Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
You can always ask your waitress how many calories are in a dish if you aren't sure.
I'd rather see it on the menu for each item, so I won't have to ask them about every item.

Quote:
Nutrition labels do not bother me. I think they are good thing. But, as you said "many grocery stores have begun to color code their products."

The free market has already taken care of the situation. Just as it always does. No reason to give more power to the govt to fix something that is not a problem. Plus, if it's already done why waste taxpayer money on it?
It's great stores and restaurants doing it on their own, but the truth is that originally they didn't do it on their own. Most of the laws have been in place for decades, and when they started adding them on products, people actually liked the idea, and some stores took it even further, and added the color coding to provide better service. That's a good thing. At least down here and in many other places restaurants already offer the information, so there won't be any added cost for them, or the tax payer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Now I don't look at calories but I do look to see if there is HFCS in a product and I check for the expiration date.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:28 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I never said it was a bad idea. I said the free market already does it. Which is a good thing.

Where in the Constitution does it give the feds the right to do this? It aint there, despite what anyone says. it doesn't take a law degree to understand what the Constitution says. it's pretty straight forward.

And what gives you the right to decide companies should be forced to provide this information? Especially since they already do it? Thank you, supreme Decider of Everything, your Excellency, MTAtech.
After a review of your post history it's pretty clear that you are a staunch and passionate defender of what you imagine the Constitution to be.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I'd rather see it on the menu for each item, so I won't have to ask them about every item.

It's great stores and restaurants doing it on their own, but the truth is that originally they didn't do it on their own. Most of the laws have been in place for decades, and when they started adding them on products, people actually liked the idea, and some stores took it even further, and added the color coding to provide better service. That's a good thing.
If you are that calorie conscience then why are you eating out so much since eating out is not the best thing if you are watching what you eat ?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have not seen calorie counts on vending machines, have you ?
Every time I go to class I pass vending machines filled with products that have calories and ingredients listed.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you are that calorie conscience then why are you eating out so much since eating out is not the best thing if you are watching what you eat ?
//www.city-data.com/forum/28663436-post61.html

Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

It's great stores and restaurants doing it on their own, but the truth is that originally they didn't do it on their own. Most of the laws have been in place for decades, and when they started adding them on products, people actually liked the idea, and some stores took it even further, and added the color coding to provide better service. That's a good thing.
You'd rather use government force to make things more convienent for you.

You say they aren't doing it on their own and then you say they are.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
They are already doing it though, maybe not in every state, but they are already listing calories. I can count on my hands the number of places that don't already list nutritional information and they are all small companies that won't be impacted anyway. There are legitimate reasons to criticize Obamacare, but this isn't one.
This is a perfectly valid criticism of ObamaCare. The point is, the federal governemnt has no right to force this new cost onto the entire food service industry. It's just another new, increased cost that you and I will pay, all because of freaking ObamaCare.

Those companies who can list calories and nutritional information, and do it relatively cheap, already do it, that was their choice. But for some businesses it's cost prohibitive.

A restaurant like McDonalds or Red Lobster might have the same exact menu nation wide, and not change them for months at a time. They have deep pockets and this cost to them will not be felt as much, but the new costs will still be passed along to the customer.

But a bakery that makes a breads, pies, cakes and cookies, or a grocery store deli that is always adding new variety to their customers, they will either have to absorb these new costs of sending their food to the FDA for testing, or eliminate variety in the products they sell.

...each store has to send all of those items out to labs to be tested, do paperwork to justify the ingredient and nutritional information for each item to the FDA and then create signage and train employees to use it.

FDA head says menu labeling 'thorny' issue

Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
After a review of your post history it's pretty clear that you are a staunch and passionate defender of what you imagine the Constitution to be.
Really?

You actually took time to review my posts. lols.

To tell you the truth I don't remember mentioning the Constitution on here much at all.

Since you obviously understand the Constitution better than me you can answer me this. What clause in there gives the Feds the authority to force a company to provide calorie counts on a product?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

But a bakery that makes a breads, pies, cakes and cookies, or a grocery store deli that is always adding new variety to their customers, they will either have to absorb these new costs of sending their food to the FDA for testing, or eliminate variety in the products they sell.

...each store has to send all of those items out to labs to be tested, do paperwork to justify the ingredient and nutritional information for each item to the FDA and then create signage and train employees to use it.

FDA head says menu labeling 'thorny' issue
But that's okay. They are greedy businessmen. They can afford it.

And what kinda moron goes to a bakery wanting to now what the calorie count of a cream filled donut is anyway. I assume people that buy food at a bakery, fast food etc... either don't care about calories to begin with or aint worried about it the day they are there. lols.

It's like when they put calorie counts on alcohol. Yeah, that's what people are worried about when getting a bottle of booze. lols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies