Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM

31,006 posts, read 22,045,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

Very true. My brother-in-law's parents are from Mexico. They still identify as Mexican even though they've been here for 40 years. Their kids identify as Hispanic.
It's really up to the individual and what they self identify as. My grandmother is from Mexico and I don't consider myself hispanic or Latino. I'll say that I have Mexican heritage but the same applies to French, Scottish, English, German Spanish and others that are in my tree. I have a few cousins that have Spanish last names and some of them self describe as Mexican or Hispanic. It's their call not mine.

To me it's just a loose term created by people who like to lump a billion people in one category regardless of where they come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Wrong. Hispanic is a culture/ethnicty. Irish, Italian and American are nationalities.
What culture would that be? Chilian, Peruvian, Mexican, Guadamalen. One of the Spanish Carribbean Islands. Culturely I have more in common with someone who is African American.

It's along the lines of someone saying they are Asian? It almost means nothing other than an area of the world. There are people from Southeast Asia that are almost black, some Indian and some classic Chinese?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:14 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
What culture would that be? Chilian, Peruvian, Mexican, Guadamalen. One of the Spanish Carribbean Islands. Culturely I have more in common with someone who is African American.

It's along the lines of someone saying they are Asian? It almost means nothing other than an area of the world. There are people from Southeast Asia that are almost black, some Indian and some classic Chinese?
Those who have ancestors from Spain and who's primary language is Spanish are considered to be Hispanics. Not saying that there aren't some differences in culture among the several Hispanic countries just like there are some diffferences in American culture depending on where you are in the U.S. However, English is still our primary language. Asia is a continent. There are different races in every country. I can't believe the number of people in here that confuse race, nationality and culture/ethnicity as being one and the same.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
It's really up to the individual and what they self identify as. My grandmother is from Mexico and I don't consider myself hispanic or Latino. I'll say that I have Mexican heritage but the same applies to French, Scottish, English, German Spanish and others that are in my tree. I have a few cousins that have Spanish last names and some of them self describe as Mexican or Hispanic. It's their call not mine.

To me it's just a loose term created by people who like to lump a billion people in one category regardless of where they come from.
My question would be why self-identity as something that you are not?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
So what nationality are Italian Americans????? Italy does have it's own distinct culture.
If they were born or naturalized here they are just plain old Americans unless they hold dual citizenship with another country. If it is merely that they had ancestors from Italy that doesn't make them Italian. Italian is a nationality. Culture is another subject.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They just aren't. No one born and raised in Europe can be hispanic/latino.
Not true. A Spaniard IS a "Hispanic" in the US.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
The pope wants to go to college in the US? I think the Pope has a job. You're into a world all your own.
Uh; malamute was trying to make a point! Sheesh!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you are born and raised in a hispanic famiy according to hispanic customs and traditions then you'd be hispanic.
So the new Pope isn't hispanic? After all, he was neither born nor raised in a hispanic family. I have no idea if he was raised according to hispanic customs, but as an expat myself, I can assure you that you always retain some (sometimes much) of your own ideas of raising your kids. Particularly if both parents are expats. Thus, he fails to meet some of the requirements that you listed.

I also wonder what those hispanic customs and traditions are. Are they the same for Guatemala's Maya, Costa Rica's Bribri, Nicaragua's white elite, Ecuadorians, Peruvians, and Surinamese citizens? How about citizens from Bolivia or Guyana - what do they share with the average Mexican that is so universal that it functions to define "hispanic?"

I have always been under the impression that a vast landmass with such diverse peoples varies quite a bit in customs, habits, values, traditions, history, etc.

Help me out here, please.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
My question would be why self-identity as something that you are not?
I see your logic, I must be 100 % Aryan to identify as White guy. Guess the White population should be about 10 % then.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:

It's more than just a loose term though -- check the "hispanic" box and you qualify for affirmative action and different college admission standards, you're given preference in hiring -- even if you are blond and blue-eyed. There are many scholarships and grants that are given only to hispanics.

Those who are "white" but whose ancestry is Polish or Greek are not going to be catered to in their own language and there is no Polish month, or Greek month and no one is shoving Polish heritage down everyone's throats. There are no television ads in Greek, you don't see political candidates catering to Greek issues or Polish issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies