Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Having Cheney & Kissenger attend will be more than enough so that they can pay their last respects to their failed actions & policies that have come home to roost for the rest of us.
Regardless of how you might feel about her and her policies or I might feel, not sending a White House rep is a slap in the face and the Brits have every right to be pissed. To me, this a disgrace, a political blunder and some of those posting here, today are showing how hateful they can be toward anyone they do not agree with. How many have heard the word "class"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I know that. I live here. But to me as a Republican Cameron is my Head of State as I do not really recognise the Monarchy as a valid system of governance. So yes Queenie is strictly Head of State. But Cameron is the one who inflicts his policies and actually has the real power politically....

He is the one pulling all the strings and whose party is responsible for the daily life of 60 million people. And in my eyes Merkel is also Head of State of Germany not Joachim Gauck. Not the correct legalistic term but what I consider a Head of State.

I think you knew what I meant anyway. Just playing the semantics game it seems. Thatcher was the one who brought Britain to its knees she should be considered the one who was the Head of the country.
Fair enough, though it was worth pointing it out anyway since many of my fellow Americans do not realize that the PM is not the head of state.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,753 times
Again, the neo-cons are expecting President Obama to be sniveling and subservient to our allies that need us more than we need them. Very strange.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
And the Brits are ticked off - Margaret Thatcher funeral: President Obama won't send envoy - and leaves it to her old allies from Reagan era | Mail Online

Why not? This will be a busy week for the president pushing gun control issues. Really, they couldn't even spare that moron Biden? This is a truely classless move by a classless president.
Why do you want Biden to attend, so you can complain about his hotel bills?

They're sending the former Secy of State who actually worked with Thatcher. I don't see why this is a big deal.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times
All living former US presidents were invited to attend...none of them are. Where is the outrage that Bush I, Bush II and Clinton are not attending.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:46 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I wonder what the odds are that Cheney will be arrested for war crimes while in Europe?
Mr. irrelevant strikes again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Same odds as Onumbnuts getting droned for his War crimes?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
This is a huge diplomatic blunder. The Brits will remember this. Obama had no problem providing aid for the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt...but what do you expect of this peasant prince. If they are smart they had better send someone....England is the mother land of America whether you like it or not. Intelligent leaders respect the left and the right..Liberal bias should not come into play when it comes to international relations. Never under estimate the power and influence of the British right and might.
They'll remember this and do WHAT?? What are they gonna do about it?

What...they're gonna come and save our asses from a German invasion?

Let's not lose sight of which country is in the greater debt of the other here.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,343,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I wonder what the odds are that Cheney will be arrested for war crimes while in Europe?
What crimes did he commit exactly that he could be arrested for? I know this is a fun LWNJ talking point and a favorite but feel free to elaborate if you possibly can.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Considering the outrage and controversy at Mrs T being given a ceremonial funeral at the cost of 10 million pounds during a time of austerity I don't think most Brits are going to notice much....

She was the most divisive politician possibly in British History and her toxic legacy is still with us to this day.

Her funeral is an outrage and morally bankrupt decision considering we are told there is no money for nurses, social workers or teachers but plenty for a multimillionaire whose family could afford to pay for her own bloody funeral.

The woman who hated "parasites" and "scroungers" now scrounging off the British taxpayer. Quelle surprise.
Plus she was a buddy of Pinochet.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,545 times
Contrary to what I believe is the untruthful discussion title, and inaccurate later assertions ... the President has appointed a delegation to represent the United States at the funeral/memorial for private citizen Margaret Thatcher. Surprising to me, he's asked Reagan-era senior government officials to lead the delegation.

Schultz, Baker to lead U.S. delegation at Thatcher funeral | Reuters

Nothing would stop any of the former U.S. Presidents, Republican or Democrat, from attending on their own. Or leaders of the U.S. Congress, or the U.S. Supreme Court. I note that not one will attend ... if published reports accurately disclose the plans for the event.

Margaret Thatcher was a polarizing figure in the UK ... and remains so today ... and she was not someone the current President had a head of state, or other, relationship with.

Last edited by gomexico; 04-16-2013 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies