Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 08:07 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,432,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
You stated that Obama was born in America. I replied that so was Ted Cruz. What has THAT got to do with the United States?

Both Canada and the United States are a part of America. As is Mexico and countless other nations south of that.
Yeah, I kinda figured that you were trying to be cute there with the word America and North and South America and all that. Under which standard Hugo Chavez would have been able to be President. But see the thing is when adults use the phrase "born in America" when discussing eligibility to be President of the United States other adults are able to figure out that they mean "America" as in the United States and not "America" as in the continents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 08:42 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,386,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arus View Post
since when was alberta, canada part of the united states?
nafta

Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I think we need a determination by the Supreme Court to define "Natural Born Citizen" and have all future presidential hopefuls vetted against this criteria.
The Supreme Court does not waste its time resettling questions that have been settled for more than 500 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964
It infuriates me that there is doubt about Obama's eligibility to be POTUS.
Then you must be furious about a lot of things. There will always be blithering idiots who doubt anything.

Last edited by HistorianDude; 03-23-2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old 03-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I think we need a determination by the Supreme Court to define "Natural Born Citizen" and have all future presidential hopefuls vetted against this criteria.
Not a bad idea.

Maybe, even, an idea whose time has come.

Let's get started immediately!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Not a bad idea.

Maybe, even, an idea whose time has come.

Let's get started immediately!
It would probably help to clarify where the law applies to the United States as opposed to America. Seems that some deem America to be the exclusive domain of the United States, constituting a single race of citizens.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
It would probably help to clarify where the law applies to the United States as opposed to America.
These United States, or, The United States?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,275,413 times
Quote:
It would probably help to clarify where the law applies to the United States as opposed to America.
Since there is no country called "America" many of those in the ENGLISH speaking world, know that when someone references "America" that person is talking about The United States of America.

So, when we are talking about NBC and POTUS eligibility, we are only talking about laws that apply to the US, and using America as a shortcut for US, is the correct usage of the word.

Our laws do not apply to Canada, Mexico, and all of South America.

Quote:
Seems that some deem America to be the exclusive domain of the United States, constituting a single race of citizens.
1) There is no such thing as a "race" of citizens. Citizens are the people of a given government, who are of MANY races.
2) America as used by normal people, have always been the in reference to the US. There is no one that I know, who call Mexico, America; Canada, America, or Any country in South America, America.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Yeah, I kinda figured that you were trying to be cute there with the word America and North and South America and all that. Under which standard Hugo Chavez would have been able to be President. But see the thing is when adults use the phrase "born in America" when discussing eligibility to be President of the United States other adults are able to figure out that they mean "America" as in the United States and not "America" as in the continents
NO! ! ! I was NOT being cute. I take the reference to America rather than United States dead serious. My passport says 'Citizen of the United States of America', not 'American of the United States'.

The only Americans around here were here long before Columbus got lost.

I take it that those who choose to consider on citizens of the U.S. to be Americans are the same citizens who endorse liberal revisionist history.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:22 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:
NO! ! ! I was NOT being cute. I take the reference to America rather than United States dead serious. My passport says 'Citizen of the United States of America', not 'American of the United States'.

The only Americans around here were here long before Columbus got lost.

I take it that those who choose to consider on citizens of the U.S. to be Americans are the same citizens who endorse liberal revisionist history.
That comment is largely incoherent. You want to try again?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,907 times
If Cruz was born in Canada, he is not eligible to be President, even if both parents were US citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies