Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 02:08 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,221,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I dont know if men catch more flack in the job market than women or not, but I DO know men's health issues arent as well studied nor as well addressed as female health issues. Now this will be downplayed as being caused by the stereotype that men dont tend to their own health issues as closely as women/dont go to the doctor as often etc. There may be a bit of truth to that but I would venture to ask why dont men go to the doctor as often as women? I think its because going to doctors means that something is or could be wrong. And diminished health is considered a weakness, and men are conditioned by society and are expected by women not to appear weak. And I think if this is a dynamic that we seek to change then we would actively and collectively have to encourage men to address their specific health issues so that acting tough override living to see tomorrow. But yet we dont. You dont see women in the WNBA wearing blue shoes one month out of the season to support prostate or testicular cancer, the way men in the NFL support breast cancer research, despite the fact that prostate cancer now kills nearly as many men as breast cancer kills women. Even in media, men's bodies and their health issues are used more for comedic fodder than anything. Either that, or their told to deal with it or suck it up or some other ego-motivational tripe that doesnt solve the actual health problem.
Then why is it that every wife I know, myself included, nags their husbands to eat right, and go to the doctor when they're sick or to stay on top of their physcials?. Women don't view men as weak for taking care of their health--if anyone does it's MEN. Here's what I'm getting from you guys--you're blaming women for all these things that have absolutely nothing to do with women. Look at yourselves and make changes there first.

Honestly--I also think they don't want to deal with having an annual "bend over and cough" physical, or heaven forbid, a colonoscopy. Women have to do something comparable every year, but it doesn't stop them from seeking health care, at least according to the data.

As for disease and treatment being geared toward women--not true. In fact, heart disease is a great example. Women were under represented in studies for years, so it was assumed that women didn't suffer as great of a risk, and when they were affected, that treatment should be the same as men. Once people actually did the research with women, they found that both assumptions were untrue.
Heart Disease - Differences Between Men and Women

Old 04-10-2013, 02:09 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,330,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Yep. I've heard it a thousand times. No matter how heinous a man's treatment of his wife and children, when he loses custody it's the feminazis' fault. Or the prejudiced judicial system. Take you pick.

Bet he's practicing up for taking his case to trial and reading up on Richard Gardner's fascinating, if repellant and completely fabricated, theories on fathers.
Wow, such hate directed at me when you have no idea who I am. Such intelligence is rivalled only by rocks.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Same old same old. Feminism is about equality for women. Some blokes are used to being the center of attention, and therefore feminism offends their sensibilities. Too bad so sad.
Apparently gender equality is also only about women.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,247,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
The difference between a woman working in a normally male dominated field and a man working in a normally female dominated field, is that a woman's motive isn't questioned. She isn't going to be accused of wanting to work in the automotive field so she can damage other peoples cars. Men are accused of being perverted for working in childcare. When I worked at the a daycare we had people pull their kids out when they discovered a man was there, changing their diapers and helping them go to the bathroom. They are ok with a woman doing it, but not a man. I could tell the owner of the daycare didn't like losing customers and she began to limit my hours and moved me to work in the kitchen away from the children. I was basically accused and found guilty of something I had never done.

Some examples of discrimination:
MAN WORKING AT CHILD'S DAYCARE??? MOTHERS OF 2 AND 3 YEAR OLDS ONLY PLEASE!!? - Yahoo! Answers
Male Daycare Worker .. What to do? - Yahoo! Answers
***WMASAW: What Men Are Saying About Women..: Stigma and suspicion a reality for male childcare workers..
‘Child Abuser’ Label Keeps Men from Teaching, Childcare Occupations « Fathers & Families

This article although attempting to reduce the stigma, in the end just enforces it: Should more men work in daycare?
http://www.maschiselvatici.it/miti.pdf

Men who try to work in such fields are met with suspicion. Women who try to work in mechanics are not.
Yahoo answers, and a blog post. Yet again no evidence of legal discrimination.
The only way to change opinions is for men to get out there and do the jobs. Yes you will hear criticism, but many people do every day.

How would you regulate peoples opinions? You can't, just like women can't.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
There is no way for a man to prove he was denied a job because he is a man.
And there is no way for a woman to prove that she was denies a job for her gender. Everyone is equal.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,688,731 times
Quote:
We don't need selective service anymore. There just isn't a need for it. I acknowledge the sacrifice so many men and women made over the course of our history. But selective service is no longer needed and is just one way to systematically make men seen as disposable. If you don't register with selective service you cannot get a school loan/grant, you can't get a license, or register to vote. Failure to register can result in prison time. This is wrong.

Selective Service System: Fast Facts

So I a man refuses to accept the disposabilty of his life, he subjects himself to discriminate.
You see, here's why you're so off base.

Your thesis is not only that your so-called men's rights groups have legitimate positions, but also that feminists attack men's rights groups for holding those positions.

You will have a very hard time finding a feminst who defends the present laws of the Selective Service System. I suspect that most agree with you that registration is no longer needed, and that if there is going to be registration it should apply equally to men and women.

Nevertheless, you insist on going beyond simply arguing that you have certain issues that are worthy of attention, and to claim that you are attacked and prevented from raising those issues by "feminists".

Maybe you should spend less time attacking feminists and more time advancing whatever political issues you think are important.

Oh, and one more tiny thing: all of our lives are disposable, and you might as well accept it. You're not going to live forever.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
My wife works in childcare because she enjoys it. I worked in childcare because I enjoyed it. The myth about it has lower pay, therefore men don't want to work there is a lie.
You worked in childcare, yet claim that men are discriminated in the child care field.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Apparently gender equality is also only about women.
You still haven't shown even one instance of legal inequality.
You can't claim that people thinking mean things about you is discrimination.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Then why is it that every wife I know, myself included, nags their husbands to eat right, and go to the doctor when they're sick or to stay on top of their physcials?. Women don't view men as weak for taking care of their health--if anyone does it's MEN. Here's what I'm getting from you guys--you're blaming women for all these things that have absolutely nothing to do with women. Look at yourselves and make changes there first.
Please, read this as often as it takes to burn through to your brain, I'll make it easier to read for you:
WE'RE NOT BLAMING WOMEN. WE'RE BLAMING SOCIETY FOR THEIR FALSE PERCEPTION OF WHAT IS AND IS NOT NORMAL MALE BEHAVIOR, WHAT ROLES MEN SHOULD FILL, AND HOW MEN SHOULD DEAL WITH VIOLENCE AND SEXUAL ASSAULT. WE ARE TRYING TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE OF THIS WHILE MANY OF YOU HAVE SUGGESTED BUT KEEP DENYING OR TELLING US TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE. HELLO!!! THAT IS WHAT WE ARE DOING.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,069,648 times
For the same reason wives let themselves go and men should just accept that. If men tell them to eat healthy or lose weight, they're seen as inconsiderate and unreasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

Honestly--I also think they don't want to deal with having an annual "bend over and cough" physical, or heaven forbid, a colonoscopy. Women have to do something comparable every year, but it doesn't stop them from seeking health care, at least according to the data.

As for disease and treatment being geared toward women--not true. In fact, heart disease is a great example. Women were under represented in studies for years, so it was assumed that women didn't suffer as great of a risk, and when they were affected, that treatment should be the same as men. Once people actually did the research with women, they found that both assumptions were untrue.
Heart Disease - Differences Between Men and Women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies