Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There is no strong secession movement. The current movement is less a increasing dissatisfaction with the central control of America but is instead dissatisfaction from people who are pissed off that the black president won re-election. The government isn't any more central than it had been under Bush -- but the right-wing was quite then.

The secession movement basically got a few thousand signatures in a nation of tens of millions of voters. You can get that many people to sign a petition to outlaw gravity.
Another racist at work. Give it up, and go put your robe and pointy hat on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
so let me get this straight, the people shouldn't be allowed to elect their representatives, but a select few should? You realize that is the opposite of democracy.

Though I do get where you two are coming from, you two are living in areas where the Democrats are winning elections and you want the select Republicans to be allowed to pick Republicans for office over the demands of the voters that an obvious minority disagrees with. How pro-freedom you two are.
People do elect their representatives.

Again, I'm not Republican. And the Representative to Congress in my area is Republican, One of the Senators is, the Govenor is, all my state reps are, the attorney general, secretary of state, etc..in Ohio are all Republicans. So the idea that I need to rig the system to elect Republicans is nonsense.

Come back when you have something logical to say.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
In the case of the soda cup limitation, it is fine at the local level and should be a bottom of the barrel issue at the federal level only when most states have the same law. So basically to answer you question, never.
That's not an answer to my question or anything close to it.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
When the Progressive Era started, The centralized government controlled less than 5% of the economy.

With the passage of Obamacare, they surpassed the 50% mark.

So someone else, controlling 50% of your life, is better than 5%??

Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The State movements to secede from the Union show an increasing dissatisfaction with the central control of America by Washington DC.

We are seeing increasing defiance and dissatisfaction of a government people feel is no longer representative of their needs or in touch with reality.
It is my opinion that this is due to the centralization of power in Washington which is direct contrast to the 10th Amendment of the Constitution.

Every usurpation of power by the Federal Government, is a breach of the agreement between the people and the government, and adds to the disenfranchisement of the citizens.
It is also causing a division in the citizens that is now so visceral and full of hatred and mistrust that we no longer see ourselves as a united country.
The only way I see to address these issues is a concerted effort to decentralize America and to return the powers illegally usurped by the Federal Government to the States.

We need to resist the people who would impose their view of America on everyone else. What works for people is cities, does not necessarily work for people in rural America and vice versa. What works for one State does not necessarily work for another, and yet we have a micro representation of people in Washington with questionable knowledge and ethics deciding blanket policies for everyone as if there are one single solution for every problem. It is insanity, and it is going to cause increasing amounts of hate and mistrust in our people.
Yes

Old 03-18-2013, 04:38 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times
Are there any politicians out there qualified enough to execute a decentralization?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:44 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,131,738 times
I was always under the impression that Senators, while elected by the people, don't represent the people but rather the State, which is why each state has two. OF course the State indirectly represents the people to some extent.

Isn't the house the only true representation of the "people?"

And isn't it set up that the States control the lion's share of the power, while the people, through elections set the tone of the State?

Lol, I can't remember if I thought that up, read it in some paper somewhere or what.

I do know that we are supposed to be decentralized with the Feds performing very limited actions. Of course this was trounced on the second we gave up the Articles of Federation and accepted the Constitution.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Actually the correct response is that you can thank the Southern leaders for losing that war. It isnt Lincoln's fault the South lost.
Losing the war was not the problem. Lincoln expanded the power of the federal government and set us on a path of ever increasing our bloated federal government.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
No, a soda cup size limitation should be done on a local level.
Soda cup size should not be a government role at any level.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Yep, and poorer states receive money from the feds, see how that works? Do you support cutting off states that get more federal money than they put in?
Yes.

Revenue sharing should never happen. The feds should never move money from one state to another nor from one person to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies