Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM

73,230 posts, read 62,913,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, green, I usually like your posts, but. . .

If you took Denver out of Colorado's stats, and Chicago out of Illinois' stats, etc. It is what it is.
I was just trying to point out that there is more there than meets the eye. I was analyzing the murder rates on a more detailed level. I wasn't trying to sound ignorant or anything like that. I was actually trying to stop those who sound very ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 PM

26,664 posts, read 15,215,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Most white States

Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
West Virginia
Iowa
North Dakota
Wyoming
Idaho
Montana
Kentucky

Lowest Murder Rate States

Maine 2.0 1.8 2.0 2.4 1.6 1.7 1.4 1.4 1.2 1.1 1.4 1.2 2.2 2 2 2
Utah 1.9 1.9 1.4 1.4 2.2 1.8 2.3 1.9 2.5 2 3 1.9 2.1 3.1 2.4 3.2
Iowa 1.5 1.2 1.3 2.5 1.2 1.8 1.3 1.6 1.6 1.5 1.7 1.6 1.5 1.9 1.8 1.9
Minnesota 1.4 1.8 1.4 2.1 2.2 2.4 2.2 2.2 2.5 2.2 2.4 3.1 2.8 2.6 2.8 3.6
Rhode Island 1.3 2.8 3.0 2.8 1.8 2.6 3.2 2.4 2.3 3.8 3.7 4.3 3.6 2.4 2.5 2.5
Vermont 1.3 1.1 1.3 2.7 1.9 1.9 1.3 2.6 2.3 2.1 1.1 1.5 2.9 2.6 1.5 1.9
New Hampshire 1.3 1.0 0.8 1 1.1 1 1.4 1.4 1.4 0.9 1.4 1.8 1.5 1.5 1.4 1.7
Hawaii 1.2 1.8 1.8 1.9 1.7 1.6 1.9 2.6 1.7 1.9 2.6 2.9 3.7 2 4 3.4

So what states out perform here? The Red State of Utah. (Mormons) They have a good share of non whites and they have a low murder rate. Then you have the not so white, liberal states of Hawaii, Rhode Island, Minnesota all making the low murder rate top ten.

All 5, Red States on the most white top ten list, didn't make the top ten lowest murder rate list.

Just more evidence. Liberal states are less violent than Red States, accounting for race.
Meh....

In Michigan the more a county votes blue the higher the murder rate tends to be. Doesn't fit perfectly, but there is a glaring trend.

Also the most white Democrat states tend to be more affluent, richer and have a different culture than the most white Republicans states.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos331 View Post
Interesting. All the states with the highest murder rates also have the highest black populations.
New Mexico has one of the highest murder rates, and it doesn't have a high Black population. Nevada and Alaska used to have some of the highest murder rates in the nation, and both have small Black populations.

For me, it isn't a matter of seeing the statistics, but looking behind those statistics. You say it is because of high Black populations. I will respond and challenge you to think about this. What is driving the high murder rate within a certain segment of the Black population? What was driving the murder rate in Nevada and Alaska from the early 1960s into the 1980s? You have to look deeper into this rather than taking the easy way out.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Does LA have gun control laws?
Not strict ones. Vermont doesn't have strict gun laws either. Seattle has lax gun laws for being a major city, and has one of the lowest murder rates in the nation. Utah has very lax gun laws, and has one of the lowest murder rates in the nation.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
Poverty is one of the biggest causes, maybe the biggest cause, of violence.
Poverty is a part of it, but not the only part. Other factors include lack of education, drug trade, the way is person is raised in the home. Violence is an issue with many causes, and requires many solutions.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 PM

92 posts, read 56,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
New Mexico has one of the highest murder rates, and it doesn't have a high Black population. Nevada and Alaska used to have some of the highest murder rates in the nation, and both have small Black populations.

For me, it isn't a matter of seeing the statistics, but looking behind those statistics. You say it is because of high Black populations. I will respond and challenge you to think about this. What is driving the high murder rate within a certain segment of the Black population? What was driving the murder rate in Nevada and Alaska from the early 1960s into the 1980s? You have to look deeper into this rather than taking the easy way out.
Well in the case of Nevada, that place is the gambling capital of the world practically. There's lots of drugs, prostitution (which is legal in some nevada counties btw), gambling and general crime. It's a cesspool so that's not very surprising.

New Mexico is almost entirely Mexican, I'd imagine the New Mexican border is a hot bed for drug smugglers from Mexico.

Alaska is interesting to dissect as there's many reasons for this. Isolation is likely a factor, alcoholism among the native alaskans is rampant. Ever seen that alaska state trooper show? Almost every incident involves an alaskan native and alcohol. Another thing to take into consideration is the very low population in Alaska.

But when we look at states like Lousianna and Mississippi, both of which have the highest populations of blacks in the United States and the highest murder rates, we can easily attribute the crime and murder rate to the fact that there's lots of blacks there. New Orleans for a long time remained the murder capital of the U.S., but that title has shifted from New Orleans, to Camden New Jersey, to the South Side of Chicago, to Philidelphia to Detroit (all of which are either half or majority black locations.) As far as what's the cause for this is up for debate. Everyones entitled to their opinion of coarse.

My opinion is that black men don't want to be fathers and black women don't have enough respect for themselves because they lay down and have sex with the first thing that comes their way. So there's lots of out of wedlock births, and it's proven that children without a stable house hold tend to join gangs and engage in criminal activity. IMO blacks need more contraceptives to prevent these out of wed lock births that have destroyed it over the years.

Again, it's all up for speculation. But looking at this map we can see that the vast majority of states with high crime rates also have high black populations.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Meh....

In Michigan the more a county votes blue the higher the murder rate tends to be. Doesn't fit perfectly, but there is a glaring trend.

Also the most white Democrat states tend to be more affluent, richer and have a different culture than the most white Republicans states.
With Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw, they have had issues with high unemployment, high poverty, lower education levels, and drug trade. That plays a big part.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,245,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Most white States

Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
West Virginia
Iowa
North Dakota
Wyoming
Idaho
Montana
Kentucky

Lowest Murder Rate States

Maine 2.0 1.8 2.0 2.4 1.6 1.7 1.4 1.4 1.2 1.1 1.4 1.2 2.2 2 2 2
Utah 1.9 1.9 1.4 1.4 2.2 1.8 2.3 1.9 2.5 2 3 1.9 2.1 3.1 2.4 3.2
Iowa 1.5 1.2 1.3 2.5 1.2 1.8 1.3 1.6 1.6 1.5 1.7 1.6 1.5 1.9 1.8 1.9
Minnesota 1.4 1.8 1.4 2.1 2.2 2.4 2.2 2.2 2.5 2.2 2.4 3.1 2.8 2.6 2.8 3.6
Rhode Island 1.3 2.8 3.0 2.8 1.8 2.6 3.2 2.4 2.3 3.8 3.7 4.3 3.6 2.4 2.5 2.5
Vermont 1.3 1.1 1.3 2.7 1.9 1.9 1.3 2.6 2.3 2.1 1.1 1.5 2.9 2.6 1.5 1.9
New Hampshire 1.3 1.0 0.8 1 1.1 1 1.4 1.4 1.4 0.9 1.4 1.8 1.5 1.5 1.4 1.7
Hawaii 1.2 1.8 1.8 1.9 1.7 1.6 1.9 2.6 1.7 1.9 2.6 2.9 3.7 2 4 3.4

So what states out perform here? The Red State of Utah. (Mormons) They have a good share of non whites and they have a low murder rate. Then you have the not so white, liberal states of Hawaii, Rhode Island, Minnesota all making the low murder rate top ten.

All 5, Red States on the most white top ten list, didn't make the top ten lowest murder rate list.

Just more evidence. Liberal states are less violent than Red States, accounting for race.
Go by their major cities where the majority of the capital crimes are committed, recompute. Philadelphia, Detroit, New Orleans, Vegas, etc.....that's a clearer picture if you try to pin down race. That, or dilute them as you have done by including a larger population clearly distant from the action.

I don't have a horse in the race. The facts don't lie. Go to where the murders are actually committed and it paints a picture by race. It's unavoidable.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos331 View Post
Well in the case of Nevada, that place is the gambling capital of the world practically. There's lots of drugs, prostitution (which is legal in some nevada counties btw), gambling and general crime. It's a cesspool so that's not very surprising.

New Mexico is almost entirely Mexican, I'd imagine the New Mexican border is a hot bed for drug smugglers from Mexico.

Alaska is interesting to dissect as there's many reasons for this. Isolation is likely a factor, alcoholism among the native alaskans is rampant. Ever seen that alaska state trooper show? Almost every incident involves an alaskan native and alcohol. Another thing to take into consideration is the very low population in Alaska.

But when we look at states like Lousianna and Mississippi, both of which have the highest populations of blacks in the United States and the highest murder rates, we can easily attribute the crime and murder rate to the fact that there's lots of blacks there. New Orleans for a long time remained the murder capital of the U.S., but that title has shifted from New Orleans, to Camden New Jersey, to the South Side of Chicago, to Philidelphia to Detroit (all of which are either half or majority black locations.) As far as what's the cause for this is up for debate. Everyones entitled to their opinion of coarse.

My opinion is that black men don't want to be fathers and black women don't have enough respect for themselves because they lay down and have sex with the first thing that comes their way. So there's lots of out of wedlock births, and it's proven that children without a stable house hold tend to join gangs and engage in criminal activity. IMO blacks need more contraceptives to prevent these out of wed lock births that have destroyed it over the years.

Again, it's all up for speculation. But looking at this map we can see that the vast majority of states with high crime rates also have high black populations.
Like I said, race isn't everything. Race is a correlation, but you have to look at the social factors. That is why I brought up Alaska and Nevada.

And New Mexico is not entirely Mexican. A large part of the population is Mexican, but not the entire population. And think about this. Texas, next door, has a much lower murder rate than New Mexico, with both large Hispanic and large Black populations. Houston, which has a large Black population, had a murder rate of 9.2 murders per 100,000 in 2011. Missouri City, TX, where Blacks are the largest ethnic group, has a low crime rate, and high median family income. Income and crime going hand in hand in this case.

Philadelphia, New Orleans, Chicago, and Detroit also have large numbers of Blacks living in poverty and in the projects. Louisiana and Mississippi have high levels of poverty among Blacks, as well as lower attainment of education. However, I will say this. Mississippi has one of the lowest Black murder rates in the nation, even though it has one of the highest murder rates in the nation. Louisiana has one of the highest Black murder rates in the nation. Mississippi has high numbers of Blacks living in rural areas, and Mississippi is the least urbanized state in the union. There are more Blacks living in rural areas than urban areas. No opportunity for gangs to reach those areas, as they would go to the urban areas. New Orleans is a hotbed of gang activity, so drugs go there. Same goes for Detroit, Philadelphia, Chicago, and other cities. Ask yourself this. Why don't Black gang members deal drugs in White areas?

Another case would be Virginia. Virginia has a similar number of Blacks as Maryland. However, think about this. All of the criminals who commit crimes, they prefer going to Prince George's County, Maryland than Virginia. Virginia has stricter laws(oddly, Maryland has the stricter gun laws). Maryland also has Baltimore. Virginia has a high number of Blacks, and a low Black murder rate. Maryland has a higher Black murder rate. Maryland has a higher murder rate over all.

And your "Blacks need more contraceptives" comment shows your level of ignorance. The Black birth rate is similar to the White birth rate. Black women are also more likely to get abortions than White women. The out of wedlock births, well, I can't say that isn't a major problem, because it is. However, why is it that this has skyrocketed since the 1970s? What has happened? Why has the out of wedlock birth rates for most ethnic groups in the USA has risen since the 1970s? What are the education and poverty levels of those who often have children out of wedlock.

If you were to adjust for poverty levels, education levels, out of wedlock birth rates, I would say the murder rates among the races would be similar, but we have no way of doing this.

The difference is that I think on a deeper level. I see the statistics, but I also look behind those statistics, and look deeper. I don't go on the "it's Black people", I ask what is causing such problems among certain segments of the Black population. I ask because this isn't everyone in the Black community committing these murders, it isn't the majority. I ask more questions because I know there is more than meets the eye. I see the maps, I see other stats, but stats don't always tell you everything.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Go by their major cities where the majority of the capital crimes are committed, recompute. Philadelphia, Detroit, New Orleans, Vegas, etc.....that's a clearer picture if you try to pin down race. That, or dilute them as you have done by including a larger population clearly distant from the action.

I don't have a horse in the race. The facts don't lie. Go to where the murders are actually committed and it paints a picture by race. It's unavoidable.
Check out the poverty levels, education levels, and other social problems that take place. I know what you are trying to say. However, do you ever stop to look behind those statistics, to what is driving those statistics. Do you ever ask why one part of the Black population has so much violence, but other segments of the Black population don't?

There is a big difference between Baltimore,MD, and Bowie,MD. There is a big difference between New Orleans,LA and Missouri City,TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies