Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're correct that Latino applies to only Latin America. It is only a word to describe where one if from geograhically. I believe that Jennifer Lopez's family was from Puerto Rico and therefore she is not Latina because she is an American citizen and resides here. She is however, Hispanic by roots and culture.
Puerto Ricans are all American citizens, no matter where they reside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They just aren't. No one born and raised in Europe can be hispanic/latino.
Oh ok. Great retort. You've clearly allowed the US Census designations to cloud what and where Hispania is, and what Hispanic means.

Last edited by VTHokieFan; 03-25-2013 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
What is so bizarre though is that if Guilliani and the Pope wanted to go to college here or get a job, the pope being classified as a latino, would be given preference in financial aid or a job. And if their family came cufrom Greece or Poland, they would not have a separate label to make them distinct and special.

The pope being a hispanic would be more inclined to vote for pro-abortion candidates like Clinton and Obama than the other European descendents.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:59 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Sure, I would be an immigrant or expat and most certainly not a Latino. My daughter, however, was born in Latin America and grew up there - just like the pope. I am not sure that schooling or language skill are necessary qualifiers. Like all other babies, children born in Latin American nations don't speak nor go to school - they are still considered "Latino," aren't they?

My daughter has a good friend who was born just shortly after her. This friend's parents are immigrants to the same Latin American nation but both are German. Their daughter holds the same passport as mine. Is their daughter a Latina? She is basically exactly like the pope. Why would she be but not my daughter?

I am an "expat" here in the US. Does that make my daughter anything other than an American? She is a US citizen by birth. Or is she European because I am? She is a EU citizen by birth as well. If we moved to the EU, would she still be an American, or a Latina, or a European?

If we moved back to Latin America, would my daughter with her Latin American passport and birth certificate suddenly become a Latina? After all, now she would also be exactly like the pope. If not, why not? She apparently fulfills all prerequisites?

And if, why? Is living in Latin America a "must" to be considered latino? If so, how long does one have to live there?

And if living in Latin America is a "must" and my daughter cannot claim the "latino" label because she no longer lives there, can the pope still claim that he is latino now that he lives in Rome?

The mother of my niece is from the Dominican Republic, the father is Caucasian. She self-identifies as a Latina and identifies her daughter as such, too. Just going by looks, there is no way that you would not identify the daughter as hispanic even though she has never been to any Latin American country. Is she a Latina?

You see, I don't think any of these labels make any sense in our current small world. They are outdated anachronisms from a time when one could, safely, place such identifiers on entire groups due to relative isolation from other groups.
You said you are an expat in America (non-citizen), and you say your daughter was born in Latin America, so how can she be a US Citizen by birth? Are you making this up, or is your wife a US Citizen?

Being Hispanic is a reference to culture, not to race. Which culture does your daughter associate with, European or Latin American?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:01 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Oh ok. Great retort. You've clearly allowed the US Census designations to cloud what and where Hispania is, and what Hispanic means.
It is what it is. You can claim it is something else, but it doesn't make it so.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:03 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What is so bizarre though is that if Guilliani and the Pope wanted to go to college here or get a job, the pope being classified as a latino, would be given preference in financial aid or a job. And if their family came cufrom Greece or Poland, they would not have a separate label to make them distinct and special.

The pope being a hispanic would be more inclined to vote for pro-abortion candidates like Clinton and Obama than the other European descendents.
The pope wants to go to college in the US? I think the Pope has a job. You're into a world all your own.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:09 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't limit being Latino to a certain nationality, it's more of an ethnic thing, hard to describe. Lopez to me is a Latina, there are millions of Latinos with US citizenship...
Then you don't understand the meaning of what being a Latino is. I explained it in here and I guess you will just dismiss it anyway? Latino isn't an ethnic thing it is a geographical thing. Hispanic however is an ethnic/cultural thing and yes many do hold U.S. citizenhip.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then you don't understand the meaning of what being a Latino is. I explained it in here and I guess you will just dismiss it anyway? Latino isn't an ethnic thing it is a geographical thing. Hispanic however is an ethnic/cultural thing and yes many to hold U.S. citizenhip.
Indeed, I outright disagree with you

Old 03-25-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Tell that to African-Americans who have never been to any African nation. How come they are not just "American" like other Americans of European descent, for example?

My nephew is "African-American" and he has absolutely nothing to do with Africa. Good thing he wasn't born in Latin America or he would be Latino-African-American.

None of this makes any sense...
I don't believe in hyphenated Americans by nationality which is what African-American is. If one has never even been to Africa and was born here they are simply Americans. They can be black-Americans but the first just designates their race and the second describes their nationality. Your nephew would be just a plain old American by nationality. Unless he chose describe his race also as in black-American. African-American....no.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Indeed, I outright disagree with you
It isn't up for disagreement. What I said are the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies