Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
"we won the election so deal with" bit? that is the best you have? And since we are represented that makes the actions of Federal government ok? even if they are out and out right unconstitutional?
So you think the losing party should make all the rules? Do you think in a Republican controlled state that Democrats should be making all the rules because they are the minority party? If you want to see your party in charge then your party needs to do a better job at winning elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
You live in the wrong country bud. I'm thinking China might be a better fit. You would get all the direction and oversight that your missing right now in your life.

I've said it before but what the hell are they teaching in or schools and colleges these days?
Why would China be a good fit for me? That doesn't make sense, the US makes a good fit for me because I support our current American system. Maybe some European country is a better fit for you because that is a bunch of countries rather than united states.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:54 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Lol conservatives are becoming so scared and paranoid over some stupid "first world problems"

Old 08-12-2013, 02:01 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
You live in the wrong country bud. I'm thinking China might be a better fit. You would get all the direction and oversight that your missing right now in your life.

I've said it before but what the hell are they teaching in or schools and colleges these days?
Good question. Clearly, it's not grammar.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol conservatives are becoming so scared and paranoid over some stupid "first world problems"
Such as?

Old 08-12-2013, 05:04 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Repubs disliked Clinton because he was a dem but now they dislike Obama, not because he's a dem also, but because he's black? When you have nothing intelligent to say because the policies of big government are destructive the thing to do is play the race card.
You're posts are joke.
Republican always act as if no Democrat in the White House is legitimate. It started with Clinton and is continuing with Obama.

With respect to democrats and "big government," both Clinton and Obama held government spending down. But the problem with your argument, such as it is, was that the GOP attack on Obama's presidency started before he was sworn in, not after he proposed policies that te GOP objected.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:10 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No matter what kind of a twisted spin you put on it, spending my money for others causes is in no way representing me, so I don't get your lying about it. Let me know when you get your ability to think clearly, I won't be holding my breath.
No 'twist' needed. Spending money on those that are less fortunate prevents civil unrest and spending money on those other people's education builds a more productive and prosperous nation, which you ultimately benefit.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Decentralization and what system of government you live under is a problem for people in all kinds of countries, not just first world ones. I suppose 99% of South Sudanese voted for independence because they're paranoid about first world problems* such as what the government does to people - except that South Sudan is a third world country.

*In my experience "first world problems" is code for "irrelevant or trivial problems", and the basic presumption is that some squalid country in the Third World should be our gold standard for seeing what is and is not a problem. Face it - us first worlders have very significant problems too, and Africans would be fretting over all of those problems too if they had the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
No 'twist' needed. Spending money on those that are less fortunate prevents civil unrest and spending money on those other people's education builds a more productive and prosperous nation, which you ultimately benefit.
Other people's money belongs to those other people, not you, not the poor people, and not the government. If someone doesn't want to contribute, why don't you just leave them alone and mind your own business? It's quite selfish to assume that everyone else's property belongs to you just because you have some worthy cause to support.

Besides, you haven't answered the question, which is basically "if I'm forced at gunpoint by Mr. X to pay for causes that Mr. X deems to be good for society as a whole, how is Mr. X representing me?". That is a very good question. It seems to be that Mr. X (which in this case is the government) is representing himself, not me. If I was representing myself, I would give money towards causes that I support, which may or may not coincide with what Mr. X supports.

Quote:
With respect to democrats and "big government," both Clinton and Obama held government spending down. But the problem with your argument, such as it is, was that the GOP attack on Obama's presidency started before he was sworn in, not after he proposed policies that te GOP objected.
Just what universe are you living in? Under Obama government spending has increased from $2.9 trillion in FY 2008 to a proposed $3.8 trillion for FY 2014, which in case you can't do basic math is a 31% increase.

EDIT: Just what does this have to do with states' rights, anyway? That was the original topic, and the original question is that would government be more effective at the things we want it to do if it was centralized or decentralized.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
How is sending billions overseas helping me?
How is giving benefits to illegal immigrates helping me?
How is sending kids to failed schools schools to be indoctrinated helping me?

What prevents civil unrest is the fact that most of us are armed..

Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So when do I get my tax dollars back from the wars I didn't support? Oh yeah, I forgot, taxes don't work that way. You don't get to pick and choose what you fund in the country.

Did the congressman/woman you elected sign the declaration to go into Iraq without declaring war?
How about going into Afghanistan?
Egypt? Yemen? LIBYA!!!!? Syria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies