Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Those "some on the right" are nutjobs. This is the head of the Senate politicizing the deaths of soldiers to further the fake sequestration crisis.
lol, I didn't know that Harry Reid was a righty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Its just the same ole spin by politicans to draw stupid people attention.What he si sayig is that his actions by cutting the defense endagered our troops. He is free to seek exemptions for it like so mnay in the sequester excepted from cuts. In fact he is leader of party that insisted in deep defense cuts as part of it.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its just the same ole spin by politicans to draw stupid people attention.What he si sayig is that his actions by cutting the defense endagered our troops. He is free to seek exemptions for it like so mnay in the sequester excepted from cuts. In fact he is leader of party that insisted in deep defense cuts as part of it.
Oh, but, I guarantee that certain defense contractors won't lose a dime. In fact, I would not be surprised if contractors start raking in bank on "sequestration ". Putting stuff in caretaker mode, critical maintenance, security,FES operations, utility services on and on, will not just cease. However, these on base operations will be contracted out, to "save money". Actual federal personnel will be replaced by contract workers. DoD contractors are licking their chops. And these private companies donate heavily to reelection campaigns of their supporters. Sequestration...indeed!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh, but, I guarantee that certain defense contractors won't lose a dime. In fact, I would not be surprised if contractors start raking in bank on "sequestration ". Putting stuff in caretaker mode, critical maintenance, security,FES operations, utility services on and on, will not just cease. However, these on base operations will be contracted out, to "save money". Actual federal personnel will be replaced by contract workers. DoD contractors are licking their chops. And these private companies donate heavily to reelection campaigns of their supporters. Sequestration...indeed!
Well I have to disagree with you here.

Contractors will get their 40 hours a week (4x10), that is it, period, nothing more, no overtime no nothing. They are closing building down on Fridays, you just cannot be there. Eric Edwards told governmental people to not answer their phones (government furnished) on Fridays, you will do NO work.

We have several contractors who WILL be cut to 32 hours a week, that's it (this may change due to contractual agreements).

Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Absolutely. Beck spreads radical right wing propaganda, and his sheep parrot it in faux outrage just like they are programmed to do.
I'm just curious here, but, just how in the hell did you make the jump from Harry Reid to Glen Beck ???Are you just plain illiterate & can't read the topic, or, are you really that desperate to change the subject ? Talk about sheep ? You fit right in with the flock, mindless......

Nobody with any sense of decency or moral value can defend that despicable (to put it mildly) old drag hag pedophile, Harry Reid. If he would just shut the f--k up and die the world would be a better place.

Last edited by jjwebbster; 03-20-2013 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: space

Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
This faux outrage is underwhelming. It's as if a group of people just woke up to the fact that politicians will use any and every opportunity to promote their agenda. I don't like it, and I don't care much for Senator Reid, but this is not earthshaking news. He should have quit speaking after commenting on the tragedy, but it's not in his DNA to miss an opportunity like this. Conservatives would have you believe that their party is free of jerks like Reid, and they would be wrong.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well I have to disagree with you here.

Contractors will get their 40 hours a week (4x10), that is it, period, nothing more, no overtime no nothing. They are closing building down on Fridays, you just cannot be there. Eric Edwards told governmental people to not answer their phones (government furnished) on Fridays, you will do NO work.

We have several contractors who WILL be cut to 32 hours a week, that's it (this may change due to contractual agreements).
Mmmm. It will be interesting to watch this play out. Personally, I still feel the same way. I watched this happen in 95-96. When the full blown shutdown happened. The contractor didn't lose a thing. Not at the higher management levels anyway. The corruption I have seen in DoD contractors is amazing. Blatant, even. I am soooo glad to be out of that world.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Mmmm. It will be interesting to watch this play out. Personally, I still feel the same way. I watched this happen in 95-96. When the full blown shutdown happened. The contractor didn't lose a thing. Not at the higher management levels anyway. The corruption I have seen in DoD contractors is amazing. Blatant, even. I am soooo glad to be out of that world.
Well, we will have to see, but to change a contract can take years of legal, we are not even caught up for current contracts, much less ammend current contracts.

Changing hours is contractual.....Just cannot be done....

Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, we will have to see, but to change a contract can take years of legal, we are not even caught up for current contracts, much less ammend current contracts.

Changing hours is contractual.....Just cannot be done....
The particular contract I have personal knowledge of has 8 more years on it. Maintenance and management personell are bid in as overhead and that part of the contract is fixed price. Storage and de mil operates under a job to job cost plus. Security and FES operations will NEVER be cut as long as there is one round on base. Same with utilities, mainly water and boilers. They are classed as "essential services". Though, in spring and summer the boilers can be layed away.

Now, how the money gets moved around is amazing. The place could go to security and FES, and the water dept, only, real easy. And management gets to kick back in their posh offices, collecting their inflated salaries, watching the trash and tubleweeds blow by.

There is some really....creative...book keeping going on. As I said, I'm glad to be out of it. The entire set up disgusts me. No matter what happens, short of putting the joint back on the BRAC list, the contractor comes out smelling like a rose. The town? The workers? Not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies