Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Correct. Barry Sotoro was LEGALLY ADOPTED by his Indonesian step-father and that makes him NOT an American citizen. He was registered for school as a Indonesian citizen.
Sorry, but you're wrong. I don't know if he was legally adopted or not by his stepdad--I don't care because it doesn't matter. As long as he was born in the US himself (or even outside the country, which isn't the case here, with at least one parent that is a US citizen), then he's a US citizen. A parent can't renounce their child's US citizenship. The kids have to do it themselves when they come of age. Adoption by a step dad that's a foreign national doesn't do squat.

Even if the child is adopted by two foreign nationals, it doesn't make a difference, or at least it didn't used to (not sure now). I have a friend who is the biological child of a American mother living abroad with her parents when she was a teen, and a foreign dad. Her biological mother gave my friend up for adoption overseas. Guess what--once she was able to track down her birth mom through records, she was able to get US citizenship (dual citizenship), even though she was adopted and raised by a couple in another country. Her mother could legally give her up for adoption, but no parent could renounce her US citizenship. They've revised the rules since the early 80s when she did this, but I can't imagine it's changed all that much. If you don't want to believe what I'm telling you, then check the policy yourself, or call the INS and ask how a situation like that would be handled.

Last edited by mb1547; 03-21-2013 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,386,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Nor has Obama

He hid his hide, and his sheepskin!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
altho there were early birthers who were democrats ( most notably the PUMAs and phil berg ) the honor for starting birtherism goes to conservatives over on free republic:

Barackryphal: The Secret Origin of the Birthers
not quite

since 1991 it has been MENTIONED and used that he was kenyan born (a mistake from his publisher)

So no one notice after three revisions that the birthplace

1991-
Barack Obama, the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review, was born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii. The son of an American anthropologist and a Kenyan finance minister, he attended Columbia University and worked as a financial journalist and editor for Business International Corporation. He served as project coordinator in Harlem for the New York Public Interest Research Group, and was Executive Director of the Developing Communities Project in Chicago’s South Side. His commitment to social and racial issues will be evident in his first book, Journeys in Black and White.

1998-
BARACK OBAMA was the first black president of the Harvard Law Review. He was born in Kenya to an American anthropologist and a Kenyan finance minister, and was raised in Indonesia, Hawaii, and Chicago. His first book is DREAMS FROM MY FATHER: A STORY OF RACE AND INHERITANCE.
Client List

2003-
BARACK OBAMA was the first black president of the Harvard Law Review. He was born in Kenya to an American anthropologist and a Kenyan finance minister, and was raised in Indonesia, Hawaii, and Chicago. His first book is DREAMS FROM MY FATHER: A STORY OF RACE AND INHERITANCE.
Jane Dystel Literary Management

this is what started some of the stupid birthers stuff

2007-
BARACK OBAMA is the junior Democratic senator from Illinois and was the dynamic keynote speaker at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. He was also the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review. He was born in Kenya to an American anthropologist and a Kenyan finance minister and was raised in Indonesia, Hawaii, and Chicago. His first book, DREAMS FROM MY FATHER: A STORY OF RACE AND INHERITANCE, has been a long time New York Times bestseller.
Dystel & Goderich Literary Management :: Client List

If you notice, his employment and projects he was involved in around 1991 were left out in the subsequent revisions. However the birthplace "error" remained. The 98 and 03 bios are identical, both mention his published books and both retain the birth error. No one noticed?

The 2007 revision mentions his speaking at the DNC Convention, birth error remains; no one has caught on yet, even though someone had to at least look at the bio. Did no one really notice this error after viewing it again and again?

I am not a "birther"; I accept that BO was born in Hawaii. I suspect that he might have jazzed up his resume a bit. Why is this so threatening to progressives? What do they think would happen? Please. If it came out that BO misled this literary agency about his background, the media would say "so what" and tell us over and over that it doesn't matter anyway
====================

""" Obama isn't technically a northerner either since he was born in Kenya.""""
2007...The Blue State: Editorial: Obama Wins Democratic Debate
Quote:
Posted by: George | 2007.07.23 at 11:14 PM
George,
It will be interesting. I hope you're right if Obama wins the nomination. I'm nervous about Hilary making it through though.
Oh btw an edits I saw after the fact. I was excited and trying to get my thoughts into the post while they were fresh.
I meant to say about Obama that "He isn't a southerner". Obama isn't technically a northerner either since he was born in Kenya. It will be interesting to see what the right wing spin cycle does with that information. As for me I like a more international view of the world so I like the fact he was born somewhere else.
===============================

A 2007 posting at Yahoo Answers asked “If Obama bin HUSSEIN al Barack was born in Kenya, how can he run for president in the US?”

===============================

There was even a Kenyan newspaper from 2004 that casually referenced “Kenyan-born Obama.”

==========================

it did NOT start in 08 in a '''right wing blog'''

Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
if you meant the 14th amendment 2nd clause (its hard to say), then no.. .I don't see anything there.

As far as I can tell via the consitution/status/legal rulings you only need ONE parent to be a natural born US citizen.. . .or no parents and born in the U S.

Quote:
2 ) Naturalization Act of 1790 "The Act also establishes the United States citizenship of children of citizens, born abroad, without the need for naturalization: "the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond Sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born Citizens"
the 1790 act was repealed and replaced by the 1795 act...and so on and so on.

the 14th clarified who a citizen was. and each NA added to that amendment clarification.

You cant return to 2) for clarification today.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I know Ted Cruz is an American citizen and I'm certain he holds an allegiance to no country other than the USA. With that being said, it's also very clear why the left is attacking him constantly, the racism involved in these attacks is as clear as can be.

I'm no fan of Ted Cruz but his race (which is the same as mine, incidentally: white) or ethnic background has nothing to do with it. He's a raving frothy-mouthed loon, which is why I don't care for him.

And yes, IANAL but he is a US citizen as far as my understanding of US nationality law goes.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:06 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm...hannity has always said, that obama was naturally born in Hawaii, and it constitutionally quallified for the POTUS

simple, obama son of a USA CITIZEN (mom) was born in hawaii, and is a natual born citizen

cruz, born in canada, of a USA parent TRAVELING, is also a citizen...and constitutionally considered a naturally born citizen

mccain, born in US TERRITORY in panama, to USA parents is a natural born citizen

only the stupid birthers (started by democrats) think obama is a non-citizen
uhm...I never said he didn't.

He said you have to be born in the United States. He also said you didn't have to be born in the United States

Old 03-21-2013, 02:07 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I'm no fan of Ted Cruz but his race (which is the same as mine, incidentally: white) or ethnic background has nothing to do with it. He's a raving frothy-mouthed loon, which is why I don't care for him.
Whatever, we know the truth about the racism of anyone against Cruz. If Cruz were lilly white you guys would love him.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:10 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
WTF are you talking about

hannity has always said the birthers are nut cases
I never said Hannity was a birther. And show me where he calls them nut cases.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Whatever, we know the truth about the racism of anyone against Cruz. If Cruz were lilly white you guys would love him.
Nope, sorry; I vote for the candidate, not the race or ethnic background. I find Ted Cruz's opinions repugnant, which is why I did not vote for him. His name could be John Smith or Jacob Weiss and my opinion of him would be the same.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:14 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
the 1790 act was repealed and replaced by the 1795 act...and so on and so on.

the 14th clarified who a citizen was. and each NA added to that amendment clarification.

You cant return to 2) for clarification today.

Source. . .

I looked at the 14th - it doesn't restrict the consitution. Doesn't limit. . it just grants extra rights. Not sure how/why people think that you need both parents to be American (or born in US) to be President.

As far as I can tell Cruz (not Obama, since born in Hawaii) can run for President. We may have a legal motion against him, and it will be the first attempt to define "natural born citizen".

As a betting man, I think the Supreme Court would let Cruz run for President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies