Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
If that were the case, I would've fragged my teammates yesterday on the paintball field.
What are you talking about?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think in a similar way. I do not think it is rational or right for the innocent to suffer for the guilty. There are some Black criminals out there. Lock them up. Don't make the rest of the Black population suffer for the stupidity of a few.
And don't make the small businesses pay higher taxes because of the greed of the banks and big corporations but that is what Obama insisted upon.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not sure why some white folks think that we African American's "feel sorry for ourselves" when you consider that fact that we fought, tenaciously against oppression for more than four hundred years. It was because of African Americans that this country finally was able to live up to its professed ideals. I see nothing to be piteous about in our history.
I look at Black history like this. We were brought here by force, not by choice, enslaved, then freed, but still enduring racism and discrimination in many ways, and then having to fight back, having to fight for our rights. There were things that were accomplish, despite the treatment we were subjected to. Segregated military, and yet, Blacks still fought valiantly for this nation, helped built the U.S. stretch of the Alcan Highway in Alaska. Famous writers, inventors, and leaders. We had to fight to gain rights in this nation.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
I look at Black history like this...
I think it would be a rarity to find black folk who would think differently.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think it would be a rarity to find black folk who would think differently.
I know it would be quite rare. In my personal life, there are many things I consider. My father's side of the family was part of the Great Migration. I have families members to tell me what went on. My view is shaped not only by reading about it, but having families members tell me about some of the things that went on.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,235 times
Quote:
I look at Black history like this. We were brought here by force, not by choice, enslaved, then freed, but still enduring racism and discrimination in many ways, and then having to fight back, having to fight for our rights. There were things that were accomplish, despite the treatment we were subjected to. Segregated military, and yet, Blacks still fought valiantly for this nation, helped built the U.S. stretch of the Alcan Highway in Alaska. Famous writers, inventors, and leaders. We had to fight to gain rights in this nation.
We had to fight the same as you but still don't squawk as much as you

Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 PM

Discrimination has been done towards Blacks from day one. While many things have changed, some things haven't changed. Discrimination takes place. There are still people who try to justify discrimination. There are those who try to downplay what has been done to Black people, and there are those who would just as quickly disregard the history of Black people.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,154 times
...Likewise all whites should not be penalized because some whites owned slaves over 100 years ago!

BTW...blacks owned black and white slaves in this country too!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
...Likewise all whites should not be penalized because some whites owned slaves over 100 years ago!

BTW...blacks owned black and white slaves in this country too!
First of all, I do not blame all White people for slavery. I know most Whites in America didn't own slaves. However, there are some things I need to call doubt on. There were very few, if any, Black slave owners, and they were mostly the Creole people in Louisiana. Second, Whites went through, indentured labor, not slavery. There is a difference. Whites "slaves" were indentured laborers in the USA. After about 7 years, the work contract ended and indentured servants were as free as anyone else. And if a White indentured laborer ran away, said laborer couldn't be distinguished from any other free White person. Blacks, on the other hand, were slaves, and slavery was permanent.

Most Whites didn't own slaves in this nation. Most Whites weren't slaves either. However, most Blacks were slaves. Black Americans, for the most part, are descended from slaves. Slavery was the whole reason Blacks were in the USA at all.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:48 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,154 times
THE reasons blacks were slaves was because your African brothers captured and sold your ancestors... They are doing it to this day! Rather than whine about yesterday, why not take action today and save someone's tomorrow?

Oh, yeah...that takes effort.

...and as for the white slaves...they were treated much worse than black slaves.
Learn REAL history! Not just what you've been spoon fed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies