Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
I don't think that Generation Y was voting these jokers into office during the previous 40 years, which is about how long these problems have been accumulating.
Boomer here... Let's see... 40 years ago... I was 10. The only thing I'd have been voting for was whether I had to eat green beans or ice cream for supper...

Not to mention the fact... that you do realize that most times... there's a thing called winner's and losers... You don't know... maybe I voted for the losing guy every time...

Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Unpaid internships aren't all that uncommon. In demand fields usually pay interns better than salary employees though. A person majoring in marketing would probably need to take an unpaid internship, but an accounting intern would not.
See, that's my point. People are accepting unpaid jobs. Standards are being lowered and people are accepting them.

Once a precedent is set and companies see how people are accepting of working for free then it will spread.

It's not that in demand fields pay interns better than salary employees, it's that interns make overtime
I did that when I was in college and the regulars gave us their extra work ..we got paid overtime and they didn't.
You could work an internship over the summer and have enough money to support yourself the next school semester. It really was a win/win for both students and companies and employees there.

Times have changed though.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
See, that's my point. People are accepting unpaid jobs. Standards are being lowered and people are accepting them.

Once a precedent is set and companies see how people are accepting of working for free then it will spread.
If you need job experience to get your first job and you can't get the experience without the job there isn't much of a choice. I sent letters to every firm in my city offering to volunteer and work for free and still didn't get any calls. Good school, good grades, work history, etc, but I ended up getting my job because of who my dad knew.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
However, these folks are, for some reason, not ideologically opposed to taking from the working-class and middle-class members of younger generations. They seem to idolize their fellow "rich boomers", and loathe their children's cohorts who are struggling just to pay rent every month.
This may be the one statement that you and I differ so greatly on. And this is personal.. I can't speak for anyone else. I am opposed to taking from the working and middle class. Always have been. We are working class. Like I said, hubby nor I either one have a college degree. You seem to be lumping all of us in as one big generation, much like ya'll say we do, when in actuality that can't be further from the truth. We don't idolize the rich fellow boomers, but we do appreciate and can understand where most of them came from. Granted there may be those born with a silver-spoon, but the biggest majority were not. They were like us. They started with nothing (in the case of hubby and I.. a pickup truck loaded with everything we owned in the back driven across country for our first job.) We've worked hard for 30 years. We're still working hard (although the last few days off has been great!). We've seen the sacrifices they have made. We're still making sacrifices. We don't loathe our children nor their cohorts. What we loathe is the attitude from SOME of their cohorts. Hell... we loathe the attitudes of a great many of OUR cohorts. We take the responsibility for our lives, our children's lives, and many of us now are taking on the responsibility for our parents lives.

All we ask is a little compassion, a little thanks for the many things we have done right for your generation, and not to be treated like some withered up old piece of shoe-leather thrown out in the garbage because we're not the "right style" anymore. Take a good long look in the mirror, because you are never going to look that young again, and I guarantee when your my age.. you are going to be hearing the EXACT same thing from the generations after you that we are hearing now.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Mark Zuckerberg is Gen Y, right?

He dropped out of college and is worth more than anyone on this board.
Fitting.

Praise a guy who stole an idea to get rich.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
If you need job experience to get your first job and you can't get the experience without the job there isn't much of a choice. I sent letters to every firm in my city offering to volunteer and work for free and still didn't get any calls. Good school, good grades, work history, etc, but I ended up getting my job because of who my dad knew.
Yeah..people are working for free saying "but there's no choice".

Then don't go crying about not having money.
Don't go crying about those greedy corporations when you accept to work for free.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
The thing is the world is different now. It's not the 60s, 70s or 80s anymore. Sometimes there is no way up. That's why you see 40 year olds working at McDonalds. There are only so many well paying blue collar and professional educated jobs.

I think the solution is to combat corporate greed, and then cut hours yet also pay people more per hour.
Oh please. It's exactly as it's always been. It was hard to start out in the 60s, 70s and 80s. There was, and still is, always a way up.

When I was in high school in the late 70s, there were 60 and 70 year olds working in McDonalds.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Fitting.

Praise a guy who stole an idea to get rich.
I suppose you would say that anyone who makes a chair stole the idea from the guy who made the first chair too, right? Since when is inventing a better wheel than the next guy 'stealing'?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Does today's youth think that they coined that phrase? I remember uttering the same exact phrase in 1977, 78, 79... you get the point.... Try being in your 50's, laid off, because your whole industry has been outsourced or completely eradicated because the industry itself doesn't exist, or perhaps changed because of technology or because it's no longer fashionable or environmentally friendly. Somehow, I'm sure there is some middle-age person uttering those words right now as we speak, because they don't have experience with computers or the technology to find a job right now either... I remember losing many of the long-standing employees at the bank I once worked at, because when we went from keeping everything by hand on ledger cards to a computer system it was just too newfangled for some of them to understand....

Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I suppose you would say that anyone who makes a chair stole the idea from the guy who made the first chair too, right? Since when is inventing a better wheel than the next guy 'stealing'?
If I contract you to build something for me and you take the idea and run with it while telling me your are building it and then once you are finished you tell me that you cannot build it have you committed theft? The answer is yes and the courts saw it that way too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies