I was too exhausted to eat a decent meal some nights.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:

I run an hour a day and burn around 1200-1400 calories. /shrug

Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I should have invited you down to my house. Had to clear 2800 ft of fence line over the past couple of weeks. Old grapevines, cactus and weed trees all tangled up in old barbed wire.

I was too exhausted to eat a decent meal some nights.

Been there, done that.

People don't know hard work these days. My wife hates the way I do physical work. It is all go, no stop until it is done. I don't eat half the time when I am working like that. I am too busy getting stuff done.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
What would it be in the business owner's best interest: to supply this information and allow their clients to the opportunity to have the chance to decide OR withhold this information and have more potential clients to go elsewhere?

Remember this law is geared toward restaurants with 20 or more outlets, not your local mom and pop shop.

Overview of FDA Proposed Labeling Requirements for Restaurants, Similar Retail Food Establishments and Vending Machines
It is in your best interest to eat a certain way, exercise a certain way, and live your life according to such, but you don't see me suggesting I should be able to dictate such to you. You are an adult, that is your choice, your decision to make, good or bad. Like you, the business owner is also an adult, left to make their decisions good or bad for their business. I see telling them how to run their business in the same manner as I see dictating to you how you should live personally. That is, I think what is in the best interest of someone is what they choose to do as their ability to choose for themselves is the "best interest" of them.

Last edited by Nomander; 03-14-2013 at 04:27 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM

588 posts, read 796,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

No one reads calorie counts. There is zero valid justification for this. You don't have to be a genius to know what foods are fatter than others. This would be just laughable if it weren't actually happening.
I read calorie counts at Subway. A few weeks ago, while on a road trip, I was happy to see a calorie menu at Burger King so that I could put together a meal with less than 800 calories.

This country does have an obesity problem. If you have better ideas, contact your representatives.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:

It's a lot of calories, and most people are like the 'nomander' poster here who thought he is consuming only 400 calories, when reality was 1300. If that whopper salad is lunch, then dinner and breakfast better be small to keep the daily intake around 2000

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-14-2013 at 04:58 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I'm confused, I thought calorie counts have already been on items forever.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Not everything. Cut fruit sold by supermarkets will now need to have them.
Fresh food prepared by supermarkets (bakery, deli, fruit) will have to send to a lab to get the proper calorie count for what they sell so they can label it.

My supermarket bakery bakes fresh rolls daily..4/$1.00 and there's no label on the display case for how many calories are in each roll. Neither at the donut section where you can pick out your own.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:02 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Yes, they have (for the most part), but now it is politically appropriate to be 'angry' about it, because Obamacare also mentions is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies