Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 01:23 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times

Advertisements

womens rights is not for equality is for dominance and being independent..interesting thing is though women want jobs that men do but there are some men who get looked at funny or even discriminated against for applying or doing a job thats stereotyped for women BY women..

but yet you scream for equality?

FEMINIST<--Sheesh, go fetch me a sandwich lol J/K

Old 04-10-2013, 01:28 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
womens rights is not for equality is for dominance and being independent..interesting thing is though women want jobs that men do but there are some men who get looked at funny or even discriminated against for applying or doing a job thats stereotyped for women BY women..

Proof?

My wife works in the automotive field. As a computer geek. She gets all kinds of strange looks when discussing her career.

Women in lot's of fields are treated poorly, but they keep right on working.
Maybe men should but on their big boy pants, and do the job they want. Don't worry about others, they don't have to live your life.

Seriously. Are men so fragile that condescending remarks can hurt them? Women deal with this crap every day.

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:

I'm betting that they're "looked at funny" more because the job is low paying, and it is true that the world expects men to go out in the world and support their families, while women are given more flexibility because the expectation is that some women will be in and out of the workforce because of child rearing, and that some may work part-time and only for extra income. For instance--if you are a male pediatrician who works all day with kids, no one will look at you funny. If you are a 40 year old aide in a child care center making minimum wage, there's going to be some raised eyebrows. There would also be raised eyebrows if you're flipping burgers at McDonalds.

And for the record--our school district has a couple of male para-educators who work with the special needs kids in elementary. One gentleman is retired from a previous career, and the other WAS a stay at home dad, but the kids went to school and he was looking for a job that gave him flexibility and worked around school hours (he has a special needs child of his own). His wife has a great job. No one looks at either of them "funny."

Last edited by mb1547; 04-10-2013 at 01:38 PM..

2,505 posts, read 2,327,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I skimmed quickly, but here's my favorite line of the so called "research" you posted.
"What is more violent, brandishing a knife at your spouse in the heat of an argument, refusing to wear a condom, or calling your spouse fat or stupid? NISVS did not ask about knife-wielding, but did ask about condoms and name-calling. Men were more often the victims of both psychological aggression ("expressive aggression" and "coercive control") and control of reproductive or sexual health."

They're calling men victims of domestic violence if their female partner insists that they wear a condom or calls them a name. Seriously? Name calling isn't nice, but I've never known anyone to go to a shelter because their spouse calls them names. That's when you walk out and get a divorce--not cower in fear. As for the rest--If I don't want to be pregnant or catch a disease, I'd be pretty hard core about making a male partner wear a condom too. My body, my rules. Your "researcher" is trying to use that as examples of sexual coercion and abuse. Who IS this nut writing this stuff? Having a law degree means squat unless you have some credibility and a professional background in the field you're writing about.

Here's the real research that your goofy site cherry picked data from:
http://www.cdc.gov/violencepreventio...port2010-a.pdf

"Approximately 1 in 4 women and nearly 1 in 7 men in the U.S. have experienced severe physical violence by an intimate partner at some point in their lifetime." When you go on to read through the report, Black and Native American men ARE reporting high levels of physical violence against them--close to 50%, which would account for the one in seven number being as high as it. That becomes more of a cultural factor than just a straight issue of male/female violence.

Do an actual study and it will show the real facts. Much of the information on domestic violence against men is anecdotal, because of the lack of funding to study the problem. Many organizations explore domestic violence, the biggest single resource is the Department of Justice, which administers grants through its Office on Violence Against Women. The grants are given on the basis that it studies domestic violence against women or in general. No focus on domestic violence on men. Why? because people like you refuse to admit it happens as much as it does. When it does happen, the commentary is usually saying the man is weak, lucky, or derserved it in some way.

And it say's they didn't ask about physical violence. If it had the results would be different. Everytime they do one of these reports the gap closes more and more.

I just read this article (Domestic Violence: Are Women As Abusive As Men?) and found that I agree with the authors ending argument. It isn't a win for either side to claim they are more abused, we should be comparing the level of damage inflicted, we should be uniting to end it. The Men's rights group that I belong to, though small, is doing just that. We want to end domestic violence, but understand we can't do that if we systematically ignore or lessen the impact of domestic violence against men.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Seriously, you aren't helping with such comments. Women don't want dominance and I see nothing wrong with a woman wanting independence.

I will agree that men who apply for commonly women filled industries they get looked at oddly. A man will have a hard time getting a job at a coffee stand, daycare, or preschool. Jobs that work closely with children are often tougher for men to get as they aren't seen as nurturing or the caregiver type.

Although anecdotal and cannot be verified by anyone other than my wife: I went to the Girl Scouts to volunteer and was met with questioning eyes. My wife applied and was accepted quickly, I am still holding out for them to accept my application. We are both STAR certified and have worked with children. I have more experience than my wife does, but her application went right through.

The difference with women's rights and mens rights is that women are dealing with discrimination based on society's perception of their quality of work, men are dealing with discrimination based on society's perception on what is or is not normal male behavior.

The sandwich comments are annoying and do not help, joking or not. Please stop.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Proof?

My wife works in the automotive field. As a computer geek. She gets all kinds of strange looks when discussing her career.

Women in lot's of fields are treated poorly, but they keep right on working.
Maybe men should but on their big boy pants, and do the job they want. Don't worry about others, they don't have to live your life.

Seriously. Are men so fragile that condescending remarks can hurt them? Women deal with this crap every day.
Wheres your proof? Basically your saying its ok for men to be discriminated by women in any instance because women go through it

Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm betting that they're "looked at funny" more because the job is low paying, and it is true that the world expects men to go out in the world and support their families, while women are given more flexibility because the expectation is that some women will be in and out of the workforce because of child rearing, and that some may work part-time and only for extra income. For instance--if you are a male pediatrician who works all day with kids, no one will look at you funny. If you are a 40 year old aide in a child care center making minimum wage, there's going to be some raised eyebrows. There would also be raised eyebrows if you're flipping burgers at McDonalds.

And for the record--our school district has a couple of male para-educators who work with the special needs kids in elementary. One gentleman is retired from a previous career, and the other WAS a stay at home dad, but the kids went to school and he was looking for a job that gave him flexibility and worked around school hours (he has a special needs child of his own). His wife has a great job. No one looks at either of them "funny."

Do you think it's right to look at a man funny for working in childcare or McDonalds? Men do have the right to work wherever they want, without someone unjustly judging them.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Wheres your proof? Basically your saying its ok for men to be discriminated by women in any instance because women go through it
No, I'm saying you can not control what others think about you, or your job. You can deal with it, and get the job you want, or be pushed around by others opinions of what you do.

That goes for men and women.

Now if a man or woman is not hired, or is fired based solely on their gender, That is discrimination. There are legal routes to deal with that problem, and those legal options are open to both men and women.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Do you think it's right to look at a man funny for working in childcare or McDonalds? Men do have the right to work wherever they want, without someone unjustly judging them.
Everyone judges everyone. There is no way to stop that.
ACTUAL discrimination (firing or not hiring based on gender) is illegal and both men and women have the SAME legal recourse available to them.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
If a feminists doesn't like me for taking a stand against male discrimination, I am 100% ok with them hating me. The truth is hard to swallow, but the sooner you do the easier it is and the better you will be. Once you've come to understand and accept that men are discriminated against in some cases and that it isn't ok, you will be a better person and can help progress human rights.
Please, provide some documented examples of men being discriminated against because of their gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies