Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Huge problem with that one is that the phrase is natural BORN. That can't change after you're born so if Cruz is a natural born citizen just because his mother was a citizen then Obama is a natural born citizen just because his mother was a citizen
Natural as in your birthright, your parent was a US citizen, that passes to you, unless you think a child, whose mother is a US citizen, is born on ship now has no country to call his own, a non-citizen of any nation. Or is the child a citizen of Pacific-stan, or Atalntic-stan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
The primary criteria for being a "natural born citizen" appears to be any Republican running as a "real" conservative that supports the One True Christian ideal America. All others need not apply.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 AM

26,562 posts, read 14,438,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Natural as in your birthright, your parent was a US citizen, that passes to you, unless you think a child, whose mother is a US citizen, is born on ship now has no country to call his own, a non-citizen of any nation. Or is the child a citizen of Pacific-stan, or Atalntic-stan?
birth citizenship falls under 2 criteria: jus soli ( soil ) and jus sanguinis ( blood ).

most countries recognize some variant of either to be sufficient for citizenship but...... the actual specifics for all the nations is comically complex. age, gender, residency, marital status and other factors can play a roll in transferring citizenship. it is technically possible for your boat born baby to be without citizenship, but highly unlikely.

bottom line is that it is up to each sovereign nation who they chose to consider a citizen and one country's law does not supersede another's.

as for the US requirements for "natural born citizen"....... everything i've seen indicates it's nothing more than citizen at birth ( as opposed to naturalized citizen ).

Last edited by wrecking ball; 03-22-2013 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,066 times
Quote:
I don't buy that, if being born on US soil was what they meant, then why not just say "US born citizen?"
Haploinsufficiency is one of the leading causes of half-assedness, especially where brain hemispheres are concerned.

Natural is sanguine.

Soli is the where of it all.

A Natural Born Citizen is the wherewithall.

Incomplete is incompoop.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,068 times
I think this thread needs more questions marks and exclamation points.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,036 times
It doesn't matter where Ted Cruz was born he will NEVER become POTUS.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:52 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrvn View Post
I tuned in to Hannity tonight to remind myself of why I quit watching his show, the man is fricking insane.
I did too, wanted to see how he covered Obama's speech in front of the college kids in Israel yesterday, true to form he covered the few seconds of heckling, covered the booing(boos were directed at the heckler but Hannity didn't point that out) and skipped the standing ovation for Obama completely. Hannity is a lying far right wingnut who doesn't have an ounce of credibility.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
The U.S. Constitution is the Law of the Land.

Clause B is a general rule of citizenship, which states that all persons born in the country are members of the nation.

Clause A is a specific clause that says only those members of the nation who are “natural born” may be President.

"According to the rule of statutory construction, the court must determine that Clause A requires something more than Clause B.

It’s truly that simple. This is not some crazy conspiracy theory. It’s not controversial. This is not rocket science. Every single attorney reading this right now knows, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that I have accurately explained the rule of statutory construction to you. Any attorney who denies this rule, is lying. The rule cannot be denied. And its simplicity cannot be ignored."

The Dirty “little” Secret Of The Natural Born Citizen Clause Revealed. | Natural Born Citizen

Precedent cannot rewrite original construction.
Your post is totally meaningless. I said it doesn't matter what British law says in Hawaii, it only matters what U.S. law says, and that is correct. All you have done is yammer and yap about some clause A and clause B and whatnot and then asserted that anybody who says otherwise is lying. We don't live under British law, we live under U.S. law

Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
This is the part I enjoy...

So many people regard the country as AMERICA, referring to America 'this', America 'that', America America America... but... BUT... now that someone wouldn't want a citizen to be qualified to be President it suddenly becomes The United States.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada. His mother was a U.S. citizen. Not only is Cruz an AMERICAN, he was born a U.S. citizen as his mother was a citizen - the same criteria I use to justify Obama's qualification. Like, he wasn't even born in AMERICA, just an island in the Pacific but to a U.S. citizen.
Barack Obama was born in America. Hawaii is one of the 50 states and is part of the United States of America

Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I never said that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies